A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
rhinoman2112
rhinoman2112

Re: A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Hey, quick question... What did you use for the carbon fibre on your RB7? Did you make it or can you buy some anywhere?

PaulB

rhinoman2112 wrote:Hey, quick question... What did you use for the carbon fibre on your RB7? Did you make it or can you buy some anywhere?
I went to google and wrote something like "carbon fibre structure" or "carbon fibre texture", took the best one and printed it out.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

breakfast
breakfast

this is quite possibly the coolest and craziest thing ive seen here yet.

Great work

rhinoman2112
rhinoman2112

PaulB wrote:
rhinoman2112 wrote:Hey, quick question... What did you use for the carbon fibre on your RB7? Did you make it or can you buy some anywhere?
I went to google and wrote something like "carbon fibre structure" or "carbon fibre texture", took the best one and printed it out.

Oh cool, thanks! Im currently making an F1 Steering wheel for a computer game and i need some carbon fibre :D , So did you print it out on normal priniting paper or something speacial?

PaulB

Yeah, normal printig paper (80g/m²). Then I glued it on the shape and afterwards I finished it with a clear lacquer.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

rhinoman2112
rhinoman2112

PaulB wrote:Yeah, normal printig paper (80g/m²). Then I glued it on the shape and afterwards I finished it with a clear lacquer.

Cheers,
Paul
Got it! Thanks a lot man. Im gonna put some onto my steering wheel. As of now it's just a pink insulation foam cut-out and it looks a bit harsh, so im gonna decor it up. Thanks again for the advice!

PaulB

Hey folks!

I guess you all noticed that Tamiya released a 1:20 RB6 kit - more than half a year after completion of my RB7...
I'm curious to see if the model can achieve the level of detail and the quality of my Red Bull. When I look at the pictures of the engine and gearbox, I doubt it. Especially the f duct looks shonky to me - the activation pipe to the cockpit is missing completely and the other pipes are much too thin. It's also a pity, that Tamiya did not built an engine. The heat shieldings are irremovalbe. I do not want to bash Tamiya, but me, as a person who knows that car quite well, notices these things. But at least it looks better than my own RB6. ;)

pictures on scaleautofactory.com
RB6 in Hobby Search shop

Tamiyas 1:20 RB6 kit - © Tamiya

That's how the engine bay looks. © Tamiya

That's how the engine bay should look! Piture source: f1technical.net

Cheers

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Alonso Fan

i love the model! fantastic it is, although i'm not a redbull fan myself

i'm making the Ferrari F138, and i'm wondering how you mounted on the suspension?

also, what did you use to make it shiny?

p.s. i think your next car should be the Ferrari F138, seriously.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

mechyeng
mechyeng

this is unbelievable !!! extremely impressive and such talent !!

Joey Zyla
Joey Zyla

That's amazing. :shock:

krisfx
krisfx

Ablion wrote:That's amazing dude, i really like this paper art and i think through this the companies can save money to make the dummy cars with papers not with some metal. Dummy design is very important because it show how our car will looks like in future.
Afaik the models in F1 are made from almost the same materials as the cars.

It's not to "show" the car, it's to test the components for their aerodynamic properties and such. Therefore, paper is unsuitable because it possesses the wrong properties and would give false results.

Edit: If you're talking about model companies, the amount of detail like Paul has achieved would just be ridiculously expensive for the company to pay skilled labourers to assemble the models.

PaulB

krisfx wrote:
Ablion wrote:That's amazing dude, i really like this paper art and i think through this the companies can save money to make the dummy cars with papers not with some metal. Dummy design is very important because it show how our car will looks like in future.
Afaik the models in F1 are made from almost the same materials as the cars.

It's not to "show" the car, it's to test the components for their aerodynamic properties and such. Therefore, paper is unsuitable because it possesses the wrong properties and would give false results.

Edit: If you're talking about model companies, the amount of detail like Paul has achieved would just be ridiculously expensive for the company to pay skilled labourers to assemble the models.
exactly also my point of view

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL