Lotus F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Pup
Pup

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2014

Well, actually the rules say that the event has to be "purely" promotional. So by the book at least, they can't just take a few snapshots and then start collecting engine data. Spirits need not be invoked.

But yes, we know the rules get bent, though we don't know to what degree. Ferrari was slapped on the wrist a few years back when the teams complained, so obviously there is a limit of some sorts, even if it's a bit hazy. Personally, this seems like a stretch, but I'd be surprised if anyone protests - mainly because I think the other teams know they can't just let Renault flounder; i.e., better from a competitive standpoint to let them make a little progress and be able to race (albeit slowly), than to hinder them from improving and then see them get special dispensation from the FIA to do more updates through the season.

Holm86

iotar__ wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:So I guess I owe the Lotus team an apology. Not only did they hire off a track for their own, which I believe all in all was more costly then joining the official 4-day test, but they also got better running then any other renault-engined team. Lotus has to be thinking "guess who's laughing now?".

Good job Lotus.
Dont be too quick. Look at this article.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4779 ... _at_Jerez/
You're kidding right? Everyone knows what filming day is for, no one cares. It's a rubbish article by a joke blog/site but if they want to play:
In light of Jerez tests the very fact of running on track and announcing it is enough to consider event "promotional", thus fulfilling all spirit of the rules requirements. It's a promotion through "positive" news ;-), no need for filming or pictures. It worked, didn't it?
Did you only read the headline of that article?? I didn't post this article because it mentions Lotus breaking the rules. I posted it because of this section :
However a source, who works at Jerez and was present at the two day event, revealed that on the first day [Friday] the E22 “hardly ran at all and only emerged from the pit garage late in the day.”

On Saturday the E22 “did do around 20 laps” with either Maldonado or Romain Grosjean in the cockpit. But according to the source the E22 was “not running at testing or racing speeds [and was] actually very slow at times” on the second day, and “runs were limited to a few lap” stints at a time.
And if this is true then they didn't do that well as they want us to believe. I don't care if they broke the regulations or not. That's another discussion.

Pup
Pup

100km at Jerez would be 22 laps, so if they did one on the first day, it means they did 21 on the second.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have done more. I'd be surprised if they couldn't. After all, they're benefitting from everything that Renault learned in Jerez, plus the updates they've made since then. If Caterham was able to do 54 laps at the end of Jerez, then we know the engine is capable of at least that.

Holm86

Pup wrote:100km at Jerez would be 22 laps, so if they did one on the first day, it means they did 21 on the second.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have done more. I'd be surprised if they couldn't. After all, they're benefitting from everything that Renault learned in Jerez, plus the updates they've made since then. If Caterham was able to do 54 laps at the end of Jerez, then we know the engine is capable of at least that.
What I talk about is that the source mentions very slow lap times. And stints of only a couple of laps.

RZS10

That is around the same as some of the other teams did on the first two days of the jerez test - and they were neither going at race speed nor did they do lungruns on the first two days as well.

Jonnycraig

Holm86 wrote:
Pup wrote:100km at Jerez would be 22 laps, so if they did one on the first day, it means they did 21 on the second.

What I talk about is that the source mentions very slow lap times. And stints of only a couple of laps.
If you only have 20 laps to play with and want to try a few things then you would have to do several short runs. With regards how fast they were running, it's an initial shakedown. None of the teams at the Jerez test would've been running full blast straight out of the box.

stefan_

A few "behind the scenes" shots from the filming of "Back to school"

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_

Pastor studio photo.

Romain's 2014 helmet:
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

anzx

Pastor doesn't look bad at all in Lotus colors... :)

acosmichippo

Anyone else find it odd that PDVSA isn't on the driver overalls?

stefan_

Or that Pastor is wearing Romain's overall and cap?
(that picture I believe is photoshoped)

Blackout

Yes. Goodwill is one of Grosjean's sponsors. And that's the 2013 overall.
2014:

Holm86

Lotus will have a press conference later today. I recon they will announce Marco L. Sørensen as reservedriver.

quidam

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

What do you think about this:

http://www.racestaff.com/

:)

FrukostScones

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

quidam wrote:What do you think about this:

http://www.racestaff.com/

:)
more like :( they lost everyone! , oops it's team thread stuff sry
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.