Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mika1
Mika1

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

astracrazy wrote:https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/420567139020324864

no mention of there title sponsor though which was rumoured to be released at the same time. You'd think they would mention this as well?
Before the Mercedes W04 launch, nobody knew Blackberry would be a new sponsor. I expect the same here.
The boss follows me on twitter.

rjsa
rjsa

Last edited by rjsa on 07 Jan 2014, 21:23, edited 3 times in total.

McG

When can we make a new McLaren Mercedes 2014 thread? After the launch?
F1 is dead.

Holm86

Honestly I never thought there was a chance that McLaren didn't have a sponsor for 2014. I don't think Telmex was going to be the main sponsor because if Telmex was ready to pay a lot of money for that sponsorship McLaren would not have thrown out Perez to gamble on a rookie.

And when Withmarsh said that they would postpone the sponsor reveal and make a bigger "happening" on the launch day I thought it made sense.

But now they are saying that the launch will be a online-only event? Now I'm starting to worry a bit. If they were going to make a big fanfare when announcing the new sponsor together with the new car, why wouldn't they revel the car underneath a wrapper at Woking in front of the press as they usually do??

KingHamilton01

im sure McLaren will reveal there sponsor on launch day, they did say this and maybe they still have to sign the deal before Launch who know's?
McLaren Mercedes

ScottB
ScottB

Joe Saward reckons it's Sony, though I disagree with him that that could lead to an orange car. Sony primary brand colours are generally greys and blacks, with the odd bits of blue and purple, but you never know I guess...

JanF1
JanF1

OK guys, this is only pure, wild speculation from a not-at-all-insider, BUT...:

There seems to be e new Batman-movie coming up in 2014... Could this be the new, mysterious title-sponsor - Warner Bros. ...?

Then suddenly also the 'just' online-presentation would make sense - imagine a fully animated movie-trailer-style clip featuring the MP4-29 online... :shock: =P~

Jan

Holm86

KingHamilton01 wrote:im sure McLaren will reveal there sponsor on launch day, they did say this and maybe they still have to sign the deal before Launch who know's?
But there is nothing fanfare'ish about an online-only event.
ScottB wrote:Joe Saward reckons it's Sony, though I disagree with him that that could lead to an orange car. Sony primary brand colours are generally greys and blacks, with the odd bits of blue and purple, but you never know I guess...
Well the newer Sony logos are generally the name Sony in black. But the old ones had an orange square in it.

If Sony is the sponsor then I cant see why they couldn't make an orange/black car.

ScottB
ScottB

Holm86 wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:im sure McLaren will reveal there sponsor on launch day, they did say this and maybe they still have to sign the deal before Launch who know's?
But there is nothing fanfare'ish about an online-only event.
ScottB wrote:Joe Saward reckons it's Sony, though I disagree with him that that could lead to an orange car. Sony primary brand colours are generally greys and blacks, with the odd bits of blue and purple, but you never know I guess...
Well the newer Sony logos are generally the name Sony in black. But the old ones had an orange square in it.

http://www.mobileapples.com/Assets/Cont ... y_logo.jpg

If Sony is the sponsor then I cant see why they couldn't make an orange/black car.
That's the Sony Computer Entertainment logo, but it's not really a prominent one in their portfolio. I'd imagine it'd be PS4 or, more likely, Xperia, both of which are blacks and blues.

the EDGE
the EDGE

I fail to see why people think it will be Sony...

Mclaren are already tied in with Microsoft through Forza 5 and the p1, it's been all over our tv screens for weeks. I can't see them doing a deal with 2 fierce competitors at the same time

ergenomic
ergenomic

I used to work at Sony, in a senior role, and up until when I left 2.5 years ago; their advertising and promotions policy forbid advertising on anything which would be damaged, dangerous or destroyed (e.g. motor racing). If you have seen any motor racing advertising involving Sony, it would have happened outside of the sanction of the head office by the local operations.

Having said that...

Sony is aligned with Honda on the automotive business, much like Panasonic is aligned with Toyota. Honda the cooler, quality & performance focused innovator matches Sony's focus! Toyota the reliable, durable, dependable and quality produces matches Panasonic.

Kaz Hirai is now running the show at Sony, he is a true innovator, leading the skunkworks team creating Playstation in the Music business... he will make changes and he may well make this change.

I for one would love to see Sony or Sony's brands on a Macca.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ergenomic wrote:I used to work at Sony, in a senior role, and up until when I left 2.5 years ago; their advertising and promotions policy forbid advertising on anything which would be damaged, dangerous or destroyed (e.g. motor racing). If you have seen any motor racing advertising involving Sony, it would have happened outside of the sanction of the head office by the local operations.

stuff doesn't wreck much harder then at nascar.

italic part: that would be copyright infringement.

oh and, porsche's can wreck too

so do NHRA dragsters

Last edited by Manoah2u on 08 Jan 2014, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ergenomic
ergenomic

Old images are just that, and would have been before the policy. As for the smaller adverts, as I said, these would have been from local operations (e.g. UK or US sales company advertising because somebody liked the sport or wanted tickets). These images are all old...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Nascar isn't local operations, it's nationwide US full-frontal exposure of a brand.

http://www.crash.net/nascar/news/85601/ ... enske.html

yes, article is as of 2002.
These images are all old...
i'll fix that for you then.

then there's the 2004 ryan newman

and 2005 nascar

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2008/scup ... rm-lms.jpg

safe to say it's hard to miss Sony's presence on these cars, am i right? aren't these cars thoroughly wrecked throught the year several times?

so according to 2,5 years before now equals medio 2011, after 2007, and between 2008 and 2011 sony jumped out for 3 years after a long history of running sponsorship on breakable things so the policy was only between 2006 and 2011?
as I said, these would have been from local operations
the porsches had a deal with Gran Turismo & Playstation of SONY for promotional purposes as a [though minor] sponsorship partnering. hardly local when engaging in race classes.

since you enjoy fresher pics; there ya go:

Gran Turismo and Playstation have returned to sponsoring Henri Pescarolo's team, but not just the 908. They're also sponsoring the Pescarolo Chassis.
that was 2009.

point is, Sony has a history of sponsoring motorsport divisions, though not as 'big' as being a 'title' sponsor [if they're at all gonna be one, it's just rumour]. And if they haven't been in 'the game' for a while, honda pulled out of f1 in 2009 and stated the haven't had interest in returning. yet they're full on track to bring an engine for 2015.

policies change and it's a matter of marketing and business. don't be surprised if toyota heads back in f1 as a engine supplier a couple years after honda, or perhaps BMW.

I see sony happening very well. It would fit very well in the profile of Mclaren. Sony Mclaren Mercedes [interim] to Sony Mclaren Honda.

I think they'll keep the chrome and the red, perhaps the red goes more orange. the cars might be orange during the car presentation. Either because of the title sponsor has not been signed yet [as mentioned could be interim and due to contractual agreements, vodafone supposedly payed 50% for the 2014 wages to pull out, so MCL does have 50% in the pocket for 2014 anyway], or because of a marketing stunt. they did that before. in 06 mclaren drove without title sponsor aswell. Mclaren ran a chrome-red livery back then with fly emirates on the red parts.
as of 2007 they had the vodafone deal. but the read was already present, possibly because of the 'classic' white-red connections with marlboro [the actual mclaren 'swoosh' is an adaptation of the marlboro logo that mclaren used to run in their f1 logo]

Sony would make a lot of sense becuase they've left their partnership with ericcson behind aiming at a more 'sole' direction in mobile applications [through Xperia].

Mcommerce is expecting for 2014 and beyond that mobile application sales will increase bt 53,3%, more than triple the 15% growth rate for retail ecommerce.
so sony will fit nicely into that profile.

but there are more options.

Barcleys Bank for example.
Or how about Orange [mobile company, used to provide Arrows if i'm not mistaken]? Has a global clientele and would be easy for having orange mclaren's. Orange Mclaren Mercedes/Honda

Still, if rumours about a Alonso to Mclaren honda partnership could be true, then a 2014 interim year with 2015 Alonso paired with Santander would be lucrative for Mclaren.

Then there's HSBC, which could return to F1 as a banking brand. Red-White mclaren combo ala Marlboro?
Gilette indeed has a big branding so it's still dozens of directios. Interestingly though, is that Honda is very near Gilette in top branding [in 2013]. So if Honda is gonna do more then just give Mclaren free engines, Mclaren might just make Honda their Title Sponsor.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 08 Jan 2014, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ergenomic
ergenomic

point is, Sony has a history of sponsoring motorsport divisions, though not as 'big' as being a 'title' sponsor [if they're at all gonna be one, it's just rumour].
You are right, that is the point. These minor (local/regional) advertising relationships are all handled at the sales company level, i.e. NHRA (drag) would be through SCE USA and the older WEGA stuff would be through something similar.

If you want to see what Sony does when it wants to advertise globally and is sanctioned by the head office you need to be referring to these:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisat ... apartners/
http://www.sponsorship.com/About-IEG/Sp ... Spons.aspx

As mentioned, there are within policy. Interestingly discovered that Sony are leaving FIFA after the South Africa World Cup
http://www.sony.net/united/fifa/
Which would free funds for another global deal which could mean F1. However as mentioned this would have to be with a change of policy as the company does not advertise in certain areas.