[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Wynters wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 01:07
Just heard the team radio for Verstappen during that super-brief stint on the Mediums. He came out Lap 27, lap 28 and lap 29 he was managing as Red Bull were concerned by the issues other teams had on the Mediums at the start. Then his engineer corrected himself and told him to push and go all out, which suggests Red Bull made a strategy shift during lap 29. Bottas also started pushing on lap 30 and they both pitted three laps later.

I wonder what made Red Bull change their mind?

The radio transmission also suggested that Mode 8 was a fairly slow mode and, after hassling his engineer, Verstappen got to use Mode 10.
Was this around the time they had a look at Albons used tyres?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

Wynters wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 00:41
Looking at the three lead cars there are a few interesting things that come out. Not much that wasn't apparent though so this will be more of a commentary than a strict analysis.

Verstappen did well off the start, holding the gap to the next Mercedes better than pretty much all season (1.451 here, 1.549 last weekend, 2.879 in Styria and 2.047 in Austria). For the first four laps, the Mercedes are pushing and racing ach other. They add half a second to their lead over Verstappen each lap, business as usual, basically.

But, tail end of lap 4, Hamilton begins to ease off and this is where it becomes apparent that Mercedes have got a fight on their hands (reminder, they areon the Medium whilst Verstappen is on the Hard). For the next seven laps, Verstappen takes time out of both Mercedes, even Bottas in clear air. Over those seven laps, he takes an average of 0.236 seconds out of Bottas (and slightly more out of Hamilton). It's not clear whether Bottas is holding Hamilton up (the gap hovers at just over a second but that might just be both Mercedes being tyre limited at this point).

It's in the middle of this seven lap 'reel in' that Mercedes start, not just losing time to Verstappen, but going slower than the lap before. This, of course, impacts Verstappen (Hamilton slowing, slows Verstappen in turn). Mercedes pit Bottas on 13 (he's a second a lap slower than he was on lap 4).

Hamilton pits the next lap, staying out losing him about 3/10ths on Bottas, and this free Verstappen who proves that his slow pace was due to being held up but immediately slipping from mid-32s to high 31s. The four laps after Hamilton pits (laps 16-19) Verstappen averages 1:31.816. Compared to the Mercedes' laps 2-5 pace of 1:31.79... Yes, lighter fuel but Mercedes were pushing each other and on much better tyres at that stage.

This is a good time to push, because that's what the Mercs are doing on their New Hard tyres. Bottas comes out hot and averages a 1:31.285 whilst Hamilton eases into his stint a little more (.5 slower on his out lap) and average 1:31.515. I suspect this premature push is where Bottas loses second to Hamilton, although it won't become clear for a while. I suspect that the extra heat he pumps into the tyres here hurts his pace and cripples his stint length.

And then it becomes clear that Mercedes don't have a fight on their hands. They've already lost. The next eights laps for the two Mercedes drivers are a 1:32.197 (VB) and a 1:32.476 (LH) average. Verstappen's eight laps? 1:31.455. Race. Won. I'm pretty sure Hamilton is already thinking about trying to beat Bottas at this point. Midway through that stint, once it's obvious Verstappen has this, he eases off, really cooling the tyres, then handles them slightly more gently than Bottas.

Verstappen pits for New Mediums on lap 27. Bottas pushes hard. Hamilton pushes a little. Verstappen gets Bottas immediately, despite a slow stop (and would have got him easily, despite what Bottas said in the interviews afterwards).

Then both Verstappen and Bottas pit on lap 32. I think Verstappen pitting caught Mercedes by surprise here. Certainly, it didn't look like Verstappen was running the pace of such a short stint. But, if we remember how quickly the Used Mediums of the Mercedes went off, maybe this was about as fast a stint as could be safely run. I'd lvoe to know if anyone has radio or onboard of Verstappen's in lap? I've a suspicion that he dived into the pits, catching Mercedes by surprise.

Over the next eleven laps, Verstappen stretches his lead to a comfortable 5 seconds (and goes on, increasing it until he wins).

Meanwhile, in the other Mercedes, Bottas is taking 2/10ths out of Hamilton each lap but Hamilton's 26 lap stint is actually slightly faster than Bottas 18 lap stint (LH started one lap later). Hamilton pits (it's a slow stop, costing him 1.2 seconds on Bottas), comes out, sets his fastest lap of the race (a 1:28.451 on lap 43). Bottas has been doing 1:30.6s for a few laps and this sudden injection of pace clearly comes as a surprise. It takes him until the next lap to respond, doing his own fastest lap of the race (a 1:29.765 on lap 44). He can't maintain it though, and as his pace lifts into the 1:30s Hamilton dips in and out of the 1:28s.

Lap 46, a bored Verstappen, clearly not worried about a safety car, puts in his fastest lap, a 1:29.465. On the same lap, Albon puts in his fastest (a 1:29.477, on tyres 2 laps older). This, to me, suggests that Verstappen has more pace in hand and that his next two laps are 1:29.5s suggests that he didn't take everything out of the tyres that he could have. This is actually the only point I can see where I think Verstappen could have improved this race. With seven laps to go and with Hamilton on much fresher tyres, this is a bit of a gamble. A safety car with a DAS-equipped Mercedes right behind you on tyres 1/3rd the age of yours...it feels like an unnecessary risk. To be fair, Verstappen clearly had some more in reserve but I wish he'd waited until lap 50 or 51.

The last couple of laps, everyone eases off (especially the Mercedes).

- - - - - -

Matt Trumpets raised the interesting scenario that Red Bull screwed Albon. Matt thinks that Albon could've been battling with Bottas for 3rd at the end. I'm not sure I entirely agree with him (although I see where he is coming from) but what is absolutely clear is that calling him early was a terrible mistake. By the time he and Norris make their second stops, his early pit has gained him... 0.036 seconds and locked him into a two-stop strategy.

Where as, if he'd just stayed out, the midfield would have parted like the Red Sea and he'd have ended up second, with Bottas just behind him when Stroll pitted on lap 18. From there, he could've pitted at a reasonable time for a one-stopper (let's also say around lap 18, under- or over-cutting Stroll. Then, assuming he could match Leclerc's pace in an awful Ferrari, he's close to Hamilton when Hamilton comes out of the pits for his final stint and would probably see Bottas cruising over the finish line just in front of him (Bottas gave up ten seconds on the last three laps so I don't think Albon has a chance of actually battling him).

I also don't think Red Bull had confidence in the one-stop, or they wouldn't have wasted 21 seconds pitting Verstappen so he could do six laps on a pair of Mediums. But, with hindsight, this is a case where rolling the dice hurt Red Bull and it also suggests that even Red Bull didn't have a complete handle on how the tyres were going to work.
Very good post, thank you, this is why I enjoy visiting this site! 2 things. Albon was pulled in as he was stuck behind Gasly and Gasly was determined to do everything he could to not let Albon by. Strange :lol: . They thought this the best time to get rid of the yellows.

Max had yo get rid of the yellows quickly as they wouldn’t have lasted to the end (without lewis reeling him in) and he could not go to white as you have to use two compounds. I expected him to “send it” on the yellows Straight after he passed Bottas. But that is why I am just a stupid follower and not on a pit wall!

Big Tea

The secret is out now guys. Horner had been getting special tuition on saving 50% tyre use ""
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

IvailoStefanovBG

Wynters wrote:
I'd love to know if anyone has radio or onboard of Verstappen's in lap? I've a suspicion that he dived into the pits, catching Mercedes by surprise.
Exactly ☺️😊☺️. He dived into pits... Lambiase told him to pit at the last corner. Great post by the way!!!

TNTHead

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 14:32
Wynters wrote:
I'd love to know if anyone has radio or onboard of Verstappen's in lap? I've a suspicion that he dived into the pits, catching Mercedes by surprise.
Exactly ☺️😊☺️. He dived into pits... Lambiase told him to pit at the last corner. Great post by the way!!!
Nice post indeed Wynters.

As for a part of the team radio, you can find it here for instance

Also interesting conversations between Ver and his engineer, after the second pit he's instructed to control the peaks on his tyres on the left hand side (driving smoother lines probably?) and asks for a higher engine mode and gets it.

ispano6

zibby43 wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 07:18
godlameroso wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 00:45
ME4ME wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 22:34

You didnt control read that did you :mrgreen:

Well if Mercedes rear brake ducts are worth so much lap time
, it's stands to reason that teams would protest Racing India's brake ducts. That's some technology that would not be easy to develop and it seems to give the Tracing Point's car a fair bit of pace. In essence they bought a leapfrog over Renault and McLaren and Ferrari, which would make the protest obvious.

Perhaps there's a turn of fates on the horizon, Mercedes is ahead with clever gimmicks and tricks, plus their monster engine, which forces RB to develop their own chassis at an accelerated pace. The gap closes but it isn't so apparent because their gimmick gives them unbeatable one lap performance. At least Honda is neutered but I feel that their implementation of a second power unit is strategic, because if they can't improve performance, they can improve robustness, which will tolerate the sort of performance they can unlock over the winter.
It's not just Merc's brake ducts that are vital to lap time. Brake ducts are vital to lap time for every team in modern F1.

It's probably one of the reasons why the brake ducts finally became a listed part this year. But all of the teams that used to buy these parts are in a similar position to Racing Point. No one, including Haas (who bought Ferrari ducts, and the entire Ferrari car in '15 via a loophole), can just forget the designs that used to use when "designing" their ducts this year. But that's an entirely separate discussion.

On a side note, I think it's extremely insulting and way off the mark to characterize Merc's package as "gimmicks and tricks." It's the best chassis on the grid, and it has been for the past 2 years. It's been the best PU in the hybrid era, and that would've been the case last year, but for Ferrari's 1-year, 1-trick pony.

Mercedes haven't even put any major aero upgrades on the car this year, and they brought zero upgrades to Silverstone 2. Barcelona, on the other hand, has historically been the circuit where Merc brings their biggest upgrade package of the season.
Right, not like Mercedes doesn't have their bag of tricks. If they have such a great PU why is it the only one blowing puffs of smoke pulling out of corners? It's not like Mercedes are so clean and don't exploit the language of the regulations. And they were caught with a suspension that needed modification but it took a Red Bull protest to bring it to light. And that was thanks to James Allison bragging so much about the rear that people studied it and found fault with it and in breach of regulations,
Silverstone 2 should have been a piece of cake for Mercedes but it looks like it was a spoiled one from the previous week but served on a paper plate instead of porcelain!

The first race DNF has been balanced out against Bottas so now we need to engineer some luck and steer clear of racing incidents and let the two Mercedes take each other out. Bottas will try to make up for his deficit to Hamilton and will challenge him and aid Max in taking the life out of the tires. Then there is the need for Alex to qualify better. There are some strategies that Red Bull can use to put Alex into the mix as well that can serve Max's qualifying and race outcome, so Red Bull need to look into that as well, perhaps engineering a tow for Alex with the aid of a slipstream from AT and Max.

ispano6

Sieper wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 12:41
Very good post, thank you, this is why I enjoy visiting this site! 2 things. Albon was pulled in as he was stuck behind Gasly and Gasly was determined to do everything he could to not let Albon by. Strange :lol: . They thought this the best time to get rid of the yellows.

Max had yo get rid of the yellows quickly as they wouldn’t have lasted to the end (without lewis reeling him in) and he could not go to white as you have to use two compounds. I expected him to “send it” on the yellows Straight after he passed Bottas. But that is why I am just a stupid follower and not on a pit wall!
1:43 "And the helpful Gasly was P11". Pierre could have saved his tires instead of racing Alex #-o

zibby43
zibby43

tangodjango wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 11:53
zibby43 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

, it's stands to reason that teams would protest Racing India's brake ducts. That's some technology that would not be easy to develop and it seems to give the Tracing Point's car a fair bit of pace. In essence they bought a leapfrog over Renault and McLaren and Ferrari, which would make the protest obvious.

Perhaps there's a turn of fates on the horizon, Mercedes is ahead with clever gimmicks and tricks, plus their monster engine, which forces RB to develop their own chassis at an accelerated pace. The gap closes but it isn't so apparent because their gimmick gives them unbeatable one lap performance. At least Honda is neutered but I feel that their implementation of a second power unit is strategic, because if they can't improve performance, they can improve robustness, which will tolerate the sort of performance they can unlock over the winter.
It's not just Merc's brake ducts that are vital to lap time. Brake ducts are vital to lap time for every team in modern F1.

It's probably one of the reasons why the brake ducts finally became a listed part this year. But all of the teams that used to buy these parts are in a similar position to Racing Point. No one, including Haas (who bought Ferrari ducts, and the entire Ferrari car in '15 via a loophole), can just forget the designs that used to use when "designing" their ducts this year. But that's an entirely separate discussion.

On a side note, I think it's extremely insulting and way off the mark to characterize Merc's package as "gimmicks and tricks." It's the best chassis on the grid, and it has been for the past 2 years. It's been the best PU in the hybrid era, and that would've been the case last year, but for Ferrari's 1-year, 1-trick pony.

Mercedes haven't even put any major aero upgrades on the car this year, and they brought zero upgrades to Silverstone 2. Barcelona, on the other hand, has historically been the circuit where Merc brings their biggest upgrade package of the season.

If the team and cars were reversed this year no doubt the same supposed 'tricks and gimmicks' would be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Funny how that works.

Sieper

Not really. We already had that 4 Red Bull’s. It was declared unwanted/illegal.

zibby43
zibby43

ispano6 wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 18:10
zibby43 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Right, not like Mercedes doesn't have their bag of tricks. If they have such a great PU why is it the only one blowing puffs of smoke pulling out of corners? It's not like Mercedes are so clean and don't exploit the language of the regulations. And they were caught with a suspension that needed modification but it took a Red Bull protest to bring it to light. And that was thanks to James Allison bragging so much about the rear that people studied it and found fault with it and in breach of regulations,
Silverstone 2 should have been a piece of cake for Mercedes but it looks like it was a spoiled one from the previous week but served on a paper plate instead of porcelain!
I didn't see a single puff of smoke from any of the Merc PUs at either of the races in Silverstone.

Also, let's not pretend like Red Bull haven't had their own moments exploiting the language of the regulations.

In 2017, after a request from clarification from Ferrari, they had to re-design their suspension which was pre-loaded in a way that helped their car aerodynamically.

Not to mention all clarifications on flexible bodywork aimed at Red Bull during the hybrid era (and I seem to remember their RW looking like it was made out of jello the first few races of the year, this year as well).

As a matter of fact, every time the FIA issues clarifications, including the ones on the PU this past season, it's Mercs rivals that take a step back. But never Mercedes. I wonder why that is?

So, in the words of Danny Ric, "Save it." :mrgreen:

ispano6

zibby43 wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 20:12
ispano6 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

I didn't see a single puff of smoke from any of the Merc PUs at either of the races in Silverstone.

Also, let's not pretend like Red Bull haven't had their own moments exploiting the language of the regulations.

In 2017, after a request from clarification from Ferrari, they had to re-design their suspension which was pre-loaded in a way that helped their car aerodynamically.

Not to mention all clarifications on flexible bodywork aimed at Red Bull during the hybrid era (and I seem to remember their RW looking like it was made out of jello the first few races of the year, this year as well).

As a matter of fact, every time the FIA issues clarifications, including the ones on the PU this past season, it's Mercs rivals that take a step back. But never Mercedes. I wonder why that is?

Just because you can't see doesn't mean that it isn't happening. Either you choose to turn a blind eye or you're not paying enough attention. Ric is history, so is 2017, this is 2020, let's stay on topic.

Revs84
Revs84

zibby43 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Not exactly.

Only Ferrari took a step back with its power.

Renault remained more or less where it was last year since they focused on reliability. It's quite visible actually since they've run quite reliably with a decent power output.

Honda stood still in quali mode but took a good step forward in race trim. In the latter, they are quite evenly matched with Mercedes actually, except for being a bit short on ERS.

And Mercedes? They just surprised everyone with an unexpected leap forward, particularly in quali mode.

I won't speculate on how that happened or anything, but I will say this; Honda is not too far off in quali either and the majority of the 1s difference is down to issues with making the RB16 work during quali.

zibby43
zibby43

ispano6 wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 20:49
zibby43 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

Just because you can't see doesn't mean that it isn't happening. Either you choose to turn a blind eye or you're not paying enough attention. Ric is history, so is 2017, this is 2020, let's stay on topic.
I'm being sincere. There were puffs of smoke coming from the Merc PUs in the opening rounds, but I cannot remember seeing a single Merc PU smoking in any of the sessions at either of the Silverstone races.

It sticks out to me because di Resta and other members of the Sky crew kept pointing out how they didn't notice that behavior anymore. Do you have photographs or footage showing otherwise?

Irrespective of whether it continued to happen, I'm disappointed that some automatically cast some kind of sinister association on the behavior, when there are just as many benign causes for it.

Also, I think we're having a failure to communicate. I'm trying to keep this fun and lighthearted. "Save it" is what RIC told his team after RB botched his pit stop in Monaco. Hence, "Save it" if you're going to claim like Red Bull doesn't push the rules envelope, too. And "Save it" again if you think it's not happening this year.

I was genuinely happy to see RB win this weekend. It's much more satisfying to have a rival challenging Merc's performance.

It was also entertaining to see the narrative from a few folks go from "Merc are dominating - they must be cheating" to "Merc aren't that dominant, RB are going to challenge for the championship this year!"

Sieper

I agree with you zibby. I have been paying close attention to every on track session this season, ok, sometimes my iPad distracts me, but indeed I have seen no smoke pufs from Merc engines in Silverstone anymore. Not one. That must be of some significance.

I am also one of those. Sudden improvement, what’s up, smoke even, mmmhhhh. Kind of guys. Can’t help it.

Also, in reply to Revs84 post above, albons engineer seems to think he will qualify much higher up in Spain, you can hear him say it in the race audio track posted above.

zibby43
zibby43

Sieper wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 22:28
I agree with you zibby. I have been paying close attention to every on track session this season, ok, sometimes my iPad distracts me, but indeed I have seen no smoke pufs from Merc engines in Silverstone anymore. Not one. That must be of some significance.

I am also one of those. Sudden improvement, what’s up, smoke even, mmmhhhh. Kind of guys. Can’t help it.

Also, in reply to Revs84 post above, albons engineer seems to think he will qualify much higher up in Spain, you can hear him say it in the race audio track posted above.
Appreciate the honesty + confirmation Sieper. Refreshing. Thanks for sharing.