My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ESPImperium

Re: My F1 car - LegendaryM

I think, depanding on where your suspension pickups are located, your design lends its self to my posible loophole in the DDD rules for 2011.

Nice to see a nice front wing update thats cleaner than the last one.

Joao

LegendaryM wrote:
Joao wrote: Howdy!
I and a few friends of mine, are planning to actually build an F1 car.
We do not have the money to use carbon fibber...
But yet again, we plan to use fiber glass arround a frame chassis.
We plan to use rapid prototyping to build most of the parts.
And i was wondering if you authorized us to build one of your cars....
We needed you to provide us with a few sections... more like slices in order to build the mould...

By the way, good job.
I'd be happy to send you the 3d model of the car. What format would you prefer?

An update:
1. A new cascade element, which bends down to direct air away from the front wheels, similar to mclaren's second endplate.
2. the camera housings have been moved to behind the front wing supports.
3. I have added a shield infront of the front wheel rim, similar to the F10
4. I have added mercedes style vanes
5. I have added an airbox winglet, which can be quite large due to the thin rollover structure
6. I have added a fence along the side of the floor to reduce the amount of air going from the top to under the floor.
7. I have tightened the rear bodywork
8. I have added an exhaust blown diffuser by moving the exhausts backwards and adding some vanes. Here is a better picutre (i have hidden the rear wing and rear suspension
Thank's a lot. It will be an honor bringing to life one of your cars.
Any format that can be read by solidworks or alibre would be fine.
Here you have my address:
joao.carimo@hotmail.co.uk
And once again thank you very very much.
I'll keep you updated as soon as the project evolves.

seenathkumar

I think these designs will encourage F1 lovers and other engineer's. =D>

ACross32

LegendaryM wrote: I'd be happy to send you the 3d model of the car. What format would you prefer?
LegendaryM,

Thanks for your generosity. Would you be able to send me the model in Solidworks format? I would love to see the modeling technique used on such a project, so I can eventually undertake something like this :)

If you can do it, my e-mail is across2211@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Andrew

PS The car looks killer!

ChrisTipper

I am really intrested to have a program on my laptop to desgin my own F1 Car. Whats a good program to have on windows 7?

And LegendaryM awesome work
Engineering student,but still learning alot about Formula One cars and I can Admit that

Battousai

Hi LegendaryM,

I am a student currently working on a project to develop race type wings.
I've done a couple of works on a F1 car but not as complete as your own.
That is an awesome job and I would like to take a look on that 3d design if you don't mind.
My e-mail is battousai69@gmail.com and if you could send me those files on nx that would be lovely!

Thanks in advance!

pottsymouthy

I am currently working on a final year project which is to develop a f1 rear view mirror.

I have modelled a rear view mirror in solid works and now need a f1 CAD model to attach it too.

I have seen some of the very nice models on this forum (LegendaryMand was wondering if someone could help me out by sending me there design.

It can be an older model if the new model is top secret.

my email is mouthymagician@hotmail.com

cheers

Mathew

LegendaryM

Huge update:
Starting off, a completely new front wing with an original design - a split endplate to direct air around the front wheels more aggressively.

A heavily revised chassis; bulkhead A-A and B-B have been raised by 50 mm and around the cockpit the radius on the topside has been reduced to 5mm to allow the lower radius to increase to 95mm similar to the W01. This frees up space on the underside of the chassis.

I have increased the wheelbase to 3250mm to bring it more inline with 2010 cars. I have also tightened up the rear bodywork to allow more room for the ebd, and revised the cooling exit so it exits higher up, away from the beam wing.
On the rear wing, I have increased the size of the frontal beam wing, which i'm using to straighten the flow coming off the bodywork. I have also revised the gills on the main plan and beam wing and added diagonal gills on the rear wing.

I have used a 100x50mm hole (which i dont think will be outlawed by the 2011 regulations) to allow the exhaust gases to go through and blow the underside of the diffuser.

MRVC: Tolo Racing

Francesc

Have you tried to send this to a F1 team?? There're a lot of nice ideas! =D>
If you send it to any team, make sure it's Williams!
Last edited by Francesc on 16 Nov 2010, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123

with those deep end plates you are really giving up alot of diffuser space, I have thought about those too myself, but the area I am giving up with that it isnt worth it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

sayoonarra2010

hi LegendarM,
im a final year student working on f1 rear wing aerodynamics. im very impressed with your cad model. isit possible for you to email me your model as a reference. thank you so much.

my email is sayoonarra@hotmail.com

thank you

scuderiafan

Did you get those endplate slot's from McLaren...or did McLaren get them from you? They look very similar :lol:
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

dazzwilliams

hii LegendaryM,

Im a student pursuing engineering. Im very interested in CFD. I was very much impressed by your model.I want to run a CFD test on it in my University Lab. I would be very much grateful to you if you can send me the model.I would prefer that in Pro-Engineer format. I will be using Ansys 12 for meshing and Altair hyperworks or Fluent for CFD analysis.

My email is dazzwilliams@gmail.com . Thanks !!

LegendaryM

dazzwilliams wrote:hii LegendaryM,

Im a student pursuing engineering. Im very interested in CFD. I was very much impressed by your model.I want to run a CFD test on it in my University Lab. I would be very much grateful to you if you can send me the model.I would prefer that in Pro-Engineer format. I will be using Ansys 12 for meshing and Altair hyperworks or Fluent for CFD analysis.

My email is dazzwilliams@gmail.com . Thanks !!
I'll try and send a model off pretty soon, but im quite busy with exams at the moment

Update: I have changed the car to comply with the 2011 regulations

I have widened the roll structure

I have had to remove all the slots from my previous rear wing. I have also had to change the rear wing support to a more conventional one.

I have also had to remove the ducting from the main beam wing. Because of this I have completely revised the bodywork in this area

I have had to reshape the gearbox starter hole (which i am blowing exhaust gases out of)
MRVC: Tolo Racing

Steven
Owner

LegendaryM, I don't think this airbox will pass for 2011. I think you will have to check article 15.2.4 to see if it is still valid.

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/features/15814