Ringo F1 design

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ringo

Ringo F1 design

Well this is a thread for my F1 design.
The car is not finished as yet and it's not very radical as the others on the site.
Reason being i am sticking to the regulations as much as possible to get the basic shape that i want, then test it and make refinements.
If it was too radical it would be difficult to have a baseline to build on improvements.

It has many refinements geometry and curve wise that are not visible to the untrained eye. I wont say what those are as yet until i test it.

The wings will be one of the last things to do, as those require the most attention.

Here it is so far:
it ticking all the boxes so far on the technical regulations list, and i leave a little note with the article number for each of the regulated volumes.

This car is designed on a horizontal line. I will do the test first before i put in the rake and adjust the sidepods, nose, wings and engine cover to the new reference plane; to see which rake angle is the optimum.
Right now i'm keeping it simple so i don't miss anything.
For Sure!!

Holm86

Re: Ringo F1 design

Im looking forward to follow this thread :)

I like that you have put in those boxes.

ringo

SO here is the 3/4 view.

The floor is not fully extended as yet, as i am not sure what kind of treatment to add beyond the 650mm line.

Gearbox is williams design, soon to detailed.

Engine was mocked up from measuring some pictures online of RS27 and cosworth motors.

top view showing how much room i have between bodywork and rearwheels. Very tight in the rear, though the rear body work is not done as yet.

I have the wheelbased marked out and the line inbetween is the COG line. Wheelbase is very long 3400mm.
Long wheelbase really helped round the back. Before i was trying hard to figure out how to get the large spacing.
The fuel tank is realistic and can do a race distance, so i couldn't just shrink the tank to make the car look nice and tight. Playing by the regs makes decissions about the geometry very difficult.
I went for a wide and short tank.
For Sure!!

LegendaryM

whats the volume of your fuel tank?
MRVC: Tolo Racing

ringo

the rs27 engine is 75liter/100km.

For a 306 km race distance, that is 229.5 L or 0.2295 m^3. Some of this volume can go behind the seat and some of it is under the roll hoop area.
For Sure!!

LegendaryM

That might be ambitious as Renault especially are using more fuel to blow the diffuser
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... more-fuel/

The capacity of mine is 237.8 L

MRVC: Tolo Racing

Tozza Mazza

I agree about playing by the regs, its horrible! :lol:
Car is looking really good, keep up the good work, hope to see an awesome end result.
What did you use as dimensions for the engine and fuel tank, I'd like to incorporate these into my designs. Thanks, TM.

HampusA

Lower nosecone! I can´t stand these high noses, ;)

RBR shows that it´s fully possible to go fast without it aswell. Looks nice otherwise!
The truth will come out...

ringo

It's coming around slowly...
For Sure!!

Tozza Mazza

Your Roll hoop looks like the 2000 Williams FW22. Love that car.

finishline

HampusA wrote:Lower nosecone! I can´t stand these high noses, ;)
I love the look of the high nose, the whole front section of the car sweeps down and is followed by the line the side pods take almost to the rear of the car.

ringo

Tozza Mazza wrote:Your Roll hoop looks like the 2000 Williams FW22. Love that car.

I see, it has a slight resemblance. I like this colour scheme too.

I was going with basics for certain standout details like the air intake for now.
I didn't see any aerodynamic reason to curl and style it and the simplicity looks more elegant.

The section of engine cover between the sidepods will change a little as well, it's not finished as yet, and i'm getting a feel of how i'd like it to come out.
The cooling bulge is not on either. I'm thinking how i'll shape it to influence the rear wing or be influenced by it.

I have the rest of the gearbox, the diffuser, the rear wings, front wings, under nose appendages, exhuasts left to do and the suspension. I'll try to get a basic rear wing done next. :)
For Sure!!

Tozza Mazza

Hi, yeah i was a little mistaken. I have an old slot car model of the FW22, and that model has a very similar roll hoop to yours.

Here's an image of it :lol:

One day I am gonna paint Button's helmet on it, when? , God only knows! :lol:

ringo

no major cooling exits as yet. It's in the no compromise form at the moment.

If you notice from the top view the side pod inlet slant forward. I have tested this, (with a proper intake hole on a different model) and it seems to produce down-force over the lip of the inlet.
This is a first in F1. :mrgreen: There is a small drag penalty however.

Most teams use this area differently. Mclaren use it to slot the front of their side pod. Ferrari and renault have their crash structure in it as this area is not restricted by the regulation to have a min. 75mm radius for one close curve.
I'm using it as an area to extend bottom of the sidepod and creat some force.

inspired by the Mig "fox hound"

and f22 "raptor"

just flipped upside down
For Sure!!

Tozza Mazza

That sir, is brilliant. Great thinking. surprised no teams have picked up on that. Wonder if the Delta wings seen on Fighter jets could be used to any effect?