My F1 Car - Jordan GP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jordangp

Re: My F1 Car - Jordan GP

Ok here's the HUGE update for Australia.

Updates include new front wing, new sidepods, new engine cover, new bargeboards, fins, floor, exhaust confirurement, diffuser etc.etc.

Ok then a completely brand new front wing, tries to go for a simpler design, but ended up rather complicated again. Nwe endplates with 3 winglets like the Toro Rosso. More conventional upper planes.

Ok a quick look at the new shape of the main bodoywork. the sidepods are Toro Rosso style with the double floor. Also decided to go with a rle blade structure for the engine cover. New bargeboards and mirrors are shaped to get air into the smaller sidepod intakes due to reshaping for the double floor.

I've got a similar configurement for the exhausts as I had before, with the split exhausts. The innre exhausts are still the same through the engine starter hole. I now have changed the outer exhausts to more of a red bull style. The exhaust is blown under the floor and into the new diffuser with the specially shaped floor cut out.

The new diffuser is more curved before, both above and underneath. Don't have a perfectly clear image but you should be able to tell yourself anyway.

I will post the race results from F1-Game for my team after the race.

jamesrance11

well ill give it a go, and if not can i have some help?

jordangp

Yeah sure, and good luck with it!

jamesrance11

ive had a go but failed, would it be ok if i could have some help?

jordangp

Yeah I guess so. How you want to go about that then? Do you want to send me your car, with like drawings of what you're trying to achieve or what?

Holm86

I am very impressed with your model.

But how does that F1-Game work?? How does it know what car is the best car?? Does it run it through any sort of CFD???

jordangp

I've been asked this question a lot. There is no CFD run on the cars. However they are analysed based on concept, performance and details. Then they are ranked, and simulated from that. They're simulated so that it's not always the best car that wins. Plus then theres driver skill, calculated. It's all very difficult, but in the end it works.

Btw guys my results from Australia:

Nick Heidfeld 1st
Christian Klien 4th

jamesrance11

jordangp wrote:Yeah I guess so. How you want to go about that then? Do you want to send me your car, with like drawings of what you're trying to achieve or what?
well i only need the middle section done, i have a side on drawing atm, will that be ok?

however i have now, designed one on sketch up but its not great, so i can send you that as well if you want?

jordangp

I've been away for a while, which means I never had a chance to update for China, and missed putting up some pics of my Malaysian GP car. So I just got a couple of pics straight off Sketchup, pre-rendering so you could see what they were. Now working on my updates for Turkey.

New splitter, new rear wing, new engine cover winglet, new rear wing winglet, new rear brake ducts

Tozza Mazza

That looks an awful lot like my tail wing :D

Code Is Life

This is brilliant work. I've actually just signed up purely to say how much I love this car. Well done. I've just started designing my own F1 car in Blender 3D and it looks rubbish compared to this! Do you mind if I use this for inspiration? I just can't tell you how wonderful I think this car is. Keep up the great work! Also, what is the F1-Games URL? I may just enter myself....

hydroCFD

Great stuff jordanGP.

I would love to run some CFD on that...

jordangp

@Code Is Life: Thanks! That really means a lot. I created an account a while back just to comment on LegendaryM's car, which is truly a masterpiece in comparison to this. But for whatever reason I lost all the account details. Feel free to use my car for inspiration, as that's the best compliment a designer can get :) You can view the championship at: http://www.f1game.tk

@HydroCFD: If there is a way of getting my acr into a file type suitable for CFD then it could become possible.

At the moment I am working on a new front wing, but may be a while until it is put onto the car, as it is having some major revision. I have also just started work on a brand new 2012 car, i've planned out my dimensions, and have created a floor/splitter already, aswell as my plank.

arjun.yadav

hydroCFD wrote:Great stuff jordanGP.

I would love to run some CFD on that...

i put my CFD solver online. I have been using this for drag etc calculation.

Here is the solver

inavier.com

feel free to use it. Any questions you want ask, feel free to post.

PS: Here are some of my experiments with immersed boundary methods, might be useful for rotating things.

http://inavier.com/ibm-inavier.html

Code Is Life

jordangp wrote:@Code Is Life: Thanks! That really means a lot. I created an account a while back just to comment on LegendaryM's car, which is truly a masterpiece in comparison to this. But for whatever reason I lost all the account details. Feel free to use my car for inspiration, as that's the best compliment a designer can get :) You can view the championship at: http://www.f1game.tk
How do you sign up?