Lotus F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gridlock

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2013

Well Maldonado's attached budget is about 50% of a backrunner's entire budget IIRC, so that's not too likely when you add in Concorde money and existing sponsors. Finding sponsors for a team which wins GPs surely isn't impossible either.

dren

Sounds like the team has unpaid invoices and unpaid employees. They need to take care of that plus have cash flows for 2014. I don't see it happening.
Honda!

Gridlock

dren wrote:Sounds like the team has unpaid invoices and unpaid employees. They need to take care of that plus have cash flows for 2014. I don't see it happening.
Are teams allowed to enter bankruptcy? Enstone F1 (2014) Ltd?

beelsebob

Sounds extremely likely that Lotus are not going to make the grid this year.

astracrazy

Gridlock wrote:
dren wrote:Sounds like the team has unpaid invoices and unpaid employees. They need to take care of that plus have cash flows for 2014. I don't see it happening.
Any company can file for bankruptcy (obviously with reason). They won't keep there place in f1 because the team will be "gone". They can obviously come back as a different name (companies do that all the time) but they would have to apply for a place in F1 as a new team i guess

Flavio should be proud, because i think this all stems from crashgate when they lost ING - they haven't had a title sponsor since (which brings big cash). Then Renault pulled the plug. Yes Genii is on the side of the car but they own it. They can call it a sponsor but its still out there own pockets.

munudeges

Regardless of whether crashgate did or didn't happen, Renault were pulling out. Crashgate merely showed how desperate the team was to get results and keep Renault involved.

astracrazy

maybe, but ING may not of pulled out?

edit: just read they were always pulling out at the end for 2009 anyway. so my post regarding crashgate was incorrect

Neno

astracrazy wrote:maybe, but ING may not of pulled out?

edit: just read they were always pulling out at the end for 2009 anyway. so my post regarding crashgate was incorrect
ING pulled out. they had contract till 2009, but when Crashgate scandal hit the F1, they decided in light's of that not to renew contract with Renault F1, using PR excuses ""in light of the recently announced cost reduction programme".

ING was major sponsor of Renault F1 and bringed about $86 million in their last year of contract. Renault after scandal recieved bad public image so they sold the team and stayed as engine manufacturer only because Bernie didnt allow them withdraw completely from F1.

Pierce89

astracrazy wrote:
Gridlock wrote:
Any company can file for bankruptcy (obviously with reason). They won't keep there place in f1 because the team will be "gone". They can obviously come back as a different name (companies do that all the time) but they would have to apply for a place in F1 as a new team i guess

Flavio should be proud, because i think this all stems from crashgate when they lost ING - they haven't had a title sponsor since (which brings big cash). Then Renault pulled the plug. Yes Genii is on the side of the car but they own it. They can call it a sponsor but its still out there own pockets.
You can blame a lot on Flabio, but not money issues. Under his charge, Renault always did well in the points/dollar ratio. Flabio was also quite expert at wining and dining prospective sponsors.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Kiril Varbanov

More people may be driving away from Enstone: https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/418759407694934017

dren

This team is done.
Honda!

stefan_

Lotus also had a massive recruiting campaign before the end of 2013, so they probably saw this coming.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Phillyred

I feel bad mostly for Romain if this is true and could care less about the pay driver Maldonado. I can't imagine this team not securing their engine supplier while designing their car ahead of the first round of winter testing. Perhaps they can sit a year out, regroup/rebrand and secure a slot for 2015.

stefan_

And come back with Honda, as there were rumours that they want only a 1-year deal with Renault just to get on the Honda boat next year.

But then again, sitting on year would be impossible because there are ongoing sponsorship contracts that cannot be postponed and without that money someone should just pump money into the emploeyees' salaries for 1 year without getting anything in exchange.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mikeerfol

Wait, Lotus doesn't have a deal with an engine supplier for 2014?? :o