Who really is in charge of Red Bull Racing

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
turbof1

Who really is in charge of Red Bull Racing

With Helmut Marko making such agressive statements in the public, I wondered what function he really has in the team. So I decided to search for some info. I stumbled onto this very interesting article:

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/06/ ... it-matter/
#AeroFrodo

Jersey Tom

Re: Who really is in charge of Red Bull Racing

RBR is being run by the Illuminati
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

myurr

turbof1 wrote:With Helmut Marko making such agressive statements in the public, I wondered what function he really has in the team. So I decided to search for some info. I stumbled onto this very interesting article:

Well that does nothing to change my opinion of Marko being an arse. I've never understood people who take things so personally and hold multi-year grudges. It always seems to pointless and childish.

turbof1

myurr wrote:
turbof1 wrote:With Helmut Marko making such agressive statements in the public, I wondered what function he really has in the team. So I decided to search for some info. I stumbled onto this very interesting article:

Well that does nothing to change my opinion of Marko being an arse. I've never understood people who take things so personally and hold multi-year grudges. It always seems to pointless and childish.
I don't disagree with you. I knew he had quite some power in both Torro Rosso and Red Bull, but for me it was a shocker he actually had more to say then Horner. Him both having that much to say in F1 and being such an arse actually makes him very dangerous. He could destroy whole careers with seconds.
#AeroFrodo

astracrazy

I thought Marko was just to do with driver development. I never understand why he feels its his place to discuss to the media about team issues which is really Horners job

bhall

turbof1 wrote:[...]

He could destroy whole careers with seconds.
"For real."
- Jaime Alguersuari

turbof1

astracrazy wrote:I thought Marko was just to do with driver development. I never understand why he feels its his place to discuss to the media about team issues which is really Horners job
There is a saying, if you cant find the answer, it will always be 2 things: sex or money. He will get his share for mendlings so much into the affairs of the team.
#AeroFrodo

miguelalvesreis

turbof1 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:I thought Marko was just to do with driver development. I never understand why he feels its his place to discuss to the media about team issues which is really Horners job
There is a saying, if you cant find the answer, it will always be 2 things: sex or money. He will get his share for mendlings so much into the affairs of the team.
Is Webber really a bad luck guy? Or there is something else?!
From this story I'm biased to believe there is something more than misfortune!

Richard

errr.... do bears poop in the woods?

Marko is Dietrich Mateschitz's trusted advisor, his eyes and ears in F1. He speaks on behalf of Mateschitz. The owner's representative will always trump the hired manager, ie Horner.

So yes Horner runs the team, and the owner has the final say on strategic issues - in this case using Marko as his representative.

Its no different to the Mercedes relationship between Brackley and Stuttgart, except a large corporate firm like Merc know how to run these things smoothly with defined governance and authorities. In contrast, self made entrepreneurs tend to be a bit more dictatorial, it's their money and they'll do what they like with it.

Juzh

miguelalvesreis wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Is Webber really a bad luck guy? Or there is something else?!
From this story I'm biased to believe there is something more than misfortune!
600 people spending 250-300 million $ in order to make the fastest car they can, only to then sabotage it? Yes, sounds perfectly reasonable.

SectorOne

There´s the benefit of having one guy run for the WDC by doing that. If you have two guys at the same level they will take points of each other.
The best thing is to have one guy grab the top points, the other grab points from the rest.
So one secures first places the other 5th, 4th, 3rd, and some second places.

Rather then two guys sharing 1st and 2nd places and increasing the chances of colliding which they have done and when they did not collide it was controversy and some fairly close calls.

The bad starts, the weird strategies, the multiple DNF´s from things like wheels not properly on it seems like it´s more then coincidence sometimes.

We saw the same thing at Brawn with Barrichello. When he was near Button = terrible starts. Exactly the same pattern for Webber.
Some say he´s always had bad starts. Sure to the point of others but the recent years at Red Bull is an abnormality of bad starts.
(and bad luck, particularly this year)

If you look at his career before Red Bull it was not filled with 90% bad starts, 8% ok starts and 2% great starts.

I´m not saying he is or is not handicapped by Red Bull, just that there are a lot of "coincidences" all the time.
And that it´s beneficial for a team with the best car to not have two drivers at equal speed as history has proven time and time again.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote:The bad starts, the weird strategies, the multiple DNF´s from things like wheels not properly on it seems like it´s more then coincidence sometimes.
:lol: :lol:

The starts are Webbers self confessed fault. The RB start system isn't great and Vettel rarely gets great starts either.
“So yeah the initial starts have not been, the initial part has not been always consistent and then I think my reaction to this inconsistent is not as good as it could be. So we you go for the second lever, when you go for the KERS, when you go for the slip control, especially on the Pirellis… with the Bridgestone you could slip the tyre a little bit more and you get no penalty. With the Pirellis you can slip the tyre a little bit and you lose time.”

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/11/21/w ... wn-to-him/
The 'weird strategies' are caused by Webber not being as quick as Vettel, not being able to hang onto the tyres as long as Vettel, starting behind Vettel and then bad race starts.

The wheels falling off were a result of the race for ever faster pitstops and resulted in a grid wide change of systems. The initial wheel falling off at China was actually a result of Webber crashing into Vergne...

Alternator failure caused Vettel to retire from two races last season and KERS issues are inherent in the RB cars for years.

Huntresa

Dont need Webber for the Constructors anyways, Vettel wins that alone so :D

Morteza

Huntresa wrote:Dont need Webber for the Constructors anyways, Vettel wins that alone so :D
:lol: Exactly! He alone has more points than the second team in WCC
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SectorOne

Jonnycraig wrote:The 'weird strategies' are caused by Webber not being as quick as Vettel, not being able to hang onto the tyres as long as Vettel,
Selective memory at it´s finest. Webber is like Massa at Ferrari.
It´s naive to think Red Bull would work in a different manner from the tested blueprint of how Ferrari ran their drivers like Schumacher with cans. Barrichello and Massa can testify to that on multiple occasions.

I think the main difference is Ferrari just don´t care about the public. Doing obvious team orders when it´s illegal, break a seal of the gearbox to move up Alonso, and for Red Bull it´s tell one guy to turn down the engine and say multi 21 then let the other person get on it.
Or put him on an extra stop for no reason at all like Suzuka.

It´s a good strategy though if you want to win in the safest manner possible.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"