Lotus F1 Team 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2012

Sorry it seems I was totally 'politically correct' with my last post

From what I have seen from the last few Grand Prix about the Lotus' speed and what Lotus are bringing update wise to the next few Grand Prix, the 'DRS+' should be extremely effective at Spa and Monza which makes me belive they have a great chance to be 2012 world constructors champions, unless all 9 of the next rounds will have a track temp lower than 20C which I highly doubt.

If someone wishs to move this post- have a word with me first
Just a fan's point of view

beelsebob

CjC wrote:Sorry it seems I was totally 'politically correct' with my last post

From what I have seen from the last few Grand Prix about the Lotus' speed and what Lotus are bringing update wise to the next few Grand Prix, the 'DRS+' should be extremely effective at Spa and Monza which makes me belive they have a great chance to be 2012 world constructors champions, unless all 9 of the next rounds will have a track temp lower than 20C which I highly doubt.

It wouldn't take less than 20°C – at 30°C they consistently finish around 4th to 5th. 20°C tends to put them around 8th.

CjC
CjC

beelsebob wrote:

It wouldn't take less than 20°C – at 30°C they consistently finish around 4th to 5th. 20°C tends to put them around 8th.
That'll do for me. So you reckon that they are only a race winning threat when the track temps are highter than 40C?
Just a fan's point of view

beelsebob

CjC wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

That'll do for me. So you reckon that they are only a race winning threat when the track temps are highter than 40C?
That's what the stats so far show, yes... They've threatened for the win at exactly 3 places – Valencia, Bahrain, and Hungary, all were 40-45°C track temps.

erikejw

I beleive Lotus will improve in lowtemps and the others in high temps so
I think Lotus will be able to challenge when it is colder too. Not rain though as it seems.

All teams get better on tyres and how to turn them on.

When it comes to strategy they have been very passive and and took the safest route.
With the Chine debacle they favoured good points but in the end lost out to it.

They went more agressive the last races though so they will improve that part too.
Now they know who they race and which teams.

Kimi seems to understand the tyres too now.
Gro was earlier with that, maybe thanks to GP2 and 2 full test days extra in season.

If they get the DDRS or passive DRS to work at all with some tenths gain they will be a threat.
If Gro can keep it together WCC seems as a long shot. 2nd definately up for grabs.

Alonso seems to consistent with Massa used as a roadblock will be hard to beat for any driver.

stefan_

I discovered where they found the inspiration for the new airbox side air intakes.

:)
This break is too long.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102202
When asked about the chances of the former Virgin racer being given his opportunity, Boullier said: "Very high.

"There are many drivers around who are looking for a drive. We will consider first Jerome, who is our third driver. He has most of the chance to drive the car.

"But I need to sit down with him. I need to do a couple of things and then we will see."

Other contenders with race experience who are available are Adrian Sutil, Jaime Alguersuari and Rubens Barrichello.
I thought that it is going to be a no-brainer decision about who is going to replace Romain in Italy. If they put someone else than Jerome in the seat, why do they have Jerome as a 3rd driver? It would be kind of a crappy attitude towards him.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

ESPImperium

stefan_ wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102202
When asked about the chances of the former Virgin racer being given his opportunity, Boullier said: "Very high.

"There are many drivers around who are looking for a drive. We will consider first Jerome, who is our third driver. He has most of the chance to drive the car.

"But I need to sit down with him. I need to do a couple of things and then we will see."

Other contenders with race experience who are available are Adrian Sutil, Jaime Alguersuari and Rubens Barrichello.
I thought that it is going to be a no-brainer decision about who is going to replace Romain in Italy. If they put someone else than Jerome in the seat, why do they have Jerome as a 3rd driver? It would be kind of a crappy attitude towards him.
Jerome deserves his chance, he gave over his dat at the last pre season test to Romain as to give him seat time in the car, he has also done one day in the test at Monza as well. He has been at every meeting and been at Einstone every day required to get their new simulator validated. He is the number one choice for me. It would also send a strong message to others that opted for commentary jobs and Pirelli jobs that opting for a 3rd seat is the way to go as it looks as if the FIA are going to start going after driving standards and even if they get 2 races a year due to suspensions, those are the opportunities that when they come along they should take and take with an open attitude.

Yes it would be nice to see what Adrian and Jamie are able to do in this car, but its a car and steering wheel that are foreign to them, but i think Adrian is floating around Force India for a 2013 seat; as for Jamie, it would be nice to see him in something, but i was never too convinced about him when he came into F1. Rubens would be nice, but thats a token gesture for me.

Id like to see Lotus go chase custard for Monza.

zyphro

stefan_ wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102202

I agree - it's only fair. Contractually speaking, he should be given the spot: else what's the point in him being there?

MarkedOne8

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Jerome is not the worst F1 driver, but I don't expect more than low Q2 from him.Although he can score 1-2 points, they are far from important.Lotus can't fight for WCC with one and a half drivers.In terms of WCC, it's much more important to test that device and make it 100% ready for Singapore.That will surely help Grosjean to score more than these extra 1-2 points just in Singapore.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

turbof1

MarkedOne8 wrote: Jerome is not the worst F1 driver, but I don't expect more than low Q2 from him.Although he can score 1-2 points, they are far from important.Lotus can't fight for WCC with one and a half drivers.In terms of WCC, it's much more important to test that device and make it 100% ready for Singapore.That will surely help Grosjean to score more than these extra 1-2 points just in Singapore.
The question is if jerome is willing to compromise: This the perfect time to show himself; as a driver you'll want to best set up possible for your car, not just a prototype test car. I agree though that they could atleast put it on the car at friday practice, but after that he should have the optimal set up.
Also don't forget: the TV earnings are distributed partly based in the standing in the WCC; Lotus is in a close battle with McLaren for second place. The difference in earnings between second and thirth can be expected to be huge, so actually every point does count!
#AeroFrodo

MarkedOne8

For example, Raikkonen's E20 would kill Vettel's RB8 on straights, but will still be able to hold off RB8 in S2 and S3.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

AnthonyG

MarkedOne8 wrote: Jerome is not the worst F1 driver, but I don't expect more than low Q2 from him.Although he can score 1-2 points, they are far from important.Lotus can't fight for WCC with one and a half drivers.In terms of WCC, it's much more important to test that device and make it 100% ready for Singapore.That will surely help Grosjean to score more than these extra 1-2 points just in Singapore.
I don't know what to expect from him, but I think Jerome is close to Kubica's level.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

stefan_

You can't tell what Jerome can do after he made only one full season at Virgin. Clearly he is not the best driver that can take that seat at Monza, but Lotus has nothing to lose if they put him there. There is no reason in bringing names like Sutil, Barrichello or Alguersuari for one race. They have their 3rd driver and this is the opportunity to use and evaluate him.

I think that if they don't use "the device" in the next race it is probably a useless investment of time & money (apart from the case in wich they already know - and eventually they have something written from the FIA - that it avoids the DDRS-ban rules of next year).

RB7ate9

stefan_ wrote: I think that if they don't use "the device" in the next race it is probably a useless investment of time & money (apart from the case in wich they already know - and eventually they have something written from the FIA - that it avoids the DDRS-ban rules of next year).
I concur.

If Monza is going to be a thrown race in terms of the second car - and there is no way the reserve driver can be asked to put the lotus in the same area as the top-tier teams - then testing as many bits as they can is essential. Taking the free practices to essentially be in-season testing for assorted components to be used in the rest of the season (i.e. "the device") is the best avenue to take what advantage they can from Grosjean's race ban.