Sauber 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
lillschumi

Sauber 2012

Sauber has a fullsize with rollig track (payed by BMW), they can actually place 2 cars on a row to simulate wakes etc.

edit:
looked at youtube now, seems it wasn´t full size

marcush.

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

sauber is so impressive in the past two years..very good work indeed since BMW left ..

SRK
SRK

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

lillschumi wrote:Sauber has a fullsize with rollig track (payed by BMW)
No, payed by Peter Sauber in 2003/04.

Huntresa

SRK wrote:
Yeah Sauber FTW:D

wesley123

SRK wrote:
I believe that is incorrect. Sauber indeed invested in a windtunnel then, not having a windtunnel before that. However, I belive that windtunnel eventually was upgraded by BMW to top-notch specifications
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.

wesley123 wrote:
SRK wrote:
I believe that is incorrect. Sauber indeed invested in a windtunnel then, not having a windtunnel before that. However, I belive that windtunnel eventually was upgraded by BMW to top-notch specifications

maybe it was updated a bit recently .but the investment by BMW was CFD calculation power -Albert- that BMW invested into.Albert sits in the same building ..
sorry for corrupting the thread ...
please move tunnel babble to tunnel thread ,mods... :wtf:

SRK
SRK

16 December 2003
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/1675 ... el-photos/
Sauber have invested roughly 70 million Swiss francs (US$ 55m) in this project, marking the largest ever in the company's history (...) With a 15-square-metre cross-section and a particularly long Rolling Road, the test section is unusually large, allowing even road cars up to the size of vans to be measured. In most cases, Sauber's engineers will be working with 60% scale models, however, certain measurements will be made on full-size Formula 1 cars, as well. As an absolute novelty, the test section includes the possibility of performing tandem tests of 60% scale models to simulate air turbulences and slipstream conditions.
In 2003 my cousin worked in polish company (Energomontaż-Południe SA/ZRE Katowice) which created the entire steel structure of the tunnel. Tunnel was amazing from the start for potential investors (primarily Volkswagen, which has worked in Sauber factory on audi Le Mans project) and wasn't upgraded by BMW. Is still the best.

wunderkind

marcush. wrote:sauber is so impressive in the past two years..very good work indeed since BMW left ..
How were the past two years impressive? Sauber really hasn't done much at all.

BTW, I have been a Sauber fan ever since the prototype/sportscar days of the late 1980's.

marcush.

wunderkind wrote:
marcush. wrote:sauber is so impressive in the past two years..very good work indeed since BMW left ..
How were the past two years impressive? Sauber really hasn't done much at all.

BTW, I have been a Sauber fan ever since the prototype/sportscar days of the late 1980's.
Sauber stepped in when BMW almost managed the team to go down the drain .They left leaving behind :
a car that did not work
a team without direction but in need to restructure and slim down
basically no sponsors
no engine

challenging for podiums and being a genuine frontrunner now is outstanding considering the true objective was to just survive.

PhantomPoster

Re: Sauber 2012

SRK, are you suggesting that Audi LMP use the Sauber factory?? Sounds like you have inside information?

auto saibot

i don't see a single podium in early season as a genuine podium or front place challenging performance...

Robbobnob

^^ what utter nonsense

A podium is a podium, stop belittling a hard fought achievement. Every single man and woman in the Sauber team thoroughly deserved that result, and you have the audacity to discredit them. Shame on you and any nay sayers who agree with you.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

marcush.

notwithstanding that it is owed to Perez not delivering that it was not a win.The car was clearly miles ahead in speed .
But I acknowledge that perez is one fine driver and considering he is ensuring the survival of the team he has done a super job to bag all these points in only his second year in f1 already.back to the car.

SRK
SRK

Re: Sauber 2012

This is not a mystery. Peter Sauber talked about this in interviews a few years ago before BMW era. Audi rented part of the r&d department in Hinwil- for example seven post test rig.

wunderkind

Credit to Peter Sauber and his team for picking up the pieces after being unceremoniously dumped by BMW, and losing Petronas as its title sponsor.

But they really haven't achieved much on the race track apart from the 2nd place by Perez a couple of races ago. But they just don't seem like they can become a regular podium contender any time soon.

I for one don't want to see the Sauber Team just there to make up the numbers.