Vodafone McLaren Team 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KeiKo403

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

KingHamilton wrote:"Jenson Button mentioned at the last test that McLaren would have a major upgrade prior to the first race, and they will be adding new parts to the car throughout this test. McLaren tell us the focus for the first two days is race simulation work, while the final two days 'will be more exclusively devoted to learning about the new upgrades'."

This will answer people`s queries on McLaren upgrades.
So they're leaving theirselves 2 days to learn about the raft of upgrades....here's hoping that they work ok. [-o<

Trocola

KingHamilton wrote:"Jenson Button mentioned at the last test that McLaren would have a major upgrade prior to the first race, and they will be adding new parts to the car throughout this test. McLaren tell us the focus for the first two days is race simulation work, while the final two days 'will be more exclusively devoted to learning about the new upgrades'."

I don't think they are doing a race simulation today. Button managed only 56 laps today. The GP is 66.

Trocola

beelsebob

Trocola wrote:

I don't think they are doing a race simulation today. Button managed only 56 laps today. The GP is 66.
Last I checked there was plenty of running left in the day... But you're right, McLaren do seem to be a bit behind on a race sim today... Looks more like work on trying to get tyres to last to me.

the EDGE

So...the new Aero package comes out tomorrow, cant wait

http://www.mclaren.com/page/test-report ... march-2012

“Our car feels better set-up wise, we still haven’t added the new aero package – so I think we’ll get a better picture of what the car will be like in Australia over the next two days. But I definitely feel like we have a competitive car." -LEWIS HAMILTON

beelsebob

So do we have photos of the McLaren today? Have they moved to their B spec, or are they still running the same car (roughly)?

the EDGE

beelsebob wrote:So do we have photos of the McLaren today? Have they moved to their B spec, or are they still running the same car (roughly)?
From the amount of running Buttons doing this morning and the lack of talk of visible updates I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the upgrade is mechanical

That would also fit with Buttons comments that its not just about bolting down-force on the car. After all, they already have an exhaust solution

Javert

Given this (sad) morning, we can say McL simply lacks money for competing with Bulls.

Barely any new part since launch, except the snow plough gone

Happy to have my mouth shut this afternoon or tomorrow :mrgreen:

KeiKo403

Javert wrote:Given this (sad) morning, we can say McL simply lacks money for competing with Bulls.

Just because you can't see any upgrades doesn't mean they're not there.

murtoidf1

KeiKo403 wrote:
Javert wrote:Given this (sad) morning, we can say McL simply lacks money for competing with Bulls.

Just because you can't see any upgrades doesn't mean they're not there.
I think we've been spoilt by last year, when McLaren tested a different exhaust solution every half an hour. IF anything this subtle approach means they're in a better place then last year - or they've given up :lol:

raymondu999

SiLo wrote:Looks like they have removed the snow plough and gone for turning vanes under the tub. Interesting.
The -26 and pre-ebd -25 had the sharpest turn-in of the grid in the last two years. Would be very interesting to see how this affects that.

Also; changing to vanes would kind of be in line with increasing the airflow under the nose no? In which case if they wanted more they'd do a stepped nose... I wonder if they've actually gone the wrong way on the nose regulations. Being a McLaren-head since 1994 I sincerely hope they haven't.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

speeder89

I'm curious about today's updates.
Last edited by speeder89 on 03 Mar 2012, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

ianwit

raymondu999 wrote:
SiLo wrote:Looks like they have removed the snow plough and gone for turning vanes under the tub. Interesting.
The -26 and pre-ebd -25 had the sharpest turn-in of the grid in the last two years. Would be very interesting to see how this affects that.

Also; changing to vanes would kind of be in line with increasing the airflow under the nose no? In which case if they wanted more they'd do a stepped nose... I wonder if they've actually gone the wrong way on the nose regulations. Being a McLaren-head since 1994 I sincerely hope they haven't.
Get a grip, it's testing and the low nose improves mechanical grip and turn in.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

murtoidf1

ianwit wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:

Is speculation not allowed?

If they are removing the snow ploug I can only think that either they're testing a component further down the car which they want a neutral air flow to, or they're doing a b2b test, or they may indeed want more uninterrupted airflow to the back of the car - which would be a U-turn to their current nose style.

Shakeman

To my eyes the McLaren exhaust solution looks far more elegant to the RB bridges and tunnels and if it is working for them in the way they expected with only minor tweaking that's a positive.

ianwit

murtoidf1 wrote:
ianwit wrote:
raymondu999 wrote: The -26 and pre-ebd -25 had the sharpest turn-in of the grid in the last two years. Would be very interesting to see how this affects that.

Is speculation not allowed?

If they are removing the snow ploug I can only think that either they're testing a component further down the car which they want a neutral air flow to, or they're doing a b2b test, or they may indeed want more uninterrupted airflow to the back of the car - which would be a U-turn to their current nose style.
Precicesly, they know what they are doing, even if it looks like a backward step it still has to be tested, nothing to worry about :D
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.