My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ESPImperium

Re: My F1 car

gridwalker wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Another idea i though about was, putting the TV camereas on the nose and the air box sides at a certain pitch thats advantagous to aero, say a 40 degree pitch to either give better aero efficency or generate altho small, some ammount of downforce. Allowing FOM only to use the T cam on the top of the air box for your car. Is that legal???
I believe TV cameras need to be aerodynamically neutral.

Regs regarding car mounted cameras follow :
ARTICLE 20 : TELEVISION CAMERAS AND TIMING TRANSPONDERS
20.1 Presence of cameras and camera housings :
All cars must be fitted with either two cameras, two camera housings or one of each at all times throughout
the Event.
20.2 Location of camera housings :
Camera housings, when used, must be fitted in the same location as cameras. Details concerning the size
and weight of all camera housings may be found in the Appendix to these regulations.
20.3 Location and fitting of camera equipment :
20.3.1 All cars must be equipped with six positions in which cameras or camera housings can be fitted. Referring
to Drawing 6, all cars must carry a camera or camera housing in position 4, the position of the remaining
camera or camera housing will be determined by the FIA after consultation with the relevant Competitor.
Once positions are determined in the above manner, any decision as to whether a camera or camera
housing is fitted in those positions will rest solely with the relevant Competitor.
20.3.2 Any camera or dummy camera fitted in positions 1, 2 or 3 shown in Drawing 6 must be mounted in order
that its major axis does not subtend an angle greater than 5° to the reference plane
The FIA mandate the mounting positions and the maximum angle of attack, so you're highly restricted on that front I'm afraid.
In otherwords. Damn.

wrcsti

You might want to make the front wing cave inwards like this one to create a small venturi on the wing area.

LegendaryM

New front wing:
MRVC: Tolo Racing

wesley123

That wouldnt help anything, it gouides air to the front wheels, thus increasing the drag. Better guide them the other way around away from the front wheels or make them neutral. Maybe an upper deck is possible too? Also vertical fences under the wing will help increase the efficiency of the wing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LegendaryM

wesley123 wrote:That wouldnt help anything, it gouides air to the front wheels, thus increasing the drag. Better guide them the other way around away from the front wheels or make them neutral. Maybe an upper deck is possible too? Also vertical fences under the wing will help increase the efficiency of the wing.
Unfortunately, it is against the regulations to have any bodywork in the area you're suggesting (that is why all the front wings in 2009 have a diagonal line)(i know its a bad explanation) And anyway I think the air is being directed to the brakeducts

ESPImperium

That front wing looks really well developed. You can put in a upper deck that is either like the McLaren "Twin deck" or a single decker.

At work today i was playing with a 30cm plastic ruler whilst quiet and i cam up with a idea for the headrest, taking a 30cm ruler, take either end, but diagonal corners, twist one end up in the air, and keep the other end flat, could that be put to the headrests to make them more aero frendly from a front plan view???

wesley123

you sure? Why does mclaren then has 5 fences under their wing?

And if you add an upper plane ala red bull or mclaren you can create a tunnel with the new part you created, that proabbly creat alot more downforce. And now we talking about complex parts, why not make those slits in the vertical fins liek there is in the rear wing?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LegendaryM

They new front wing will probably work better with the modifications I plan to make to the front brake duct area. Quite a while before I had a multi-plane front wing but I took the upper one off because I thought the car was generating too much drag. I could probably make and upper plane again in about 5mins.
Also, does anyone have any information on steerings arms - ie where they are and their dimensions, because atm my car doesnt have them

machin

Also, does anyone have any information on steerings arms - ie where they are and their dimensions, because atm my car doesnt have them

On mine I have them infront of the upper wishbones... in line with them so the wishbone is "in the shadow" of the steering arm.. thus the frontal area of the assembly is reduced. That's prety typical of the F1 cars on the grid.

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

PlatinumZealot

I would be nice to make simple clean configurations then test then add on the bells and whistles after and see what happens.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LegendaryM

Updates which I have done today:
Extra element on the underside of front wing to take advantage of high pressure zone in front of wheels;

Revised turning vanes and a steering arm (not final);

Mini diffuser in front of the rear wheels is gone because it was trying to suck air from a low pressure zone to a high pressure one;

Revised rear suspension and revised diffuser NOW WITH BIGGER AND MORE HOLES;

Picture of whole car;

machin

Inspired somewhat by LegendaryM's car I've updated my own slightly.... an extra element on the front wing, wheel hubs with brake ducts and wheel covers on the outsides of the wheels, plus a few other little tweaks here and there.....

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

wrcsti

If only more cars had as much aero stuff as legendary's. I'm a sucker for aero bits and pieces.

You should open up the radiators and let someone run some type of CFD on it, I'm interested in seeing how that rear end and some other bits work together.
Last edited by wrcsti on 18 May 2009, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.

gridwalker

Those are both mighty impressive : I've never really gotten into 3D modelling, but you guys are convincing me to give it a go now I've got Blender installed on my linux box.

The best I've got to show anyone is a photomosaic, but I think I'll stick that in a new thread.

Keep up the good work =D>
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

bigoudi

=D> =D>

It's amazing what you have modeled Legendary M...I am really impressed by all the details that you add..and especially by your diffuser. Nice rear wing actually with BMW idea(supplementary plane) i guess
I guess you pass long nights on it but you can be very happy of your results.
I am a CFD engineer and I can make some calculations on my own if i can grab some parts of your model..just let me know if you are interest and if the model is available.

I can read most of the format(STEP,IGES,STL...). Can you indicate in which format you can export it?

Thanks

Keep up the good work!