Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mahesh248

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

MSC not happy with the tyre manufacturer, the later thinks other wise.

"The main thing I feel unhappy about is everyone has to drive well below a driver's, and in particular, the car's limits to maintain the tyres," said the Mercedes driver.

"I just question whether the tyres should play such a big importance, or whether they should last a bit longer, and that you can drive at normal racing car speed and not cruise around like we have a safety car.

"I'm not happy about the situation, let's see what happens in future. If it was a one-off car issue, you could say it's up to us to deal with it.

"But basically it is everybody, with maybe one or two exceptions, and if it is 80 percent of the field that has this problem, then maybe the tyre supplier should think about that."

Schumacher's criticism came in the wake of Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix, which saw drivers have to stop three times in the 57-lap race.

As for Pirelli's response, Paul Hembrey told Autosport: "I'm disappointed to hear those comments. Others were getting on with the job and getting their tyres to work.

"His comments during winter testing were that he was very happy with the tyres, and now he seems to have changed his tune."

raymondu999

Hembery was obviously not happy about it - he's been somewhat vocal about it on his Twitter account too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Dragonfly

I hope more drivers express their frustration. I am sure it's not only MS and NR.
Hembrey seem carried away by the feeling of power he has now that by his own words even they can't predict tyre behavior. And this by his view is making the championship exciting. Pirelli are the only tyre manufacturer to be proud of producing $1t and leave every visited venue covered with $1t.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

mahesh248

[quote="raymondu999"]Hembery was obviously not happy about it - he's been somewhat vocal about it on his Twitter account too.[/quote]

It bothered him for sure, but who's word to go with MSC or Membery , I feel MSC is right, probably the car's are under performing, JB himself is struggling to understand the tyres wear and management.

AosudiF1

The Pirelli guys were very clear at the beginning of last year when they said that they would help the show by making tyres not last very long, but that by no means they wanted that to go back and bite them in the ass as bad advertising.

I guess MSC is trying to put a little pressure to have tyres last a bit longer. I don't think he will succeed.

Hembery said it himself, with something like "If I don't give the teams enough headaches, Bernie calls me".

snoop1050

bernie just wants a show with craploads of overtaking so he can break into america.

if we wanted nascar and people changing position for the sake of it maybe we wouldnt be watching f1

Maelstrom

Re:

AosudiF1 wrote:The Pirelli guys were very clear at the beginning of last year when they said that they would help the show by making tyres not last very long, but that by no means they wanted that to go back and bite them in the ass as bad advertising.

I guess MSC is trying to put a little pressure to have tyres last a bit longer. I don't think he will succeed.

Hembery said it himself, with something like "If I don't give the teams enough headaches, Bernie calls me".
I doubt he'll succeed either. Though thats a loss for the sport. It's become more about strategy and less about on the edge racing.

dren

Cocles wrote:Personally, I like the "new" Rosberg. He fights to keep his position. Who knows what's going on in his head, but I think it's safe to say that now that he *knows* he has a chance of winning he's more likely to defend his position.

And hey... as long has he gets away with it, I'm fine with Rosberg being as aggressive as he wants.
I was going to say the same thing. It's better to see Rosberg actually give a sh!t about his position than just get smoked.
Honda!

raymondu999

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Given that Michael Schumacher (who I think probably had many opportunities to DRS other people) didn't really have much in the way of spectacularly cutting back through the field - is the F-duct really worth it? I was expecting Merc to really excel as such.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NonNewtonic

raymondu999 wrote:Given that Michael Schumacher (who I think probably had many opportunities to DRS other people) didn't really have much in the way of spectacularly cutting back through the field - is the F-duct really worth it? I was expecting Merc to really excel as such.
I don't think so what I think the reason why the DDRS system doen't seem to give that much of extra top speed is because the team is sacrificing top speed for extra downforce but still allow the car running similar top speed as the others so basically the Mercedes is always running more downforce compared to their rivals thats why the car always looked sticked to the ground as the Red Bulls but the Red Bulls don't have the DDRS system so they are always the slowest in those speed trap

mx_tifoso

Holy run-on sentence Batman!! :shock:

But yeah, that makes complete sense. But it's only a significant advantage when they can use their tyres properly, which I don't see happening at every GP.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ArchAngel

That's NonNewtonic channeling his inner Kimi. :D After Bahrain, I guess the Ice-Cream Man is definitely back in most people's subconscious. :mrgreen:

Brawn previously talked about the team seeking to broaden the W03's operating 'sweet spot' (such an overused term this season, no thanks to Pirelli). Any ideas from anyone how they plan to achieve this, and what solutions we might see the team test in Mugello?

Cocles

raymondu999 wrote:Given that Michael Schumacher (who I think probably had many opportunities to DRS other people) didn't really have much in the way of spectacularly cutting back through the field - is the F-duct really worth it? I was expecting Merc to really excel as such.
Well-- based on what he said after the race when he took Pirelli to task, if a person has a large enough gap you'll destroy your tires catching up to them. He'd rather the drivers be allowed to drive to the limit of their car's (and their own) performance.

DDRS is pointless at that point.
Last edited by Cocles on 24 Apr 2012, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

My point though, was that he was behind several cars that were fundamentally slower than his - surely he didn't have to push above and beyond his "regular" race pace in order to get into the DRS zone of some...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Raptor22

schumacher going to Hockenheim to watch DTM this weekend. First time in 20 odd years.
I guess thats what he will be doing next year. I really hope he won't be driving a Mercedes