2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Both Charles and Carlos looking pretty quick in FP.

Might have the 3rd quickest car this weekend...

JPBD1990

Looking good on both single lap pace and race pace. I’m surprised, but pleased. Let’s see how it plays out over the weekend.

Leclerc crashes just as I type this lol, but 3 mins left of the session - at least it shouldn’t impact proceedings too much.

LM10

Really good pace overall. Encouraging signs, very nice.

JPower

Watched Sainz's second quali attempt where he messed up at Turn 17 and decided to pit. His engineer said he was on pace for a 1:15.5. Let's see if these guys can put it together for Q3.

JPower

Great quali by Charles as usual.

Carlos will be fine in the race but its clear that he’s not at 100% in the car. Good thing for him is that outside of Checo, the rest of the new drivers are in the same boat. Starting on the mediums might help anyway.

Hopefully they can both come away some points tomorrow.

JPBD1990

Interesting that often early in the weekend, Charles seems on the back foot. I fully expected Carlos to out qualify him this race after FP1, and at least be very close with him in FP2 and 3 - then suddenly Charles turns it on and the difference is huge.

I like Carlos very much and respect him greatly. I hope he can get to grips with the car quickly to give Ferrari the best possible year

JPower

If you're Ferrari you have to be happy with the result. They might've gone a little conservative putting both cars on medium after the restart but things worked out.

The important takeway for me is both cars showed good pace and Carlos was able to recover from his qualifying issue. Like I said, he's got the pace during the race, just has to figure things out on Saturday.

Portimao should be another track Ferrari will do well on.

wowgr8

JPower wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:24
If you're Ferrari you have to be happy with the result. They might've gone a little conservative putting both cars on medium after the restart but things worked out.

The important takeway for me is both cars showed good pace and Carlos was able to recover from his qualifying issue. Like I said, he's got the pace during the race, just has to figure things out on Saturday.

Charles losing the position at the restart is painful. A podium and a few more points in the CC lost. But otherwise a positive weekend and both drivers kept their noses clean. Imola should've suited Ferrari but the way McLaren roared back on Saturday means you really can't go into any race thinking Ferrari are midfield favorites. McLaren especially with that Mercedes engine and low drag car. It's almost a reverse of Mercedes vs Ferrari 2019 but McLaren have a way better car relatively speaking

JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:55
JPower wrote:

Charles losing the position at the restart is painful. A podium and a few more points in the CC lost. But otherwise a positive weekend and both drivers kept their noses clean. Imola should've suited Ferrari but the way McLaren roared back on Saturday means you really can't go into any race thinking Ferrari are midfield favorites. McLaren especially with that Mercedes engine and low drag car. It's almost a reverse of Mercedes vs Ferrari 2019 but McLaren have a way better car relatively speaking
I don't think anyone came into this season thinking the fight for P3 will be easy. It'll make for good TV for sure.

ryaan2904

wowgr8 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:55
JPower wrote:

Macs have a way better engine i think. In the wets, Ferrari were out there, just slightly behind mercedes i think. Also, leclerc caught up to norris and got into drs range early enough, even with norris on better tyres. But i guess that Ferrari engine just isnt any match for the top 2 right now. They were too easy on the straights smh #-o
I guess this is what it must've felt like being a Mercedes fan in 2019
CFD Eyes of Sauron

wowgr8

Ferrari had set their car up for the race. They sacrificed speed hoping to pull a 1 stop on the softs. I think that's where the straight line problem came from

outsid3r

wowgr8 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 20:40
Ferrari had set their car up for the race. They sacrificed speed hoping to pull a 1 stop on the softs. I think that's where the straight line problem came from
Correct, they put on more DF for the race also keeping in mind the high percentage of the chance of rain - this is what both Binotto and Leclerc told Sky F1 Italy. So if it wasn't for the very unfortunate red flag, it would have been the perfect strategy. One cannot say that McLaren didn't follow the same idea but you can't say the Ferrari PU is inferior to Merc just because Leclerc couldn't pass Lando on the straights.

Emag

I think it is safe to assume that there is still a deficit to the Mercedes PU, however small it might be. But it should also be noted that McLaren had a quick car in the straight line last year as well. It's a trait of their car that has seemingly been carried over this season as well. The fact that even Lewis (same engine) with a superior car and tire performance took 4 or so laps to get by Norris should be taken as proof of that.

wowgr8

Emag wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 21:29
I think it is safe to assume that there is still a deficit to the Mercedes PU, however small it might be. But it should also be noted that McLaren had a quick car in the straight line last year as well. It's a trait of their car that has seemingly been carried over this season as well. The fact that even Lewis (same engine) with a superior car and tire performance took 4 or so laps to get by Norris should be taken as proof of that.
Yup spot on. It's really incredible how Leclerc couldn't make an impression on Norris after the restart, he was in DRS range for so long. The Merc PU stretched its legs this weekend after some people wrote it off at Bahrain

Leclerc "We struggle on the straights and today we paid the price"

Vasconia

wowgr8 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 21:53
Emag wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 21:29
Yup spot on. It's really incredible how Leclerc couldn't make an impression on Norris after the restart, he was in DRS range for so long. The Merc PU stretched its legs this weekend after some people wrote it off at Bahrain

Leclerc "We struggle on the straights and today we paid the price"
He struggles a lot because he was unable to put some pressure on Norris even with better drivers.