Vodafone McLaren Team 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ianwit

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Whilst we wait for comment from Lewis on his two days at Barca it looks like Jenson is already confident before he gets in the car tomorrow.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... um=twitter
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

fsliv

Shrieker wrote:Seems just about right 8)

Back on topic:

Whitmarsh said before the launch that they weren't afraid to take risks with the Mp4-27, but looking at the car (after what - 6 days ?) on the track, it seems to be a very conventional and safe design. I fear that might not be the recipe to challenge the bulls consistently.

What do you guys think ?

Honestly I think Macca is most concerned with establishing a solid baseline of which to build upon. They just don't want to be on the back foot like they have for the past two years. Macca have a very solid development pace, thus if the 2012 season turns out to be a race of development that could work for us.

KeiKo403

Didn't Whitmarsh say in a post launch interview that the launch car was all but plastic and that come the 3rd pre season test (next week) that they're will be a raft of upgrades?

I'll see if i can find the source, i know we're liked to prove ourselves on here.

All in all though can I just add that the McLaren is by far the best looking car on the grid this year. Unless HRT or Marussia beat them :o :lol:

proxomos

The mclaren is STILL in LAUNCH SPEC and according to Ted Kravitz there will be a raft of upgrades at the next test, this could add up to half a second possibly more a lap.

Therefore one should not get excited about lap times, last test will probably show a rough pecking order, although I dare say no one will put the cards on the table until qualy 1 in melbourne.

Pup
Pup

Button...
there will definitely be something new for Melbourne. We have an update on the car for the first race. It is not a completely straightforward update as it is not about bolting downforce on the car – it is slightly more than that.
So now we can spend the next month parsing that little gem. :wink:

Pup wrote:Button...
there will definitely be something new for Melbourne. We have an update on the car for the first race. It is not a completely straightforward update as it is not about bolting downforce on the car – it is slightly more than that.
So now we can spend the next month parsing that little gem. :wink:
I hope it's not a fugly nose. If it is, I can't see them going racing with it unless it's at the next test....

....mind you, if there's anything "not completely straightforward" you'd expect they'd bring it to the final test so long as it's not held up in production...

Pup
Pup

avatar wrote:I hope it's not a fugly nose. If it is, I can't see them going racing with it unless it's at the next test....

....mind you, if there's anything "not completely straightforward" you'd expect they'd bring it to the final test so long as it's not held up in production...
And they might. But it won't be a stepped nose - that train has left the station. But surely this is why the McLaren boys seem upbeat, since the current car seems competitive and they also know they have a big step coming. Hamilton is smiling too much.

ernest

Obviously the hackers have already found a way round the Norton anti 'argumentative troll virus' software with an even more pernicious bug.
Any chance we could get an update on our protection level so other people can have a chance to talk about interesting features, aspects of the car etc, you know like they used to before this became one or two peoples private debating competition. [-o<

Richard

ernest wrote:Obviously the hackers have already found a way round the Norton anti 'argumentative troll virus' software with an even more pernicious bug.
Any chance we could get an update on our protection level so other people can have a chance to talk about interesting features, aspects of the car etc, you know like they used to before this became one or two peoples private debating competition. [-o<
Done!

Mr.S

Whitemarsh runs his mouth. Says they are better on faster corners than RBR but worse in slower corners. DUDE sounds confident.

I still find it hard to believe that they can BE SO SURE on the basis of testing that they are SURELY quicker in fast corners. Mclaren sound confident though.

Javert

Faster on fast corners and slower in slow ones, than RB?

Actually, is more important to be fast in the slow ones (tracks like Monaco, Singapore, Hungaroring, Nurburgring, Canada, Abu Dhabi, China (maybe))
than in the fast (tracks like Malesya, Spain, SPA, India)

Project misfortune? They aimed with their low chassis to have a better mechanical grip on tires, instead they seem to have better aero grip :mrgreen:
Last edited by Javert on 28 Feb 2012, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob

Javert wrote:Faster on fast corners and slower in slow ones, than RB?

Actually, is more important to be fast in the slow ones (tracks like Monaco, Singapore, Hungaroring, Nurburgring, Canada, Abu Dhabi, China (maybe))
Is it? Last year the RB7 was faster than the MP4-26 in fast corners, but slower than it in slow ones.

Javert

beelsebob wrote:

Is it? Last year the RB7 was faster than the MP4-26 in fast corners, but slower than it in slow ones.
RB7 was clearly superior as chassis, tyre management, overall grip, weight distribution ...

MP4-26 have had some tricks, and the most efficient exhaust system, this led them to win some races but their handicappated chassis (U-pods and high gearbox) finally costed them the title.

If two cars are of the same quality, the best in slow corners wins

Coefficient

beelsebob wrote:

What we could actually be discussing here is the result of converging performance due to relative rule stability so the net performance difference between the 2 cars could be quite small. I believe Mclaren are only modestly behind Red Bull currently and could mount a better challenge this year. I just hope there are 2 or 3 other teams in the mix too!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Boost

Javert wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

RB7 was clearly superior as chassis, tyre management, overall grip, weight distribution ...

MP4-26 have had some tricks, and the most efficient exhaust system, this led them to win some races but their handicappated chassis (U-pods and high gearbox) finally costed them the title.

If two cars are of the same quality, the best in slow corners wins
How did the RBR manage a superior weight distribution to the McL when that is mandated by the rules?