2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Jaisonas wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 14:41
I know they deactivate cylinders, but that bang, wasnt the usual cylinder deactivation. And just on this race, i saw flame coming out of Albon's exhaust. I'll vid it after the race. With those aggressive throttle applications, not all fuel can be burned.
To charge the ERS they can run the engine with late ignition, this will slow down combustion and crankshaft torque. Because the mixture is still expanding when the exhaust valve open, there is allot of energy in the exhaust to drive the turbo and mgu-h. It is same kind of combustion antilag systems use in rally.

Because of slow combustion, sometimes unburnt fuel can burn in the exhaust, which sounds like a bang.

Jaisonas

Just a couple of small bangs :D

Datco

Turned out better than expected. Good strategy calls. Max could have undercut Leclerc and Albon on Bottas if it were not for some traffic. Mercs and Ferrari were faster though. As max said this is a wake up call.

Wouter

GP Singapore Max 3th place and Alex 6th place.

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/statu ... 9980965888
MAX VERSTAPPEN
#VER33

Of course we always want to win but finishing on the podium and gaining one place on a track where you can’t really overtake is positive. It’s true that we came here hoping for more but this is still a good result for us, especially with the pace that the others had yesterday in qualifying. Most of the race was about managing the pace to keep the tyres alive and luckily that worked out for me. Charles was managing his tyres out front and the pace was pretty slow but that kept everyone really close and allowed me to get the undercut on Lewis. We had good pace after the pit stop and I was comfortable in third even with all the safety car re-starts until the last few laps when Lewis was pushing hard to overtake me on newer tyres, but luckily we were able to hold on. I wouldn’t say that today was that exciting from a racing perspective but Singapore has a lot of plus points being a street circuit, really tough on the body and just being a cool track to drive on. This wasn’t exactly the weekend we hoped for but we will keep pushing before next weekend.

ALEX ALBON
#ALB23

Most of that race was just managing my tyres so it was physically easier than I expected. It was only in the last 20 laps when I was really pushing it that I could feel the strain. So, I would call it a battle of management as I started P6 and finished P6. At times it felt more like a procession than a race for me. It was also a bit frustrating as I spent the whole race stuck behind a Mercedes. As I couldn’t overtake on the track I hoped that a pit stop would move me up the field but unfortunately that didn’t happen and then the safety car came out a few times. In the middle stint I wanted to get past Valtteri but I didn’t have the pace to overtake the Mercedes. I spent the whole race staring at a silver rear wing which wasn’t that fun. When he pushed I pushed and when he saved his tyres I saved mine so I felt like I was just going backwards and forwards and it almost felt like he backed me up so Lewis could get ahead. All in all for my first time here it was a positive race. My pace was a lot better so I’m definitely making progress. Even during the race I was finding little tricks to improve my speed. I was amazed by how many Thai flags were out there in the crowd so it was great to be racing here.
https://en.hondaracingf1.com/races/2019 ... racereview

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/statu ... 3560096777
The Power of Dreams!

loner

CL and Max equal on points 200 , hopefully more steam coming up spice up some actions...
para bellum.

Marti_EF3

Well, better than expected after a disappointing qualifying. It was a solid race, but they were slowing down to save tires, so no fair race pace comparision...

Let's see at Sochi where is supposed to arrive the new fuel and maybe some new bits to the PU. It will be a good test before Suzuka

auv
auv

Marti_EF3 wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 22:18
Well, better than expected after a disappointing qualifying. It was a solid race, but they were slowing down to save tires, so no fair race pace comparision...

Let's see at Sochi where is supposed to arrive the new fuel and maybe some new bits to the PU. It will be a good test before Suzuka
Sochi is mostly power demanding type of track. If RBR failed to win in Marina Bay, then they probably will be lagging behind Ferrari and Merc in Sochi. I don't expect anything particular from new fuel or PU upgrades, except new nice grid penalties.
It's the 5th season of their engine development, and Honda is still unable to schedule upgrades without pushing teams into penalty zone.

ispano6

Q: Erik van Haren – De Telegraaf Max, what is your overall conclusion after this weekend, your overall feeling? Quite happy about today or more of the disappointment of yesterday?

MV: Not good enough. We came here to win and clearly didn’t. Yesterday I think was worse than today but I would say it’s a little wake-up call. From Austrian onwards, it’s maybe our worst race in terms of performance, where we expected to be really good. I have a few ideas why it went wrong so we will analyse all of them and see if we can already be better in Sochi. The layout is not that amazing for us but you can clearly see if the car is working through corners or not. I think here, clearly, in too many corners the car was not working like I wanted it to. We’ll go home and see what we can do better.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Uoz6E.html

rogazilla

auv wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 23:25
Marti_EF3 wrote:

Sochi is mostly power demanding type of track. If RBR failed to win in Marina Bay, then they probably will be lagging behind Ferrari and Merc in Sochi. I don't expect anything particular from new fuel or PU upgrades, except new nice grid penalties.
It's the 5th season of their engine development, and Honda is still unable to schedule upgrades without pushing teams into penalty zone.
There is no penalty to take the fuel. Don’t know if they will take a new turbo but no back to the grid Pu upgrade that we know of.

Snorked

AMUS has Marko saying Red Bull brought the wrong package as a result of their simulator having incorrect kerb data 🤔

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... apur-2019/

Godius

Interesting, in Verstappen his Friday interview with Ziggo (Dutch broadcaster) he did mention that they setup the car way more stiffer compared to last year. I'm surprised that they did not took the appropriate measures straightaway. Maybe they thought there was no need to because they set P1 time in FP1 and P2 in FP2 or maybe they simply could not like Marko is suggesting.

GhostF1

auv wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 23:25
Marti_EF3 wrote:

That's not true. It was planned from the beginning to use more engines and take penalties to accelerate development for 2019 to launch an offensive in 2020. For a first year together, RBR and Honda have done well and I think Honda have more than proven their reliability gains, it's actually accurate to say they have been the most reliable this year out of all 4 manufacturers.

McMika98

I appreciate people trying to find a silver lining and blame the poor result on setup issues. But its a gut wrenching wake up call as Max said. They had 3 practice sessions to identify the issue. Max in FP1 and FP2 was very content but then Ferrari caught both Merc and Redbull by surprise in Fp3.
Redbull now is in danger of being the third best team.

Jambier

McMika98 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 07:50
I appreciate people trying to find a silver lining and blame the poor result on setup issues. But its a gut wrenching wake up call as Max said. They had 3 practice sessions to identify the issue. Max in FP1 and FP2 was very content but then Ferrari caught both Merc and Redbull by surprise in Fp3.
Redbull now is in danger of being the third best team.
Well, Red Bull is the third best team.
And it is often the case since several years, but of course Ferrari failures sometimes allow RB to be second.

If you look at standings, they were only 3rd all the year.
3RD 2019
3RD 2018
3RD 2017
2ND 2016
4RD 2015
2ND 2014

I understand that this is very frustrating, because every years it seems to be close to the top, but just a little bit behind.
And usually they finish the season very strong with the best of the grid in season developpement.

This year is a bit different, as they struggle at beginning of the year then made great progress.
Now they seems to be stagnating but I think this is an illusion: If you look at relative pace compare to Mercedes, they are closer.
But the Ferrari awakening hurt them of course.

The big question is: When will they finally suceed to be number 1 ? I think pushing hard for 2021 is a good strategy, and "let down" 2020, letting Honda work and bring many updates through the year

Bill

Redbull needs two drivers that are close together not separated by 0.8 tenth,that will require them to listen to the second driver not just Max develop the car that user friendly. Gasly was ridiculed by Marko for "wanting " Newey to build him his own car .