Scuderia Ferrari 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
raymondu999

Re: Ferrari F2012

Really? I've always heard that Brazil is a unique circuit in that changing wing levels (within the boundaries of reason, of course) produce insignificant laptime changes as the increased traction/braking/pace through S2 will just about balance out the lack of terminal/acceleration (due to drag).

Source: http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... rand-prix/
Interlagos is the least sensitive circuit on the calendar to wing settings – you can do very similar lap times with high or low wing levels, and although the Red Bull trails the McLaren's speed by the time they are at the end of the straights, it will be entering them faster and Red Bull will be looking to have pitched its wing levels and gearing to keep as much of its infield performance as possible whilst not leaving its drivers as sitting ducks on the straights.

The end-of-straight speeds therefore don't tell the full story and you need to visualise where each car would be relative to the other with one entering the straight faster, the other going faster at the end. The crucial thing is when – or even if – on the straight the McLaren catches the Red Bull. Obviously for both teams there's an element of assumption about what the other is doing when they make these choices.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2012

Pat Fry has said the 2013 car will retain the front pull rod suspension. He also said he regrets not developing DDRS & that the 2013 car will be an evolution of the F2012.

Joie de vivre

The DDRS RedBulls uses ain't that complicated to copy. This mistake can cost them championship.

raymondu999

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Pat Fry has said the 2013 car will retain the front pull rod suspension. He also said he regrets not developing DDRS & that the 2013 car will be an evolution of the F2012.
If we are to believe Gary Anderson's words that the problem in qualifying is the diffuser stall during DRS - would it really be a bad thing?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

banibhusan

Re: Ferrari F2012

raymondu999 wrote:Really? I've always heard that Brazil is a unique circuit in that changing wing levels (within the boundaries of reason, of course) produce insignificant laptime changes as the increased traction/braking/pace through S2 will just about balance out the lack of terminal/acceleration (due to drag).
I agree with the article. There are two different set-up philosophies followed by Ferrari and RBR. And my understanding is that whatever time the Ferrari will gain in S1 and S3 on the RB because of higher top end speed, approx same amount of time can be regained by the RB in S2.

Intego

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Pat Fry has said the 2013 car will retain the front pull rod suspension. He also said he regrets not developing DDRS & that the 2013 car will be an evolution of the F2012.
May I ask where did he say that and did he mean DDRS or DRD.
Sorry for seeming nitpicky, it's just interest. O:)
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Kiril Varbanov

raymondu999 wrote:
If we are to believe Gary Anderson's words that the problem in qualifying is the diffuser stall during DRS - would it really be a bad thing?
Let's say we take what Gary Anderson says as true. Absolutely no disrespect to him - he was an F1 designer, I was not, though I admit I'm a bit younger and I still have my chance :)

What he's saying is that during RFA period (Rear Flap Activator) the air doesn't reattach back to the rear wing, this lowers the downforce, respectively and stalls the diffuser. What that means is that large chunk of rear downforce is lost - both through the wing and subsequently through diffuser.

We know from Katz that the diffuser itself can have many setup and permutations to create donwforce, in F1 these device are rather limited and restricted in sizes - 12.5 cm height, 100 cm width and 35 cm length. Its kick angle is very aggressive, so that it creates swift expand area and thus create a sudden pressure drop. We also know that diffuser can work really well in conjunction with the rear wing, which is "driving" it. So, in that regard, what G. Anderson is saying absolutely makes sense, but what I can't understand are the specifics of the rear wind and the DRS flap - why would that be a problem and where, exactly?
A while ago I have made a comparison between different teams' DRS positions, here's the original post.

One of the reasons for non-reattached airflow could be simple Kutta condition. The only way to understand this would be to have a look at the rear wing's various measurements, such as wind tunnel plume or CFD - smile here, you can guess why.

Other possibility would be extreme pitch sensitivity, which is rather unlikely during the race where you enable DRS on the straights, and presumably the cars are running on a flat field, whereas in qualifying that's rather possible, as DRS is activated in various places. The effect of pitch sensitive car will, IMHO, disturb the freestream flow that would otherwise feed the DRS compartment.

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Huntresa

Ferrari doing another mess with massa gearbox?

Lurk

Don't think so. Not on a Brazilian in Brazil.
Massa even told an italian TV that if Ferrari found a broken gearbox, he'll race with a broken gearbox.

Crucial_Xtreme

Hell of a save from Fernando today..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg55Iz0qgcQ[/youtube]

Hail22

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Hell of a save from Fernando today..

[youtube]http://ww[/youtube]
Our dear friends from Greece got a little excited! :lol:
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

donskar

I guess this is the place to ask for opinions: what will happen to this year's tech team?

No significant change
Domenicali replaced
Fry replaced
No major figures replaced but key additions made
Other ideas?

Personally, I think a "big name" will be axed.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

stefan_

Heads need to roll down from Maranello and I don't think it should be Fry.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Mr.G

Well session is ower, thanks Alonso, thanks Fry! Thanks whole Ferrari team! Next year we will be even better!
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts