[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zibby43

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

dans79 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 21:36
zibby43 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 20:36
Phil wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 19:15
I just watched that clip in its entirety. Simply astonishing.

And I have to add; damn the Mercedes has been a beautiful car these last few years. I even really started to like the black livery too.
If you or anyone else would like to check out a great e-book chronicling all of Hamilton’s 92 wins, you can check that out here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ource=link

Various download methods available there.

Something that has been in the works for a while now.
I'm only a few pages in but it looks very good so far.
Outstanding! I will be sure to pass along that feedback - which the authors of the project will be very appreciative of!

tangodjango

Latest debrief by Allison:
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

McG

tangodjango wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 16:42
McG wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 00:52
zibby43 wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 23:56
https://the-race.com/formula-1/engine-c ... des-stats/

Piece from Gary Anderson evaluating which components have been the most important with respect to Merc's dominance of the hybrid era.

Order seems to be: 1) Hamilton; 2) Chassis; 3) PU.

"I suppose from this we could say that the Mercedes chassis is the thing that stands out and is actually more important to the jigsaw than the Mercedes engine."

"As far as drivers are concerned, Hamilton is in a class of his own. Yes, Max Verstappen or some of the other up and coming stars of the future might just be able to give him more of a battle – and if you were to put him in a Williams he would struggle – but in this era, he comes out as the first piece of the jigsaw that you need to put in place if you want to win races. This is really the Hamilton era more than the Mercedes era."
When it's put that way it really seems like a crime that Max, Alonso or another match for Hamilton wasn't put in the other Merc. For all that Merc make it out like they aren't like Ferrari, they are very similar in this sense. They don't want 2 cars battling every race which is a shame for us.
Alonso and Max have only themselves to blame they aren't in the Mercedes.
Oh because Alonso is toxic that's right :lol: The reality is Mercedes are very happy with the a clear number 1 driver. It's good for everything except the fans. We are all fans so there's no point in sticking up for a massive organisation taking something away from us. In Max's case, Mercedes could have easily had him before Max signed a new contract with RB.

That's the only thing I don't really like about Merc. Apart from 1 or 2 little below the belt things over the years, they seem like a very fair team. Although it's questionable how much Toto had to do with the Pink Mercedes design. It is in his best interests for RP to do well.
F1 is dead.

McG

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 16:26
McG wrote:
When it's put that way it really seems like a crime that Max, Alonso or another match for Hamilton wasn't put in the other Merc. For all that Merc make it out like they aren't like Ferrari, they are very similar in this sense. They don't want 2 cars battling every race which is a shame for us.
Who won the championship in 2007 and why?
Dude stop crying about 13 years ago. If McLaren can forget about it then so can/should you. And also I'm sure Mercedes and Hamilton did.
F1 is dead.

El Scorchio

McG wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 17:57
tangodjango wrote:
McG wrote:

Oh because Alonso is toxic that's right :lol: The reality is Mercedes are very happy with the a clear number 1 driver. It's good for everything except the fans. We are all fans so there's no point in sticking up for a massive organisation taking something away from us. In Max's case, Mercedes could have easily had him before Max signed a new contract with RB.

That's the only thing I don't really like about Merc. Apart from 1 or 2 little below the belt things over the years, they seem like a very fair team. Although it's questionable how much Toto had to do with the Pink Mercedes design. It is in his best interests for RP to do well.
Mercedes don't have a designated or contracted number 1 or number 2 driver. They have two drivers with equal rights and privileges, although one just happens to be somewhat better than the other so almost always beats him in a fair fight. They are happy to have two cars battle, as has been clearly shown for the last seven seasons. What they are not happy with is having their drivers infighting.

McG

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 18:20
McG wrote:
tangodjango wrote:

Mercedes don't have a designated or contracted number 1 or number 2 driver. They have two drivers with equal rights and privileges, although one just happens to be somewhat better than the other so almost always beats him in a fair fight. They are happy to have two cars battle, as has been clearly shown for the last seven seasons. What they are not happy with is having their drivers infighting.
No they don't have it designated, but grey have a clear number 1 anyway. And that's their choice to stick with that year after year. You are assuming and speculating that there would be infighting like with Hamilton and Rosberg but no one knows that as Alonso or Max were never given a chance. No wonder Hamilton seems like an angel, he has never had a real challenge since Rosberg and even that is arguable.
F1 is dead.

El Scorchio

McG wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 18:29
El Scorchio wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 18:20
McG wrote:

No they don't have it designated, but grey have a clear number 1 anyway. And that's their choice to stick with that year after year. You are assuming and speculating that there would be infighting like with Hamilton and Rosberg but no one knows that as Alonso or Max were never given a chance. No wonder Hamilton seems like an angel, he has never had a real challenge since Rosberg and even that is arguable.
I think you're being pretty disingenuous there. Like I said, there is no number one driver and basically no credible evidence to support that theory.

If they have two drivers that can coexist well and bring home both championships year after year then why would they ever even want to consider a change? Why bother with the price tag and baggage and headaches that Alonso and Verstappen would come with, when they already have the ace in the pack driving for them?

sprint car76

I like how everybody wants Hamilton to have a strong teammate. I guess Alonso, Button, and Rosberg don't count even though their all World F1 Champs. So now the latest hot driver is verstap. and Hamilton should take him on. So no driver is worthy unless he beats MY favorite. When verstap. had ricciardo as a teammate how did that work out???? Ricciardo admitted that he though he was not getting the same car and left. How many teammates do you think Hamilton rejected (if any) ? When Hamilton went to Merc and schumi. left and rosberg stayed, do you think he would have turned down the ride if shumacher had stayed? I don't think so because just like battling Alonso i think he would loved competing against Schumacher. My biggest question is why Bottas signed for another year to get beat up by Hamilton? Wouldn't have been better for him to go to Renault like Ricciardo to distance himself from the losing seasons he is having. Maybe i'm misjudging him and that he is happy having a win or two or three every season but having to answer the awkward question at the end of every race. Max and Hamilton in the same car is never going to happen. Would Schumacher have accepted Montoya as a teammate back when both were at the top of their game???

zibby43

Speaking of Alonso, he was asked by Sky as to who he thinks will be F1’s star of the future.

He said George Russell.

“From all of them, George Russell is the one that surprises me every weekend. How he's driving the Williams. Zero mistakes. I'm really surprised about his natural speed.”

"So if I have to say one name, Russell for the future is going to be my pick."

El Scorchio

zibby43 wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 04:19
Speaking of Alonso, he was asked by Sky as to who he thinks will be F1’s star of the future.

He said George Russell.

“From all of them, George Russell is the one that surprises me every weekend. How he's driving the Williams. Zero mistakes. I'm really surprised about his natural speed.”

I’m with him on that.

But I hope he’s better at picking drivers than picking teams!

zibby43

El Scorchio wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 04:45
zibby43 wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 04:19

He said George Russell.

I’m with him on that.

But I hope he’s better at picking drivers than picking teams!
:lol:

That was a good one. I hope so, too haha.

It does surprise me a little how much George flies under the radar. I get that he's in a Williams, but he has handled F2 runner-up Latifi this year. 12-0 in qualifying.

I can't figure out if Mercedes are going to replace Bottas with George when the new regs hit and racecraft becomes more essential. Or, they're going to wait until Hamilton retires to put George in the lead seat, with Bottas being the elder statesman for a few years.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 05:32
I can't figure out if Mercedes are going to replace Bottas with George when the new regs hit and racecraft becomes more essential. Or, they're going to wait until Hamilton retires to put George in the lead seat, with Bottas being the elder statesman for a few years.
My only concern is that George hasn't proved his racecraft at the F1 level. He's had several blunders, buy almost no instances of him proving he's good at wheel to wheel combat at this level. The fact that he's in a Williams really shines a spotlight on the blunders.
197 104 103 7

zibby43

dans79 wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 06:47
zibby43 wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 05:32
My only concern is that George hasn't proved his racecraft at the F1 level. He's had several blunders, buy almost no instances of him proving he's good at wheel to wheel combat at this level. The fact that he's in a Williams really shines a spotlight on the blunders.
Fair criticism. His first laps need to get better. In terms of mistakes, he had a bad race performance in Russia, and I remember him taking a trip through the gravel trying to pass Magnussen at the Styrian Grand Prix.

I think he's got the raw pace, and I wonder how he'd fair if he wasn't in a car destined to go backward every time he puts it further up the grid than it deserves to be in quali.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 06:57
In terms of mistakes, he had a bad race performance in Russia, and I remember him taking a trip through the gravel trying to pass Magnussen at the Styrian Grand Prix.
Those at least are somewhat understandable, as he was up against a better car.

Taking out a marker board like this still gives me pause though. Same car, up against an over the hill driver, on a track that's not exactly hard to pass on.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/ ... ubica.html
zibby43 wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 06:57
I think he's got the raw pace, and I wonder how he'd fair if he wasn't in a car destined to go backward every time he puts it further up the grid than it deserves to be in quali.
Without question he has one lap qually pace, and the ability to be right on the ragged edge!
197 104 103 7

holeindalip

LM10 wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 15:23
Seems like Gary Anderson only remembers the time from 2018 on. It’s like a slap in the face to tell that Mercedes did not have the edge in the first few years primarily because of their PU.
He seems to have forgotten 2017 as well when Ferrari with a superior chassis got slaughtered on the straights by Mercedes.

As for his claim that it’s not been a Mercedes era - couldn’t disagree more. Hamilton is the best driver, but he’s not been the biggest factor in the domination of Mercedes.

It’s not the first time Gary Anderson talks some weird stuff. Remember him being sure about Ferrari walking to the title in 2019. We all know how that turned out.
Dating back to 2017 and including this year, how many drivers titles would have been won without Hamilton in that seat?

Edit: not to come off d*ckish, and I know it’s not just cut and dry not knowing how other drivers would perform in that car...