Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
GPR-A duplicate2
167
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

Clearly, as soon as Lewis won the title, Nico's car became faster than Lewis'. Until the US GP, there was a big danger of Vettel thumping Nico and so long as Nico stays behind Lewis, there was always a danger of Vettel getting ahead in champinship. If one driver is slower than the other, the best way to make him faster, is to slow down the faster guy. After Lewis won the title, Nico was down in dumps and Mercedes needed to cheer him up. Cheer up is what they did.

How else would you sum this situation up? Now, Toto is threatening the drivers to behave to his tune. Mercedes must have recruited a good hollywood script writer, to help the jokers in the strategy team. Yeah. :)

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

GPR-A wrote:Clearly, as soon as Lewis won the title, Nico's car became faster than Lewis'. Until the US GP, there was a big danger of Vettel thumping Nico and so long as Nico stays behind Lewis, there was always a danger of Vettel getting ahead in champinship. If one driver is slower than the other, the best way to make him faster, is to slow down the faster guy. After Lewis won the title, Nico was down in dumps and Mercedes needed to cheer him up. Cheer up is what they did.
That doesn't really make sense. According to Lewis, his issues started before. At Singapore, to be precise. Also, Lewis did turn focus away from F1 after the US GP.

It's perhaps harder to accept, but the most reasonable explanation is that Nico simply outperformed Lewis in the last 3 races. Lewis made himself a bit slower. He tries to put blame at the strategy and the car, but Nico actually worked under the same parameters. Lewis did a very good and consistent season right up to the US GP, but we should also acknowledge he dipped away afterwards a bit.

He mentioned himself that he achieved his goals, and has none anymore. A person without goals and/or purpose is only half the man he can be. He'll have to contemplate on that and will have to set new ones during the winter.
#AeroFrodo

User avatar
ME4ME
173
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

GPR-A wrote:Clearly, as soon as Lewis won the title, Nico's car became faster than Lewis'.
Nico took pole in Japan and Russia, and should have won at least the latter.
Even at the US GP, Rosberg was quicker much of the weekend.

Diesel
Diesel
72
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 pm
Location: ...

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

ME4ME wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Clearly, as soon as Lewis won the title, Nico's car became faster than Lewis'.
Nico took pole in Japan and Russia, and should have won at least the latter.
Even at the US GP, Rosberg was quicker much of the weekend.
I don't see how he was "much quicker" when he was chased down and overtaken? He was pushed to his limit and made a mistake. At the last few races he was also chased down by Hamilton, but the tracks protected him to a certain extent. I would say Abu Dhabi he outperformed Hamilton on merit for sure. Nico has been quicker on occasion, but only on occasion, not as consistently as Hamilton, and the results reflect that.

Next year, Rosberg needs to capitalise on what I see as complacency starting to creep in for Hamilton. If he can hit the ground running and win the first 2-3 races, it might shake Hamilton up a bit and give Rosberg a real chance at the championship.
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
474
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

Next year I want the sh*t to hit the fan between the drivers, Lewis wins it and gets fired by Toto and then Ferrari take him up.. Lewis Vs Vettel 2017!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff ... up-change/
Not driving a Mercedes? Work harder!

User avatar
GPR-A duplicate2
167
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

Diesel wrote: Next year, Rosberg needs to capitalise on what I see as complacency starting to creep in for Hamilton. If he can hit the ground running and win the first 2-3 races, it might shake Hamilton up a bit and give Rosberg a real chance at the championship.
Isn't that what happened in 2014? Nico beating all year long in qualifying and Lewis chasing Nico in championship until Monza. Next year, it's a different car and there would be different tyre strategies due to 3 different compounds made available in race weekends. So, it would be a headache to set a car up for three different compounds. Whoever adjust to the new car and new tyres faster, it's his championship.

I am desperate to see a competitive Ferrari and McLaren (yeah long shot, but why not). I am fed up of equality crap and want to see a genuine competition between drivers, instead of pre-determined and controlled sh**.

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

GPR-A wrote:
Diesel wrote: Next year, Rosberg needs to capitalise on what I see as complacency starting to creep in for Hamilton. If he can hit the ground running and win the first 2-3 races, it might shake Hamilton up a bit and give Rosberg a real chance at the championship.
Isn't that what happened in 2014? Nico beating all year long in qualifying and Lewis chasing Nico in championship until Monza. Next year, it's a different car and there would be different tyre strategies due to 3 different compounds made available in race weekends. So, it would be a headache to set a car up for three different compounds. Whoever adjust to the new car and new tyres faster, it's his championship.

I am desperate to see a competitive Ferrari and McLaren (yeah long shot, but why not). I am fed up of equality crap and want to see a genuine competition between drivers, instead of pre-determined and controlled sh**.
Last year, Hamilton had some bad luck through mechanical failures. He did explain his weakness in qualifying that he changed this year a bit of his approach, possibly a slight tweak in driving style, which improved him enough to tople Rosberg on that front.

On the other hand, Hamilton was only able to clinch the title in the final race last year. He had to be on his toes and in top form all year long. He never showed a sign of complacency.

We should perhaps also not forget that Rosberg actually is a very, very capable driver. It might not seem that way at times, but the fact is that usually there's very little to pick between them. Rosberg is making Hamilton work hard for the victories, and when Hamilton does not work hard he gets beaten. Wolff is wrong to consider to replace one of them with a slower driver; you need that rivalry to keep both of them on their toes.
#AeroFrodo

Writinglife
Writinglife
19
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

I read that statement as "It's fine at the moment, team is good, but if it ever went Prost/Senna, we'd bin one of them"

As for Rosberg, in most other teams, he'd be a dominant driver, but his mental capability to deal with sustained pressure over the season needs work. Hamilton is very good at dealing with pressure.

Without a lot of psychological work, Rosberg isn't in a place to win the championship. Since Hamilton joined the team, he's been playing second fiddle and displayed very little aggression, even when he does, it comes across more as temper tantrums then a focused, calculating move.

dans79
dans79
249
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:Next year I want the sh*t to hit the fan between the drivers, Lewis wins it and gets fired by Toto and then Ferrari take him up.. Lewis Vs Vettel 2017!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff ... up-change/
I really don't care much for Toto, he runs his mouth more than most drivers do. Not to mention he has more than a little conflict of interest going on with managing Bottas.

If anyone got released, it would be Nico, his contract ends next year, and he has finished second to Lewis all 3 seasons they have raced together. Not to mention I'm not sure the team/Merc board would be willing to take the social & mainstream media bashing they would get if they fired Lewis. Also, if Lewis & his lawyer did a good job on his new contract (takes effect next year), it would probably be a pretty costly firing!
Writinglife wrote: Since Hamilton joined the team, he's been playing second fiddle and displayed very little aggression, even when he does, it comes across more as temper tantrums then a focused, calculating move.
Yea, it always seems reactionary, never premeditated.
161 97 92 6

dans79
dans79
249
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

And Now Mika (co-manager of Bottas) is getting in on the bandwagon. I smell something fishy.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns32639.html
161 97 92 6

User avatar
Schuttelberg
80
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:02 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:Next year I want the sh*t to hit the fan between the drivers, Lewis wins it and gets fired by Toto and then Ferrari take him up.. Lewis Vs Vettel 2017!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff ... up-change/
As great a driver as Lewis is, I just don't see him and Ferrari being a winning combination.

First things first, there is no reason for Lewis to move or Mercedes to drop Lewis as long as they are winning. I think, some of Hamilton's fans should be very grateful to Mercedes for this opportunity because Lewis' talent was being wasted at McLaren.

Secondly, Ferrari have had a splendid 2015, but that's not a sure shot mantra for future success. I'll be very surprised if Ferrari compete for the title(s) in 2016. May be 2017, but that's another set of rules and I'm 50/50 on that.

Lastly, Vettel and Hamilton is a recipe for disaster. I'm a Vettel fan and while Hamilton is more outspoken and emotional, I have no doubt Vettel can be 'disruptive' as well. It's just the nature of the beast. If there is room for only one person on the boat and there are two passengers, one has to drown and Vettel is no saint. He might not be as political as Alonso/Hamilton, but he doesn't take too kindly to losing.

Like I said on the other topic as well, Rosberg and Hamilton are one of the best pairings I've seen in F1 and Mercedes will be mad to let go. I have a very strong feeling that if they do drop Rosberg, Ferrari WILL sign him. I'm equally sure they won't sign Hamilton even if he's a free agent.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

skoop
skoop
15
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

Schuttelberg wrote: .....
i fully agree with you, but that's exactly the reason i would love to see vet/ham in the same team. that would give us some serious entertainment and drama :)
BUT i don't think they [merc] will kick any of their drivers out. maybe they'll get some promising rookie for '17, but i doubt that as well

User avatar
GPR-A duplicate2
167
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

turbof1 wrote:We should perhaps also not forget that Rosberg actually is a very, very capable driver. It might not seem that way at times, but the fact is that usually there's very little to pick between them. Rosberg is making Hamilton work hard for the victories, and when Hamilton does not work hard he gets beaten. Wolff is wrong to consider to replace one of them with a slower driver; you need that rivalry to keep both of them on their toes.
Agreed to most points. I look at one glaring difference between the two in race trim. How many times Rosberg was at Hamilton's tail for a complete race, putting pressure? We have seen Hamilton doing it almost every time when he is behind Rosberg, overtaking on tracks where opportunity is available. When Hamilton gets ahead, he disappears. Pole position, then track position and the advantage of priority pit stop is the only savior for Nico. If Pole and then lead on first lap is not available, then it is almost 100% that Nico loses the race.

ScottB
ScottB
64
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

I think for me, I go with ocams razor.

Lewis: He was on fire for much of the season on track, and living an increasingly hectic lifestyle off it. When he was presumably focused on his goal, he was able to sustain his performance, but with nothing left to shoot for this year, some of that drive may naturally have slipped, and his admitted partying will have taken its toll.

Nico: Head to head, he seems to make mistakes under pressure. A mixture of Hamilton hanging him out to dry and then winning the title in Austin seems to have fired Rosberg up, but also with no pressure, he was perhaps more mentally free to step up and beat Lewis.


Throw into the mix tyre pressure changes and car developments then I think we arrive at the answer. The big question will be what happens next year. If Lewis comes back refocused and blows Nico out the water like he did at the start of this season, that could well demoralise Nico. Alternatively if Rosberg carries his recent superiority into 2016, we'll get the interesting prospect of seeing how Lewis will respond...

User avatar
Schuttelberg
80
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:02 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

ScottB wrote:I think for me, I go with ocams razor.

Lewis: He was on fire for much of the season on track, and living an increasingly hectic lifestyle off it. When he was presumably focused on his goal, he was able to sustain his performance, but with nothing left to shoot for this year, some of that drive may naturally have slipped, and his admitted partying will have taken its toll.

Nico: Head to head, he seems to make mistakes under pressure. A mixture of Hamilton hanging him out to dry and then winning the title in Austin seems to have fired Rosberg up, but also with no pressure, he was perhaps more mentally free to step up and beat Lewis.


Throw into the mix tyre pressure changes and car developments then I think we arrive at the answer. The big question will be what happens next year. If Lewis comes back refocused and blows Nico out the water like he did at the start of this season, that could well demoralise Nico. Alternatively if Rosberg carries his recent superiority into 2016, we'll get the interesting prospect of seeing how Lewis will respond...
I'll just like to say something about this-

Hamilton has been the absolute clear better driver. I don't think I'm being informative here, but this is a fact. I see a lot of 'unnecessary bickering' against Hamilton for no rhyme or reason. Rosberg did a stellar job after Austin and he deserves his three victories. Has he turned the tables on Hamilton? I'd like to see that in 2016 when he's under the pump. It's one thing when your team mate is outright faster than you, it's quite another to buckle under the heat of the pressure. Rosberg's issue is a combination of both. It's a little bit of speed over the course of the year but critically his race craft. When he has Hamilton in the corner, he makes uncanny mistakes which lets results in his favor slip and you're simply not winning WDC like that.

I will conclude that Hamilton has been the better driver and at the same time all this talk of 'splitting strategy' or giving 'Hamilton a fair shot' is absolute rubbish. I will say one small thing- Hamilton had Rosberg absolutely shattered. Whether it was his lifestyle or lack of motivation, he's just given Rosberg a lifeline for 2016. Like the great Alain Prost said once.. 'Racing drivers mindsets determine 80% of their results.' I'm quite sure Hamilton has the speed, but he's proven more than once that he's very fragile about his own insecurities and there's no doubt Rosberg will approach 2016 rejuvenated and refreshed instead of destroyed and crushed. To put into perspective, it shows what an outstanding job Vettel did in 2013. It was domination in the best car, but it still shows that winning grand prix doesn't come by easy.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"