2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Angel

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Not that it matters much, but anyone knows why, under the safety car period, Alonso was not allowed to unlap himself?

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 09:00
ALO_Power wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:16
They admire Fernando's capabilities and pay him that much but they can't even trust his opinion about if it's right to box or not, what a pity... That strategy was the worst possible.
It was not a matter of opinions or data. McLaren, similar to Red Bull with Verstappen, made a bet. They did bet rain would come, no matter what the weather reports were.

They failed miserably, but they had nothing to loose with one car dead last and the other outside the points, so shouldn´t provide any added drama...
Agreed! What I didn't like was that they didn't ask ALO opinion.
Last edited by diffuser on 23 Jul 2018, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Vasconia

radosav wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 20:15
Alonso said he is going to decide about his future somewhere on beach during summer brake.
So last race before that is Hungary, and i expect lot of upgrades at Hungary.
And i expect them to work, so Alonso stays.😏
I see no reason for Alonso so stay in McLaren right now. I wouln´t expect too much from those updates, if they exist, because other ones haven´t solved Mclaren´s problems. I hope I am wrong and Alonso can stay.

McG

I don't think McLaren can improve much if any this year. Their next chance will be 2021 where hopefully the new rules will shake everything up and McLaren concentrate on the 2021 car very early. Also hopefully by that time Renault have a better engine or McLaren change to a better engine by a new manufacturer.

It is not looking good for the next few years.
F1 is dead.

diffuser

Based on what we saw them testing in Germany. I think we're gonna see a bargeboad/midwing update. Maybe even t-tray and front wing.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 14:11
diffuser wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:12
mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:17

Did Mclaren say it is solely aero? They said they have a correlation issue. Ivan then said it wasnt exactly correlation. This makes me think the way the car is maintaining contact with the ground isnt what they expect.

Canada for instance, they ran a particularly hard suspension.... i do.wonder if the suspension causes the car to move too much and causes the floor to stop working. This is something they might find hard to test in a wind tunnel.
Yes they did say it was soley aero.

Correlation issue is why they didn't see it in the wind tunnel.
Do you have a link to them saying it was solely aero and no other issues?

I saw them saying correlation issues, not whether the correlation issue was solely the tunnel or issues with car behaviour. The fact that Ivan R has since stated that the issues "arent exactly correlation" clearly shows there is much more we dont understand about the issues. Happy to be wrong, but i have my doubts.
Around the 2 min mark of https://youtu.be/aw--BkZn7YY

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 14:29
mwillems wrote:
diffuser wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:12

Yes they did say it was soley aero.

Correlation issue is why they didn't see it in the wind tunnel.

I saw them saying correlation issues, not whether the correlation issue was solely the tunnel or issues with car behaviour. The fact that Ivan R has since stated that the issues "arent exactly correlation" clearly shows there is much more we dont understand about the issues. Happy to be wrong, but i have my doubts.
All i hear is a yet to be identified aero issue, which is also a statement from a journo. I guess the truth will out at somepoint.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

rogazilla
rogazilla

have a question for this weekend and asked in the race thread but the discussion is surrounding the Hamilton and Vettle.

I noticed at the 2nd safety car, Charles Leclerc had about 55 second gap to the car in front and Alonso was a couple of second behind him. Could him not get bunch up and get closer to the field? Looks like he retired shortly after the restart but that put Alonso a whole minute behind. Not that it makes a difference in points and scoring but just wondering why that is.

Lucky
Lucky

f1universe
f1universe

Alonso was probably to close to the pit entry to do anything but do what the team told him.

RonDennis
RonDennis

mwillems wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 14:38
diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:

All i hear is a yet to be identified aero issue, which is also a statement from a journo. I guess the truth will out at somepoint.
Well according to the guy from McLaren they've made some good progress on finding out what went wrong. Zak Brown said in Germany that the car has several problems, which probably means it's fundamentally flawed. So I would expect that they're fully switching to 2019 quite soon, because you can't polish a turd.

McG wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:43
I don't think McLaren can improve much if any this year. Their next chance will be 2021 where hopefully the new rules will shake everything up and McLaren concentrate on the 2021 car very early. Also hopefully by that time Renault have a better engine or McLaren change to a better engine by a new manufacturer.

Working on the 2021 car, I'm glad you ain't running a racing team.

Angel wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:11
Not that it matters much, but anyone knows why, under the safety car period, Alonso was not allowed to unlap himself?

He was 2 laps down.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:49
Based on what we saw them testing in Germany. I think we're gonna see a bargeboad/midwing update. Maybe even t-tray and front wing.
I didn't see any new bargeboard & midwing parts in Germany. Development starts at the front, always. That's why they were testing FW and brake ducts mostly. Maybe a new floor too.

McG

RonDennis wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 20:15
mwillems wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Well according to the guy from McLaren they've made some good progress on finding out what went wrong. Zak Brown said in Germany that the car has several problems, which probably means it's fundamentally flawed. So I would expect that they're fully switching to 2019 quite soon, because you can't polish a turd.

McG wrote:

Angel wrote:

He was 2 laps down.
No and you aren't either so step down from your high horse.

Mercedes put a lot of very early work into their 2014 car, Honda into the 2009 car. So enough of your crap.

By the end of 2019 when McLaren are still nowhere it will become a realistic option to increase focus on 2021.

One thing you don't understand for sure is that teams do think that far ahead no matter what situation they are in.
F1 is dead.

M840TR
M840TR

McG wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 21:03
RonDennis wrote:
mwillems wrote:

McG wrote:

Angel wrote:

He was 2 laps down.

Mercedes put a lot of very early work into their 2014 car, Honda into the 2009 car. So enough of your crap.

By the end of 2019 when McLaren are still nowhere it will become a realistic option to increase focus on 2021.

One thing you don't understand for sure is that teams do think that far ahead no matter what situation they are in.
Mate, the 2021 regs aren't even final yet.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 21:22
McG wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 21:03
RonDennis wrote:

He was 2 laps down.

Mate, the 2021 regs aren't even final yet.
There's always the crystal ball...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.