Sauber F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2013

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGLx2gPUlY[/youtube]

------------------

The team hospitality - some interesting tidbits

The team hospitality is our home base within the paddock. It's where the team eats, where we meet with team partners, host guests and media. The basic construction consists of 3 motorhomes/trailors plus a kitchen unit.

Motorhome 1 (left): 4 rooms (plus toilet)
◉ Office Chairman (upper level)
◉ Office Team Principal (upper level)
◉ Office Team Manager (lower level)
◉ Office Press/Media (lower level)

Motorhome 2 (right): 4 rooms
◉ Office Marketing (upper level)
◉ Meeting room (upper level)
◉ 2 driver rooms (lower level; each incl. toilet and shower)
◉ Guest toilet (and dishwasher section adjacent to kitchen unit)

Middle unit: Atrium with bar and catering area, stairs to 1st floor
Kitchen unit: kitchen, AC cabinet

Number of staff working in the team hospitality:
◉ A total of 12 team members have their working space in the motorhomes.
◉ A total of 9 staff to operate the unit (1 F&B manager, 3 chefs, 3 catering, 2 technical support).

Logistics:
◉ The setup takes 2 to 3 days (incl. furnishing/finishing), depending on paddock size and layout.
◉ Nine people are needed to set up the team hospitality. They leave the race track after setup and return on Sunday afternoon to dismantle the team hospitality.
◉ The middle unit is a clever construction that holds the bar as well as the floors of the upper and lower levels (atrium) which can be folded into the trailer for transport.
Towing vehicles: total of 7 vehicles
◉ 2 extendible units
◉ 1 kitchen unit
◉ 1 middle unit
◉ 3 support vehicles

Like our trucks, the team hospitality is only used for European GPs and not taken to fly-away races. At overseas race tracks, the teams use buildings/rooms provided by the race track, which can be very comforting or, as is the case at some of the 'older' tracks, may be rather narrow.

We hope this is informative and answers many of the questions you might have had.

Yours, Sauber F1 Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTvWcpQl5TU[/youtube]
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

JMN
JMN

More for the record than anything else (would've been a nice reference to have with Multi 21)

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Kiril Varbanov

I love those little insights - hopefully they will convince people that F1 isn't such a black magic.

More from Joe Saward:
Sauber has a new technical structure, following the departure of Matt Morris to McLaren. He was the second major engineer from the Swiss team to be poached in recent years, following the departure of Pierre Waché, who was snaffled by Red Bull Racing. The team has also lost James Key to Scuderia Toro Rosso. Despite this, the team continues to have a technical committee running things with Australian-Dutchman Willem Toet in charge of aerodynamics, Britain’s Ben Waterhouse looking after vehicle dynamics and a new mechanical design chief in France’s Eric Gandelin, who has been promoted from his role as the team’s head of concept design. Gandelin has been with Sauber for 11 years, starting out as a composite designer before taking on his current role in 2009. Prior to joining Sauber he spent three years as a composites engineer at Prost Grand Prix, until that organisation died in 2002.

TheRMVR

Bild is reporting that Sauber is unable to pay Hulkenbergs salary. Kaltenborn confirms that they have financial difficulties and are looking for a solution. Gazprom is rumored to be the partner they are talking to. Earlier they reported that the financial situation is why they halted development on the current car.

http://www.bild.de/sport/motorsport/sau ... .bild.html

Personally I think it would be a shame if Sauber would become a back marker, or worse go bankrupt. Especially after the year they had last season..

Huntresa
Huntresa

I dont understand how they can have fininancial problems, i thought they were stable but with no so much money.

Did they lose alot from Perez ? Cause i mean they kicked Koba cause he couldnt raise cash so...

PhantomPoster
PhantomPoster

I thought this was odd/interesting as well. It's odd how its only the foreign press reporting it. I did some googling this morning and found this:

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/motor ... y/27631243

I think it's a Swiss site, so clearly closer to home for Sauber. If any one speaks Swiss i'd be interested to see what it says properly.

PP

TheRMVR

PhantomPoster wrote:I thought this was odd/interesting as well. It's odd how its only the foreign press reporting it. I did some googling this morning and found this:

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/motor ... y/27631243

I think it's a Swiss site, so clearly closer to home for Sauber. If any one speaks Swiss i'd be interested to see what it says properly.

PP
It says Sauber is in acute need of 30 million francs (32 million dollar) or it will be the end of Sauber.
According to the article Hulkenberg hasn't received his pay as well as employees who got theirs days too late without being informed.

Instead of paying Ferrari cash for their engines they lend them their windtunnel to use.

Then they talk about the financial crisis, and how BMW leaving was a financial burden to them and how Swiss multinationals like Rolex and UBS do sponsor Formula 1 but not on the Swiss car.

One of the scenarios is that the team gets sold as a whole to the Russians. But even if they find their (Russian) sponsor, they will likely get a say in the company and things might change the character of the friendly Swiss team.

Sauber denies people not getting paid but confirms the financial difficulties.

scuderiafan

I was unaware of Sauber's financial issues. This is worrying.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

TheRMVR

More on Sauber's financial situation. Multiple sources say that sponsor Oerlikon helped Sauber out while they are sorting their financial situation out. Kimiya Sato apparently paid 250.000 dollar for the young drivers test that is coming up. Team is still in talks with wealthy Russians to find new sources of income.

Hulkenberg has terminated his contract with Sauber according to Blick. The team was unable to pay his salary and the slow car made him decide to do that. His manager is already in talks with Lotus and to a lesser extend with Ferrari.

turbof1

He did what? So if that is correct he will not be driving in Hungary?
#AeroFrodo

TheRMVR

turbof1 wrote:He did what? So if that is correct he will not be driving in Hungary?
I'm not sure what the termination means and whether its for this season or next. Or if it's true at all. I'll make sure to post it here when I know more..

TheRMVR

TheRMVR wrote:
turbof1 wrote:He did what? So if that is correct he will not be driving in Hungary?
I'm not sure what the termination means and whether its for this season or next. Or if it's true at all. I'll make sure to post it here when I know more..
http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... aign=feeds

I'm sure it will be greatly denied by anyone involved but if they really haven't been able to pay him, they are in breach of contract and he is free to leave whenever he wants... We'll see how this plays out..

Phil

Apparently Sauber stated that all employees have been payed on time, but that they are having trouble with paying supplyers (who are being patient so far in understanding their situation) and that they are working on a solution.

I don't think Hulkenberg has "terminated" anything. He was on a one-year contract. I think it's unlikely though that he will continue with Sauber after 2013. Perhaps a favorite to go to Lotus, if Kimi leaves (or whereever a seat becomes available after RedBull fills their seat)?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Huntresa
Huntresa

Do we rly know if it was a one year contract ? I mean perhaps it was more then one year but with them not being ablet pay him on time he decided to jump ship for 2014, but still drive out 2013 ofc.