Wesley123's F1 Model

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
wesley123

Re: Wesley123's F1 Model

i am currently busy with the front wing and i will probably make new bargeboards too and a new floor. This floor is simply crap at the front so i need a new one. I will probably make 2 barge boards there, a really small one connecting the tub(ala sauber) and one under tub wih the same function as the splitter. also i will use the sidepod vane as an extension of the barge board itself. With the current sidepod model i simply shot myself in the foot, it is impossible to make an good full height sidepod vane now so i try to think of something to allow the function of such part.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123

update.

Buil an complete front wing, a 4 plane making use of the maximum width of the planes. Also an second deck combining most ideas into one connected to its own end plate.

In the end plates horizontal part i made in vanes like the renault, the rear half got 3 next to each other.

Also i went for changes in the diffuser, the gurney is enlarged and the overal downforce of it is raised by an much larger first deck exit, same counts for the second deck. Also the central 15CM section of it was raised alot increasing the downforce.

I've made new bargeboards too, the inside ones are curved to the top and small outside ones.

Nice view of the underside, the front wing lacks strakes compared to other teams solutions.
The first wing is connected to the horizontal end plate part allowing an simple hole.

wesley123

Ok new upgrade, i started on the 2011 car and built the tub

It is a totally new car actually, the tub is completely different and sidepods will be too, i decided to go for a more triangular sidepod shape so i can get more air around the sidepod.Also i will probably let the sidepods slope down the same way with the exhaust exiting at the back really low so it wil actually blow over the diffuser.
The nose has raised a lot, it is like twice as high so i could free up space to fit in a front splitter(not built yet).

I still have a few ideas wich i dont know if they will be legal or work, i wanted to make some sort of second plate on the diffuser, letting the exhaust blow in there to make an exhaust driven diffuser like Red Bull, by this i think i can create alot bigger low pressure area for the diffuser to act on with smaller gurneys. Also the rest of this area will not be affected by the exhaust gasses so i can go for a much cleaner rear end.
Also i have an idea for the F-Dcut replacement, it will not connect to the rear wing, but it will extend 15cm wide and blow into a slot under the rear wing wich will expand to a full slot. pretty hard to explain though lol.
Also i will try to go for an as low as possible CofG, thus an really low crashbox and red bull style pushrod suspension.
And last but not least i am trying to make use of the central 15cm as much as possible, extending the diffuser there for example, putting in wings there
An completely new idea i had simply removed most of previous ideas, on the sidepod area it is regulated about air exhaust, but it is not regulated as an air intake, so i wanted to make the sidepod higher to regular height and then make an huge vane in it, from the side you cannot see what is behind it, there the bodywork will stop, leaving huge amounts of space for radiator exit cooling, on the intake i wanted to make a few more coolers, helping the low CofG as the higher placed sidepod radiators can be smaller as it is divided into more of those. I hope this idea is understood correctly and someone can tell me if it will be legal, if it will work and if it has potential. Personally i think that if it is done correctly it can draw alot of air back into the diffuser area increasing downforce and with that it will reduce drag as less air will collide with the rear tire and less rear tire influence. I can also draw that area really far back in front oft he beam wing and simply close this area from the rear wheel.
In this space i have alot of space for pullrods etc. as it is really wide and i can do in this area what i want as it isnt seen, so i can simply place the suspensin in positions that were never possible before

LegendaryM

why dont u design it in a proper cad program. it would be much easier for u
MRVC: Tolo Racing

wesley123

LegendaryM wrote:why dont u design it in a proper cad program. it would be much easier for u
You think? with the impatience i got and the lack of concentration that cannot be a succes, because if i cant learn it quickly i will give up on it. Im actually used to ZModeler so much, to learn it it is actally just like 50 times easier then any other program, it is actually the only modeling program i underatand.
The time it takes for me to learn it and the way i have to adapt to a whole different program simply makes it not worth it as i will give up on it in no time.

Hades

You use way too much polys on some parts.

wesley123

Hades wrote:You use way too much polys on some parts.
Rather use too much polys then too less ehh?

Afterall it is a showmodel, i dont have real plans to put it in game though, but it can simply fit in there. More polys mean better detail on the car. I can agree that on parts i use poly's wrong, i could use a bit more around the headrest area for example.

Also the amount of polies has to do with allowing modifications to the parts more clean instead where i have to rebuild the psrt or add polies in it to make a few simple changes. Breaking polies is a pain in the ass to do so i rather use too much polies(wich i can clean up) then too less(wich will need breaking or rebuild to fix it)

wesley123

okay an update. Because of personal issues i had to start all over again, now almost the whole car is done(i mirror it so i have to do half an car lol) though i'd want to show you guys some progress. It starts with the floor, wich is raised at the front and bending over the central section to catch some more air. Sidepods are incredibly tight but i adapted an long splitter which flows with an clean shape into the sidepods. I decided to make an shark fin wich lengths until the rear wing's starting point, and i am going to add 2 vanes to the rear wing too to help with yaw.

The Sidepods have really small openings and almost come to an point in the end, where the exhaust will exit out of. Firther i went for an more higher waist around the airbox to compromise, i have added an (unneeded) exit there which i plan to close.

The crashbox itself is something special too, as itself isnt connected anymore to the floor, it instead is 'floating', underneath the crashbox is an air exit to work with the exhaust gasses over the diffuser, this in change will affect the CofG by some amount. Also i plan to redo the floor, the Diffuser is actually the worst part of the car. What i plan to do with the diffuser is to use the footplate for the wheel turbulence, with an smaller diffuser wich ends at full width. I Plan to add wings there wich connect to the rear wings end plate, to increase rear downforce.

The front wing is special too, as it is some way of renault look alike and alot of my own ideas. The wing is an 3 plane wing, with an slit for an fourth at the end a la Red Bull, this '4th' wing also bends to the end plate. The most interresting part of the wing is that the Second plane is an stand-alone wing, the wing is held by simple struts on the 1st and 3rd wing, it isnt connected to the end plate(the second end plate is bent around it). Such wing tip creates some sort of vortex wich i hope is benificial for front wheel sir management. With this the air is also free to flow around the in or outside of the third end plate.

With this car i really spent alot of time on air management throughout the car and around the wheels, as there are much more gains to make.

The car isnt finished for 100% as there still are needed some mirrors, beam wing, Barge boards, front wing central section and its pillars(I plan to do an one pillar to enhance flexing)

P.S. sorry for some pics, for some reason they came out really weird

wesley123

Update: I changed the floor as it got a new diffuser. This diffuser is more aimed at wheel air management, so there is an large footplate where air from further forwards cant enter that easily. Also there is an double 'flip up' in front of the rear wheels to better guide air. There is an small slit in the floor in front of the diffuser to bleed air around the footplate and into the diffuser.
I Also built an entirely beam wing wich is kept simple. in the center section it is an 3 plane, also this is the spot the rear wing connects to the crash box to 'prevent' it from flexing.
Also i altered the shark fin a bit(the current design was just aimed at profile as it further was useless due to it not connecting to the rear wing.
I also have added barge boards. almost all changes where made at the rear of the car, the front remains unaltered at this time, though i plan an front splitter replacement.

marcush.

=D> =D>
sexy..

SiLo

Lookin' good! Get it rendered so we can see what she looks like in all her glory!
Felipe Baby!

wesley123

Well, i cannot render it myself lol. I have to do it in 3ds max then wich i am not able to do.

And now im a bit out of ideas on the car, so current are only tweaks(like fins added).
But i have a few questions,
1. Is an nose cone hole still legal(like on the F2008), i can understand that the regulated crash structure is an problem, but i have an work around for it, so is the hole itself legal?
2. You have an central i dont know how much cm rule where you can bolt on wings just where you like it, does this rule count for the whole length of the car?

Hades

If you make your model really good I can render it for you. :wink:
About questions, nose cone hole is not legal anymore as far as I know.

wesley123

ell that requires alot of work lol, then i still need to make some sort of interior, mirror it and fix parts. Could you do it with an .z3d file, as that is where i work on lol

Hades

Yeah, .z3d is fine. Just make sure your model is smooth otherwise it won't look good.