My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
bajanf1

Re: My F1 car

This is great work LegendaryM (and also machin). Your attention to detail is great and I cant wait to see some CFD images if Bigoudi can get some files to work.
What program did you create your car in machin?

machin

I use solidworks.... just wish it hand better rendering facilities!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

bigoudi

I can also studied in my virtual wind tunnel your car machin. And then compare with what Legendary M does in his own...

Just let me know.I have sufficient RAM and space to run relatively big mesh and model in transient or stationary conditions depends on you...and how much time are you ready to wait :-)

machin

Further update to make the shape a bit more "organic" and additional small aero "details"...

And then compare with what Legendary M does in his own...
The two aren't really directly comparable as we've both just guessed at radiator inlet and outlet size, wishbone dimensions, brake duct sizes etc.... it would be relatively easy to make a car more aerodynamically efficient just by reducing the size of the radiator inlets/sidepods.... but in reality this would lead to the thing overheating! I'm just having fun making a car whose shape would be elligible... even if in reality it would be very slow!
Last edited by machin on 22 May 2009, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

How far is the CFD simulation? I wonder who's car is better.. :mrgreen:
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

wrcsti

n smikle wrote:How far is the CFD simulation? I wonder who's car is better.. :mrgreen:
Again, the cars aren't 100% up to real specs and don't have to worry about engine intake, tempeture, space for tanks and stuff, etc. So in reality we can just guesstimate.

LegendaryM

Sorry I haven't been able to post any updates recently, I'm just in the middle of some internal exams for school. Hopefully by Saturday I should be able to get some more work done.
@bigoudi: will a parasolid file be ok for you
MRVC: Tolo Racing

bigoudi

@Legendary M: Parasolid should be all right..I would have to make my own exporting to change the format.

If you can have STL,DXF,Nastran Mesh it will be easier but don't worry I'll find a way..Actually I have access to a lot of CFD packages that read different format and export in also different extensions. For sure, there will be a combination of them that can be applicable.

Let me know in which format you can export.

Good luck for your exams !

LegendaryM

bigoudi wrote:@Legendary M: Parasolid should be all right..I would have to make my own exporting to change the format.

If you can have STL,DXF,Nastran Mesh it will be easier but don't worry I'll find a way..Actually I have access to a lot of CFD packages that read different format and export in also different extensions. For sure, there will be a combination of them that can be applicable.

Let me know in which format you can export.

Good luck for your exams !
I think I'll be able to send it in STL format, I'll try and upload it on saturday or sunday because I just want to make some more modifications to the car - add some more cooling and make changes to the front brake duct area

PlatinumZealot

wrcsti wrote:
n smikle wrote:How far is the CFD simulation? I wonder who's car is better.. :mrgreen:
Again, the cars aren't 100% up to real specs and don't have to worry about engine intake, tempeture, space for tanks and stuff, etc. So in reality we can just guesstimate.
I know that is the fun of it. =P~

machin

I wonder who's car is better..

Just by way of example why we can't do a fair comparison:- The two cars below both comply with the rules....

No doubt the car on the right would be the more aerodynamically efficient, for the following reasons:-

1, The engine air intake is smaller
2, Smaller sidepods
3, Smaller radiator inlets
4, smaller brake cooling ducts

However.... as a result it may:-

1, Be restricted on power
2, Not be big enough to fit the engine and radiators
3, overheat the engine
4, overheat the brakes

In reality we amateurs can only guess at the sizes of these components... so we could only do a fair comparison if we agreed before hand how big to make these things....

....Now that could be fun, but also very time consuming!

PlatinumZealot

Just compare them!! :lol:

machin

It'd be like comparing which shopping bag is better based on the ergonomics of its handles and not taking into account how big the bag is!

Just compare them!!
Only if I get to use the car on the right!!!!! :D :lol: :lol:

bigoudi

When I will got your geometries, I'll start by studying the whole model with focusing on external aerodynamics..
That means neglecting the brake cooling ducts and closing the wheels. I do not know what did you put inside the car, but maybe I will avoid it for a first set of results and replace the existant by a simple tunnel from the sidepods inlet and air intake to the rear of the car. We then will have already a good apreciation the aerodynamic efficiency of these cars in terms of drag, downforce and wake.

With all the assumptions I hope I will get models runable :lol:

In which format can you export machin ?

LegendaryM

I don't know about machin's car but the aerfoil shapes in 2d were done quickly and are just what I feel looks 'right'. So bigoudi when you have my model you can make any changes you want to the 2d aerofoil shape