Williams 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Williams 2012

I'm afraid this year will be a very sad swansong for Williams, he had his chance with BMW but blew it big time.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

munudeges
munudeges

All far too late I'm afraid. There's been numerous chances to let the team move on over the past twenty years, and in the last ten when the decline has really happened nothing was done.

Too much faffing about with drivers and sticking to a course that really has precipitated their decline. They really didn't fight hard enough for the championship in 2003, as Ferrari did, when they had their big chance and the BMW relationship went down the pan. I'm not surprised that Raikkonen pulled straight out of talks with them and they're stuck with two distinctly average paying drivers.

The end cannot be far away.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im gonna put the argument, is this team getting its self readied for take over by the teams its supplying tech to in LMP1 and GT racing.

Is this the team that VW Porsche will buy into as the facilities are more or less there, all they need is money. Its probably a cheaper buy out than say Toro Rosso (Who they have looked at) and Hispania (Who they have also looked at) as STR have had investment over the past 18 months their core value is higher as they have had a decent points haul over the past 3 to 5 years. Hispania would need a re-location and severe investment in infrustructure, thus costing budget.

I can see a VW Porsche Group power plant in a Williams in 2016 to 2018 sometime. Id recon that they will come in an engine manufacturer first (Like Renault at present) and then take over WIlliams about 2 to 3 years later.

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

axle
axle

Blew it with BMW? Hardly, he didn't sellout - his team his choice. Blowing it is a matter of perspective, it's not like the bought out Sauber are better off.

As for MX blasting his continuation in the team...who the hell are you to decide what's right or wrong for his team. It's been evident that both he and Patrick have been starting to move away from the day-to-day. But Frank is still a figure head, and they are powerful not from a decision making perspective but from a team galvanising one.

If anyone watched the Mega Factories: Williams F1 edition on Nat Geo, you'd see that decisions on which new parts are deemed a good step forward don't go near him. The design team handle it all. Team Principle is a figurehead, someone to help the you management team through decision making but not the finite details about the cars.

There is no reason why he can't be Team Principle until the day he dies as he's relinquished all day to day control (he did that with Alex Burns and Alan Parr's appointments).

I .. hate it when keyboard warriors think they can just blaze away about someone like Frank or Patrick, passing judgement with NO CONCEPT of the facts.

Williams GPE run on a small budget (compared to most) and remain ultimately competitive despite it.

Hopefully Clare will be able to bring more cash to the table, though WHP looks to be a real boon to their coffers now the tech is maturing.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 06 Mar 2012, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed foul language.
- Axle

joseff

Not sure how much money WHP is making... cars: there's the Porsche GT3 Hybrid, 918 RSR, Jaguar, and now Audi. Their website gives me the impression that they're going after the wind power industry. But that's not happening anytime soon, now that natural gas is becoming very cheap.

Well, here's hoping that Audi/Le Mans deal gets enough attention to get them new customers, although I'm rooting for Alex Wurz :D

raymondu999

Something just interesting and somewhat relevant.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-N7xkQds8[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Axle, I have ever single right to share my opinion about any team and it should be clear that I didn't blast anyone. Please be mature and know that I shared my opinion about the management at Williams with a clear and respectful approach.

I haven't changed my mind when it comes to that point of view that Williams should step aside completely though, as his presence is probably hindering the operation as a whole.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Williams actions contra Brawn GP in 2009 was despicable. Also against Sauber in 2010.

They vetoed a plan for a rescue package money to both teams in their hours of crisis.
All for the short term gain. Left a very, very unsavoury taste in my mouth.
History they may have, but such actions tarnish that history IMO.
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Williams actions contra Brawn GP in 2009 was despicable. Also against Sauber in 2010.

They vetoed a plan for a rescue package money to both teams in their hours of crisis.
All for the short term gain. Left a very, very unsavoury taste in my mouth.
History they may have, but such actions tarnish that history IMO.
Williams repeatedly selling out to MrE for the same reason, short term gain, earned him no respect either.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

lebesset
lebesset

I confidently expect williams to be comfortably in the midfield this year rather than in constant danger of going out in Q1 as in 2011...even allowing for their driving team

from the beginning of the jerez tests it seemed that the renault engines were easier to adapt to the new blowing regulations than the others , the engine note was quite distinctive and the corner exit seemed to benefit from whatever downforce the new exhausts produced

funnily enough the team that didn't look to have benefitted is RBR ...presumably because they were the team that found the sweet spot last year , and are not quite getting 100% yet

but lotus look to have made a leap forward to equal , or even surpass , the improved mercedes..... williams as already stated , caterham advanced to get on the tail of the midfield

whether frank anticipated this side benefit of a change to renault , or just lucked into it I have not the slightest idea

someone once said that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ; hopefully this is such a step for the williams team
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

lebesset
lebesset

to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

zoro_f1

Re: Williams FW34 Renault

i am wondering for how long Santander is a sponsor of Bruno Senna :?:

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

raymondu999

Is it also on Malders' uniform?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

zoro_f1

nope...it's just on senna's helmet.

raymondu999 wrote:Is it also on Malders' uniform?
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]