A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
wrcsti

Re: A paperboard Red Bull RB7

PaulB wrote:
wrcsti wrote:Small magnets to secure it maybe? Would also make it easy to remove.
I'm sure, that magnets in that size will be too weak.
Youd be surprised. I used 3 tiny neodinium magnets roughly the size of the letter C in a 20 euro cent coin to hold the entire canopy and fairing of a small rc airplane on, it would hit over 60kmh in a dive and the magnets never failed me. If anything they were too strong, I accidentally broke part of the plane off once (made of styrofoam)just trying to get the top off. You should be able to find them in any RC hobby shop.

Websta

This is an unbelievable model - I haven't been awestruck like this for a long time. When you do the tyres, you could try to use black electrical tape to get a rubbery surface. I can't wait to see this finished - I'm looking forward to this more than the RB8 launch!

beelsebob

Paul, I get that it would be technically inacurate, and that you'd probably rather avoid it – but could you place threads across the inside of the engine cover to pull it together at strategic locations?

Roland Ehnström

This is truly amazing.

I'm sure you'll get the job at Red Bull, have fun! =D>

PaulB

wrcsti wrote:
PaulB wrote:
wrcsti wrote:Small magnets to secure it maybe? Would also make it easy to remove.
I'm sure, that magnets in that size will be too weak.
Youd be surprised. I used 3 tiny neodinium magnets roughly the size of the letter C in a 20 euro cent coin to hold the entire canopy and fairing of a small rc airplane on, it would hit over 60kmh in a dive and the magnets never failed me. If anything they were too strong, I accidentally broke part of the plane off once (made of styrofoam)just trying to get the top off. You should be able to find them in any RC hobby shop.
Ok, I capitulate. :wink: I'll think about what I'll try on my next model.
Websta wrote:This is an unbelievable model - I haven't been awestruck like this for a long time. When you do the tyres, you could try to use black electrical tape to get a rubbery surface. I can't wait to see this finished - I'm looking forward to this more than the RB8 launch!
Not a bad idea, but I'll have problems with the side walls.
beelsebob wrote:Paul, I get that it would be technically inacurate, and that you'd probably rather avoid it – but could you place threads across the inside of the engine cover to pull it together at strategic locations?
How that can work? The internals will disturb this solution (in my point of view).
Roland Ehnström wrote:This is truly amazing.

I'm sure you'll get the job at Red Bull, have fun! =D>
Thanks!
On 14th we'll see how it works...

An update is coming soon.

Cheers,
Paul
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

PaulB

Hello guys!

Beside many small details, I mounted the finished brake covers.

That was a bit a ropy work, but...

...it pays off.

On the next car, I've to plan and integrate the fittings from the very beginning on. The head of the bull is a bit bumpy. :lol:

Three stickers are missing now (RENAULT, SIEMENS, Platform Computing) and the wheels with nuts.
Thanks for watching.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

jordangp

Brilliant as always Paul =D> You deserve the recognition from RBR.

strad

=D> =D> continued amazement. Fantastic
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Kredep

Dear Paul,

Absolutely amazing!
If you choose to do the Audi LMP racecar, I will make sure the right folks at Audi catches a glimpse. Please let me know where to follow the production. As all us, they will be stunned as well, I'm sure.

bestKristian

PaulB

Hello guys!
Kredep wrote:Dear Paul,

Absolutely amazing!
If you choose to do the Audi LMP racecar, I will make sure the right folks at Audi catches a glimpse. Please let me know where to follow the production. As all us, they will be stunned as well, I'm sure.

bestKristian
I'll tell you immediately after starting the report.

Okay, today it goes on with the rims. It's an eerie stressful and extensive work, to produce such a modern rim out of paperboard. The rear ones are semi finished (valve and lacquer are missing), at the front, the star of spokes's missing (only the star at the rear rims consits out of 48 parts). But the work pays off if you look at the achievement at the rear axle. The regulated width of 180cm is reached at the rear, at the front it maybe could exceed because of the 4° camber (we'll see that after completion). I've considered that in my calculations, but the manufacturing of the components out of paperboard never can be so accurate like the construction - I've to calculate with a tolerance of about +/-0,3mm.

As I said, the result of the rear axle can be proud of.

Even the nut is centred to the rim - I was afraid, they could be unconcenticaly by attaching because the brake covers leads the rim.

A short close view.

That's it for the mo, thanks for watching.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Mandrake

Holy....that's a very very good looking rim! Never thought it could be done like that with cardboard!

Given my impatience potential I envy you for your patience!

fussell

Mega impressed with this project.

Check out my car - viewtopic.php?p=305839&f=1#p305839

I can only hope mine will have as much detail!

Mr.G

Hi looking good. I'm too papermodeler (papermodelers.sk), for me is more than the work interesting from where you have such good baground data?

BTW whats the scale, 1:12?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

ced381

1:10 if I remember correctly.
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

PaulB

Mandrake wrote:Holy....that's a very very good looking rim! Never thought it could be done like that with cardboard!
Me too. :lol:
fussell wrote:Mega impressed with this project.

Check out my car - viewtopic.php?p=305839&f=1#p305839

I can only hope mine will have as much detail!
Thanks! Your car is also nice.
Mr.G wrote:Hi looking good. I'm too papermodeler (papermodelers.sk), for me is more than the work interesting from where you have such good baground data?

BTW whats the scale, 1:12?
Background data. Hmm, hours and hours of researching pictures, information, studying technical regulations, reading books, studying mechanical engineering on university and a bit of freakiness. ;)
ced381 wrote:1:10 if I remember correctly.
=D>

Cheers'
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL