My LMP1 Car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LegendaryM

My LMP1 Car - LegendaryM

After lemans last year i designed my own prototype car. I havent really worked on it for quite a while, and i dont plan on starting to update it again until around lemans because im entering f1 in schools so i'm spending most of my time on that, and a bit on my f1 car. Anyway here are some pictures:

MRVC: Tolo Racing

wesley123

Re: My LMP1 Car - LegendaryM

Wow, didnt expect this one lol.

Anyway, it is looking really good, but you can really see it that you have worked on an F1 car before lol, really complex aerodynamics etc, although recent cars are more described as open wheelers with covered wheels this is far from true. The LMP cars do rely on its basic shape, Airflow goes through the diffuser and around the car cleanly. The front suspension packages are WTF.

The nose itself is nicely raised and really clean, you could probably give some more diffuser area there. Fender shape though is pretty efficient for a good L/D ratio(Audi for example steps away from it to increase df itself, not a mix)

The wheel well exit is a thing that is done pretty weird, there are 2 (seemingly) pretty large holes. I would make a small slit as this area is important for further down the sides, instead of this you could add more louvres for example.

A problem you would have around the sidepods though due to the huge cutout is that you are going to have a hard time fitting you radiators in there, you have to have an engine lasting 24h so good cooling is needed, plus LMP's never lay the radiators that flat but rather tilt them sideways, this makes such undercut effectively impossible

Overall the base design is very good
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PNSD

Nice, if you dont mind could you provide the mesh details, and boundary conditions and solver details for the solution?

machin

Nice.... where's your fin?

(You have way too much free time on your hands!)
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Tonn

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

ESPImperium

Bravo, i also didnt see that one coming!!!

Car is leagal to 2010 specs, needs a shark fin with a surface area of 3.5Msq for 2011.

What program are you using for your designs as i can see me trying to design something soon.

Callum

Do you have a picture of the pressure variation of the underneath of the car?

LegendaryM

no sorry ive lost the cfd files
MRVC: Tolo Racing

Steven
Owner

Well since this is alive again, I was wondering why you have chosen such a high nose? Based on intuition I would say LMP's can't win much with such a design, on the contrary.

Did you try lower noses and found they were worse/slower/less DF ?