Ringo F1 design

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Tozza Mazza

Re: Ringo F1 design

Ringo, why is your floor not full width?

ringo

becuase it may have a radius on it. A radius of 50mm is allowed.
I haven't decided what kind of curve i'll put on it.
If you notice ferarri have a curved floor edge.
For Sure!!

ringo

slowly getting to the end.
Front wing partially complete.

After the wing i have the gear box and suspension and rear crash structure.
And before i forget the edge of the floor and turning vanes.
For Sure!!

MIKEY_!

Going back a bit... sodium fluoride is pretty harmless in small doses. It's in toothpaste and is used to put fluoride in drinking water.

ringo

time is running out! :(
For Sure!!

Tozza Mazza

ringo wrote:time is running out! :(
You could quite easily switch it to the 2012 regs if you run out of time! :D

aleks_ader

Tozza Mazza wrote:
ringo wrote:time is running out! :(
You could quite easily switch it to the 2012 regs if you run out of time! :D
No problem just level the front nose and add periscoped exhaust! I reconmend you that you must turn to 2012! Maybe some team will use your ideas on next year car! :D
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

ringo

I'll copy the model and keep both.
For Sure!!

ringo

I'm still alive and kicking!! :P

front wing mostly done, just the apendages left on it, then i move on to finishing the floor edge,
turning vanes,
diffuser reprofiling,
gearbox differntial,
suspension arms front and rear
cockpit insides,
A "worlds first" brake rotor design. :wink:
air intake,
and that should be about it.

CFD for proof of concept, then i simple adjust the nose and exhuast for 2012.
I'm not rushing the 2012 model though, as i have many months into 2012 to finalize it.
For Sure!!

ringo

Oh yeah, the top view.
So any questions or comments on what is taking place so far?

In this shot you can see that the sidepod intake has a lower lip that can be seen from the top view. This lip is shaped to create downforce.
This was my main reason for copying the slant intake on the jets. Also for creating a greater downforce, during pitch. Flow into radiators will be interesting, can't wait for the CFD.

The "crow foot" exhuast is another aspect i can't wait to see in the CFD. i have not yet figured out how i will exploit this.
The FIA seemed to have read this thread, and the new rules prevent any team from exploiting the loop hole that i have with the 2011 regs.
For Sure!!

ringo

cockpit in the works here:

For Sure!!

MIKEY_!

Looking good mate!!! I'm interested to know how much the front wing supports can be shaped. Could they for instance join the nose horizontally? That gives the opportunity to create a wing shape as well.

Btw what's the tunnel in the outer part of the front wing for?

ringo

There is a limitation on how the support meets the nose.
A wing isn't really necessary though, as having them behave as huge sheilds or end plates is more effective for under nose flow.
You maintain a lower under nose pressure with the sheilds. Hence ferrari's supports and Renaults sheils by the A arms.

The tunnel in the wing is to push air more rapidly to the outside of the car, I realized that that region in front of the front wheel is not very usefull when the air crashes into the tyre behind and you get that high static pressure.
Taking that air and putting it to the side reduces the presure build up in front of the wheel and it also should have a positive effect with the flow allong the side of the car, which indirectly affects the floor's efficiency.
I'll have to see how well it works in the CFD.

The winglets on the front wing will be created once i finalize what i want from them.

Changing gears a bit, the cockpit on this car is made for small drivers. A waist 32 driver or 33 is as big a driver that can fit in this car. I didn't want to compromise it for the driver type. I'll show why with a cutaway view (it has to do with the splitter)
For Sure!!

MIKEY_!

Hmmm... I was looking at using the support as a hinge for flexing. Already had something similar this year but the new nose regs interfere. Any idea what the maximum angle allowed in frontal cross-section is? Thanks anyway :D

Tozza Mazza

MIKEY_! wrote:Hmmm... I was looking at using the support as a hinge for flexing. Already had something similar this year but the new nose regs interfere. Any idea what the maximum angle allowed in frontal cross-section is? Thanks anyway :D
How would that work? you can't split the wing, so it could only tilt forwards and backwards, to change the wings AoA.