My F1 Car - Jordan GP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jordangp

Re: My F1 Car - Jordan GP

A few more updates for this week's test at Jerez.

New intake design, bigger than before, engine cover area around airbox reshaped to get more air into the cooling intake.

New winglet design in central 15cm of rear wing, inspired by the RB7, replaces old one as it would of deativated the ARW.

New diffuser, based off LegendaryM's design, which he let me use. Exhaust fumes are split, so half goes blown into the engine starter hole, and the other half into the outer 50mm allowed diffuser hole.
More pics:

In my online championship I came 1st, 1st and 3rd on the 3 days of testing at Valencia, hopefully with these new updates, I can keep myself at the top in Jerez.

Thoughts?

machin

Excellent model!

come on then, spill the beans; how does your championship work? How does a winner get decided? Is it an on-line racing game? Is is an on-line management game? Do you run the cars through cfd? Is it purely based on looks? I'm really intrigued!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

jordangp

Ok then, well basically, there is a complete F1 style championship taking into account everything that happens in a normal season of F1. The cars are not actually run through any CFD, but all models are sent to the championship administrators every race/test due to updates. Then a board of admins look over the cars, analyse and assess their aerodynamic ability. I would say it's more of a managemts style, because you are the Tea, Principal, Chief Designer etc. You take all the roles within the team, but you can emply staff if you want. Models are secretly ranked, and lap times and results are then generated, but also takes into account driver ability and skill aswell as the chance of crashing, or a mechanical failure. results are simulated and that is how races are decided. Drivers in the championship cannot be current F1 drivers, unless they are confirmed within the championship before actual F1, hence why at the minuet one of the teams has Pastor Maldonado. Driver skill is dependant on how good they are in real life, aswell as how they do it the championship. As an example Christian Klien may not be too great in real F1 but he was the 2009 World Champion and came 2nd in 2010. Atm he regularly beats Kimi Raikkonen. You get emailed sponsors and stuff, you can negotiate with your drivers sponsors suppliers etc. over the email system. As to how everything is simulated I can't really tell you exactly what they do I'm not one of the boffins behind it all. However I've been in the championship since it started in 2008, and am still playing.

www.f1game.tk is the website.

That's a lot of information there, I thik I've covered most of it, but any questions just let me know.

Jordan GP

machin

cool.. sounds like a lot of fun....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

SiLo

Rear beam wing is very intriguing.
Felipe Baby!

Tozza Mazza

Very nice, I wanna see some CFD on that thing! I've nearly finished the rear of my car in sketchup, just want to revise the diffuser one more time (mucked up by not starting from rear wheel centre line, but a bit further back because i though it would create more rake #-o ) Just need to get this rear wing sorted. How about a blade roll hoop air intake feature, seems to be an interesting way forward.

Oh and as a fellow sketchupper, how do you make updates so quickly, can you edit line lengths etc...? for a replacement part, i have to start from scratch then import it back into my assembly model, am i missing something?
TM :D

jordangp

@machin it is... :lol:

@SiLo Yeah it's a bit of an odd design, but now I'm considering updating it to a more conventional one before the start of the season. What do you think?

@Tozza Mazza Blade roll hoop air intake is certainly something to consider, and as for Skecthup just use the measuring tool, and most of the time I guess lengths, when going over a line, i often use the half way icon as a way of getting lengths right, makes things much quicker.

jordangp

It's been dead here for a little while now, luckily though I've got myself some new updates that would have been used at Bahrain, but then again we all know why that won't be happening...

Ok I've gone for a new diffuser (again) and new beam wing, as the old one wasnt a bit radical I don't think would have been legal given the one element rule.

Ok so the diffuser. I had the winglet before in the central 150mm, i have extended this all the way back to the sidepods creating a tunnel on top of the diffuser. With the split exhaust system I showed before the exhaust air will now go out and through the tunnel created being forced into the engine starter hole. the winglet now has 3 elements to it, 1 where the exhaust air will blow onto from the starter hole, and the other two for general downforce from under the car.

The engine starter hole also has its own little tunnel its got a large inatke of air from the exhausts, and then the tunnel gets smaller to go through the 3000mm² engine starter hole. Here's a quick MS Paint diagram of what it does:

and the engine starter hole here is very long and narrow:

In comparison you can see the intake where the exhaust gases go through on this picture with te central section removed:

I have also creates a new simpler beam wing design with a slot in the central 150mm.

Thoughts guys? I think what I have done is legal, unlesss you guys can prove otherwise?

wesley123

sharkfin isnt legal.

I quote scarbs;
“3.9.1 No bodywork situated between 50mm and 330mm forward of the rear wheel centre line may be more than 730mm above the reference plane.”
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/12/1 ... explained/

I stepped fully away from the Shark fin idea and LegendaryM made one with a imilair shape which is out of this forbidden bodywork area
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

horse

F1 Regs wrote:3.12.7 No bodywork which is visible from beneath the car and which lies between the rear wheel centre line and a point 350mm rearward of it may be more than 125mm above the reference plane. With the exception of the aperture described below, any intersection of the surfaces in this area with a lateral or longitudinal vertical plane should form one continuous line which is visible from beneath the car.

An aperture for the purpose of allowing access for the device referred to in Article 5.16 is permitted in this surface. However, no such aperture may have an area greater than 3500mm2 when projected onto the surface itself and no point on the aperture may be more than 100mm from any other point on the aperture.

Additionally, any bodywork in this area must produce uniform, solid, hard, continuous, rigid (no degree of freedom in relation to the body/chassis unit), impervious surfaces under all circumstances).

3.12.9 In an area lying 450mm or less from the car centre line, and from 450mm forward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template to 350mm rearward of the rear wheel centre line, any intersection of any bodywork visible from beneath the car with a lateral or longitudinal vertical plane should form one continuous line which is visible from beneath the car. When assessing the compliance of bodywork surfaces in this area the aperture referred to in Article 3.12.7 need not be considered.
I believe the above regulations would rule out the foil stack at the centre of the diffuser.

Also, is the starter hole less than a 100mm wide?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

jordangp

@Wesley 123: Still on about this?

Will that do?

@horse yeah its just under 100mm, but yeah you're right when I read that section I clearly got it wrong, its within 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line but you are right it is too high, and I will change that in due course.

horse

I know the wording is a bit tough to follow, but my understanding would be that the stack would not meet the "one continuous line which is visible from beneath the car" part either. Is that not right?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

jordangp

I wouldn't of thought so, to be honest with you im not 100% accurate with te rules but am pretty close

wesley123

Well, as long as it is out of that area it is legal to do so
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

jordangp

Thankyou. Finally.