My F1 Car - Jordan GP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jordangp

My F1 Car - Jordan GP

My F1 2011 car designed on Google Sketchup, rendered with Kerkythea.

The Jordan GP EJ16

Based quite a lot on the Red Bull RB6

ajdavison2

Re: My F1 Car - Jordan GP

love it well done, red bull with a hint of mclaren :P, did you really model it using sketch up? iv tried and cant get anything near as good as what you've got there, how long did it take?

jordangp

I've literally taken a few months on this car, and plan on updating it throughout the season. Skethcup isn't the most advanced software for doing it, but I think the end product is pretty good.

ajdavison2

I would love to see some tutorials if possible? step by steps etc? and also is it built to any regulations? I'm curious as to weather the 'wing' on the end of the crash structure would be legal in 2011, as it isn't technically part of the diffuser, therefore should break the DDD regs, but is within the 15cm of technical freedom. really though, amazing result on a programme as simplistic as sketchup.

jordangp

I'll see what I can do maybe in terms of tutorials, but yeah that's the idea I was thinking about with that wing on the crash structure, I figured with it being in the central 15cm, it shouldn't really be a problem...

Carlos

Extremely good work. I think you have stretched Sketchup's potential for designing vehicles farther than I've ever seen before. Yes absolutely.

wesley123

Incredible work! Although for 2011 it wont be legal, it still gots the DDD and also the shark fin isnt allowed anymore.

The car simply looks stunning and its livery looks incredible too KUTGW!
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

jordangp

Yeah it's not really that hard, I taught myself the software, and began work straight away, and have gone through loads of shapes to get to the current launch car. As soon as its auto-smoothened, it begins to look pretty good. I've tried to keep within the regulations, but I've tried to use some risky design ideas, so some things probably will be illegal. As for the diffuser, at that acngle you probably can't see, but that area there at the back of the sidepods is completely closed off, slightly further inwards, but should be classed as single.

wesley123

As long as it doesnt have an hole in its floor that is fed by air from the underbody that is legal.

About the beamwing though i do not know if it is legal, there is an section in front of this beamwing which is allowed whom i do not understand though LegendaryM made use of this section.

The sharkfin stays illegal as it is in forbidden area.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/12/1 ... explained/
Here scarbsf1 has explained all the rule changes from 2010 tot 2011, it is really helpful.

jordangp

Ok there is no hole in the floor there, to make it a DDD, and as for the shark fin, it says it cannot reach the rear wing, so surely having a bit of a fin like that would be ok, as it does not reach the rear wing itself?

wesley123

No that is incorrect

As the rule for that area states;
´3.9.1 No bodywork situated between 50mm and 330mm forward of the rear wheel centre line may be more than 730mm above the reference plane.´

That makes your idea illegal too, I did similair on my car until the 2011 rules where released and this was proven to be illegal.

MadMatt

Nice job mate ! There was one thread where someone was asking about CAD software, I think you proved that using this free software can get really great results !
:)

Tonn

WOW
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Good work man!

Giblet

Well done, and considering that you used Sketchup, very impressive.

It's like you successfully used a ukulele to play a concerto.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

jordangp

Thanks guys, should be an update in time for Valencia test.

My site:
www.jordangp.tk