CaterhamF1 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
N12ck

Re: Caterham T129 Renault

I can seriously see them in the midfield next year, challenging for points :)
Budding F1 Engineer

Mandrake
Mandrake

I do not see them fight for points yet. Sauber have had an upturn towards the end of the season (occasionally) and FI are stronger than before despite having lost some key personnel.

If Williams do not mess up their car massively again I do not see them challenging for points yet. They'll be closer, possibly regular Q2 candidates but that's about it I'm afraid.

dren

I see Sauber being strong early on but fall back as the season unfolds. FI usually does the opposite. Caterham will likely break into Q2 next year, but I don't see them challenge for points either. I think it is likely they will earn a point or two though. A lot of that teeters on how competitve Williams will be next year.
Honda!

blokkie
blokkie

McLaren aero head joins Lotus

Lotus have confirmed that leading aerodynamicist John Iley is to become the team’s performance director. Iley joins from McLaren where he was head of aerodynamics and will start work with Tony Fernandes’ squad - to be known as Caterham next season - in June 2012.

source : http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 12879.html

Sounds like a good signing as he previously worked with Mike Gascoyne

scuderiafan

N12ck wrote:I can seriously see them in the midfield next year, challenging for points :)
That's what everyone said last year. I can see them scoring maybe 1 point here or there, but they'll still finish 10th in the WCC.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

I would define "midfield", including "back of the midfield", as being able to score a point. And sincere good wishes to them on that. Since the beginning of 2010 there have been three new teams for two years and zero points scored. The first point by one of these outfits will be a true entrance into F1.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

I certainly hope that Caterham gets into the points. The whole deal with decreased budgets and other cost measures were supposed to allow lower teams to compete more effectively faster, especially with the huge glut of applications for new teams in 2009/2010. It'd be nice to see all of that pay off for this team that has had the most outspoken management of the newest teams.

I'm looking forward to comparing the Williams 2012 car and the CT-01, as Williams (scoring a total of 5 points last season) is the one to catch.

Petroltorque
Petroltorque

ESPImperium wrote:My prediction for this car is P9 in the constructors table, with 10 points on the board as well. They will be in the Williams-Toro Rosso-Sauber battles at most tracks but there will still be some tracks they still lack.

Unless they find 2 seconds in time, i think they will be in that mix. I recon they will be on target to get that 0.9 seconds they need to join the established mid feild.
Caterham have got little or no chance of achieving P9 this year. The top 8 scoring position will be monopolised by the 2 manufacturer team and leading Privateers Red Bull and MacLaren. There will be a monumental fight for the last 2 spots where I think Williams and Lotus will be to the fore.
Caterham were flattered last year by the ability to run the EBD. In addition I have never rated Mark Smith's ability as a designer. The team I would bet on to surprise would be Marussia. Finally sticking a proper aero map on a sound mechanical layout should move them forward.

awizul

MG tweets
5.30 taxi pick up for the jorney to Jerez. Heikki shaking the new car down tomorrow

Caterhamrules
Caterhamrules

Jerez T1 Driver Schedule for Caterham

Chassis (all days): CT01-#2

Tuesday 7th February: Heikki Kovalainen

Wednesday 8th February: Heikki Kovalainen

Thursday 9th February: Giedo van der Garde

Friday 10th February: Jarno Trulli

ajprice
ajprice

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97389

Heikki seems happy with the car straight out of the box, more grip, sharper steering and felt faster than the 2011 car even from the few laps yesterday with no real setup changes.

Gridlock

I've got high hopes for Mr Gascoyne and his team this year, obviously they have more budget than others but you really get the feeling there are only going to be 2 backmarker teams in 2012. Look at the unique exhaust treatment for one.

I hope Heikki's loyalty can be adequately rewarded.

Caterhamrules
Caterhamrules

New sponsor, the Russian "SIBUR"... a.k.a money from Petrov........

http://www.caterhamf1.com/news/2012/sib ... m-partnere

jordangp

Caterhamrules wrote:New sponsor, the Russian "SIBUR"... a.k.a money from Petrov........

http://www.caterhamf1.com/news/2012/sib ... m-partnere
Link here does not work.

Correct link:
http://www.caterhamf1.com/news/2012/sib ... am-partner

Testarossa2012
Testarossa2012