2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Xero wrote:
25 May 2018, 14:13
Manoah2u wrote:
25 May 2018, 11:33
HTC still exists? lol.
Of course they do! They made the Vive VR headset, hence the VR deal with McLaren. They're also still banging out high end smart phones. Maybe they only target certain countries these days? Where you from Manoah2u?
I just switched from a HTC to a Samsung, and although a generation older the HTC was a better phone in every department (cept weight)

Yes, I know. Then why did you switch. Seemed like a good idea at the time :D

There were a good selection of HTC, so defiantly still going. I may have to consider sneaking back to Mclaren the way its going :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Big Tea wrote:
25 May 2018, 15:04
Xero wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
HTC still exists? lol.
Of course they do! They made the Vive VR headset, hence the VR deal with McLaren. They're also still banging out high end smart phones. Maybe they only target certain countries these days? Where you from Manoah2u?
I just switched from a HTC to a Samsung, and although a generation older the HTC was a better phone in every department (cept weight)

There were a good selection of HTC, so defiantly still going. I may have to consider sneaking back to Mclaren the way its going :D
HTC is the biggest crap in history of smartphones......on topic, race pace sim look the worst so far this year....baf weekend ahead, need some luck.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
25 May 2018, 15:33
Big Tea wrote:
Xero wrote:

HTC is the biggest crap in history of smartphones......on topic, race pace sim look the worst so far this year....baf weekend ahead, need some luck.
Do you have the link to the race pace data?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

OzanA
OzanA

GoranF1 wrote:
25 May 2018, 15:33
Big Tea wrote:
Xero wrote:

Race pace isn't so important here.Midfielder drivers cannot overtake Alonso in Monaco,but not sure about Stoffel.

Also I don't think Mclaren pushed hard so far, they are still not happy with setup.

Andres125sx

Big Tea wrote:
Xero wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
HTC still exists? lol.

Similar experience here, I still have great memories of my HTC Wildfire S, much better than my next Samsung S3 mini wich on the paper was some generations newer, but in the end I missed my HTC from first to last day I had the S3

Darth-Piekus

I have a legitimate question to make. Why are some Mclaren fans so negative regarding what Mclaren is trying to rebuild?

CjC
CjC

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 May 2018, 22:48
I have a legitimate question to make. Why are some Mclaren fans so negative regarding what Mclaren is trying to rebuild?
Because it's Mclaren........
Mclaren can seem to not do right in some eyes....
Mclaren get bashed for not having sponsors, they accuire sponsors but they are the wrong sponsors according to some #-o
Just a fan's point of view

Alonso Fan

CjC wrote:
25 May 2018, 23:03
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Because it's Mclaren........
Mclaren can seem to not do right in some eyes....
Mclaren get bashed for not having sponsors, they accuire sponsors but they are the wrong sponsors according to some #-o
Adding to this some people actually take the sponsor hype seriously
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RonDennis
RonDennis

Darth-Piekus wrote:
They just should have said that, instead of acting like they could challenge the top teams. At least they know things have to change instead of blaming Honda for everything.

Big Tea

CjC wrote:
25 May 2018, 23:03
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Because it's Mclaren........ I think you could have stopped there.
Mclaren should never have got into the position they are. Or that is the perception of some Mclaren fans.
I am a 'lapsed' Mclaren fan, and it was a long time dawning on me. It started really with the copied Ferrari plans, but from there on became a farce. Ron Dennis being forced out (allegedly to allow the team to continue in F1, but lets not go there) through mismanaging technical staff and taking an aloof position when they should have been working hard to recover their position in the top 4 not claiming they should be leading ..

It has been a drip feed of badly handled PR if nothing else.
So, To my mind, Mclaren should never have 'fallen', and do not seem to be taking the right steps to recover.

No matter that the reality is different, thats how it seems.
(please note before jumping,I have used the word perception in the statements.)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AJI
AJI

Darth-Piekus wrote:
I don't think it's specifically negativity, it's just that with disappointment after disappointment comes dissatisfaction and frustration.
A lot of older fans (like myself) remember the days of total McLaren domination like it was yesterday.
Romantic, yes.., but like anything that is romanticised comparisons between then and now compound and confuse feelings. There're only so many times you can be told, 'we're all right', and, 'don't worry, it'll be just like it was when we first got married', before you realise that it won't be alright, and you're actually getting a divorce...

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
25 May 2018, 14:31
I think ALO will do a 12.2 - 12.4 in Quali.
Ricciardo was into 1.11s in fp2 so expect at least mid to high 1.11s when balance issues are sorted

Cannonballer
Cannonballer

Darth-Piekus wrote:
I don't think that McLaren fans are negative about McLaren being successful, they are negative about the prospects of achieving success.
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

Darth-Piekus

The question is why are some Mclaren fans negative about Mclaren trying to come back to where they are. Why are they so quick to dismiss what they are trying to achieve? They keep elevating small teams like Torro Rosso and HRT just to spite the real big team which is Mclaren. When will they understand that these small teams will never be able to be as big as Mclaren and the reason they are here is because Mclaren are not themselves?

The same goes for Red Bull. Despite the 4 championships they got they will never be able to touch the history of Mclaren, Ferrari, Williams and Mercedes. These are the teams that are a living history of F1. Without them there is no Formula 1. Nobody would care if Red Bull, Torro Rosso or HRT left. So why all this negativity and all this spiting? Make no mistake Mclaren will outdevelop Renault and HRT and be on a position to challenge the top 3. It's a matter of time.

Darth-Piekus

Also this Honda did nothing wrong it's all on Mclaren should stop. Honda failed miserably. They had two years to prepare since they knew from 2013 that they would cooperate with Mclaren at 2015. Two years did nothing and then in their 3 years contract they provided nothing. They still don't provide anything to Torro Rosso since they were doing better with the Renault Engines last year. At the end of the day it is a clear fact that Mclaren are faster this year with the Renault Engine than last year and they yet to have stopped from an engine. The results talk themselves.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 26 May 2018, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.