F1 in Schools Help - flameracing's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ashf1mclaren

Re: F1 in schools design

hi guys i am competing in the f1 in schools project and was wondering if the placement of axles can increase or decrease the speed or not and could it either affect the aero, making it better or worse. we are going for a long car 210mm as to manage the airflow more and better but we are stuck on axle placement.

ideas would be great thanks
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

flameracing

hi
axcles are ok depending on the materials used but i think ball bearings are the better option. Ball bearings produce less friction giving you a better time.
What state do you participate in? im in victoria.

Matt
i like salty peanuts

ashf1mclaren

thanks matt but i need to mount the wheels to a axle of course using ball bearnings to reduce friction but i am unsure on where to place the wheels/axles along the body length should the be as far apart as possible or close together
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

flameracing

you ned everything custom made :)
i like salty peanuts

ashf1mclaren

hey matt/flameracing how is the catia 5 program to use is it good or very difficult to use and how does it compare to solidworks if you have been able to compare the two and any other programs

thanks

Lance Armstrong quote

Jersey Tom

Couldn't all this be in one thread?

Having used Catia and Solidworks, SW is a lot easier to pick up. Works for simple to moderately complex surfaces.

Complex surfacing though.. Catia is the way to go.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ashf1mclaren

thanks jersey tom i currently use solidworks at home and find it very user friendly and powerful is there any difference say for running models in cfd from the catia program compared to solidworks

Lance Armstrong quote

ashf1mclaren

hi again in the f1 in schools project (sorry if you already know ) you have to race along 20meter straights and i see as other may have that there is no need for downforce as partly the axles are fixed in to the chassis and cannot move to use this downforce and 2 this down force just creates massive drag by forcing the wheels into the track increasing there friction which means a slower time at the end of the day so creating a body design that does not create drag or downforce (in large amounts) is the key to a very fast time along with shaping air around wheels ect and there is no need for wing like aerofoils on the rear of the car either as they are drag and downforce creators unless used in a air cleaning up mannor to stop eddies

Lance Armstrong quote

flameracing

hi
i think solid works is easier but once you get to know catia its probably better than solid works.
i like salty peanuts

flameracing

guys what do you think about wheel im gonna get custom made
Mep i changed the backwing to a teardrop

Tell me what you think
i like salty peanuts

ashf1mclaren

Great Idea for wheels is it possible to stop that dimble part from rotating see the pulse f1 website they where 2008 champs and show every thing they did on there website google it also if I where you I would remove the rear wing completly as the car does not need downforce, don't scrap it completly try a cfd set up with and with out a rear wing

Lance Armstrong quote

basizeland

It is possible to design the wheels so that the sides don't rotate because I have done it with our car and in Australia we have to have a rear wing because it is in the rules that we have to have a front and rear wing.

ashf1mclaren

Is it possible to make it very small? Like the koi Kats they had a small wing on co2 canister

Lance Armstrong quote

flameracing

i was thinking of making the wheel rubber
tell me some other materials if you can
not sure what you mean by it not rotating
brett what sort of plastics are used around your car
i like salty peanuts

flameracing

You can make it small ofcourse the only problem is it breaking
i like salty peanuts