Sauber F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Moose
Moose
126
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Miguel wrote:It's not once you take into account teams test with only one car each. Okay, they possibly ran lighter than average in testing for sponsors, but not disgracefully so: this car is far from the disaster last year's car was.
I'm yet to be convinced of that. It's not the disaster last year's was, but I'm not sure it's far from it.

They're still going to be pooling around near the back. They just got lucky in Australia to get some points in the bag.

User avatar
GPR-A duplicate2
167
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Moose wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Did anyone, including Sauber, claimed they are going for wins or podiums? Their winter testing form was an evidence that they have moved forward and Ferrari PU has played a big part in that. That was the only fact that is being highlighted, not that they would win a championship or even gain a podium.
Yes, lots of people were getting very excited, and claiming that Sauber had a very fast car - "just look at their testing times, they're fastest or second fastest every day". The people claiming that this was just them doing advertising runs for sponsors were absolutely correct. They absolutely were running light fuel tanks to show impressive times that weren't reflective of their true position.

And yes, as Phil points out, sauber being 4th or 5th fastest may well be overly generous. When the dust settles we may yet discover that they're slower than RBR and TR, and maybe even Lotus. That would make them faster only than McLaren with big problems and Manor. That would not exactly make this an exciting move forward.
Dust settles? You mean to say that, as the season progresses and millions of dollars are spent in trying to move forward? Yes, you are right that Suaber will go backwards, because Sauber cannot afford it. With whatever they had, THEY PROVED that they have built a better car to start with. This is hypothetical, but may be, if the the RBR dollars are given to Sauber, they may just be able to make a better car than RBR, who knows. And if RBR, TR and (to lesser extent) Lotus cannot move forward, it would be a huge shame on them that they couldn't beat a team that is badly struggling for finances.

Miguel
Miguel
31
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:36 am
Location: San Sebastian (Spain)

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Moose wrote:
Miguel wrote:It's not once you take into account teams test with only one car each. Okay, they possibly ran lighter than average in testing for sponsors, but not disgracefully so: this car is far from the disaster last year's car was.
I'm yet to be convinced of that. It's not the disaster last year's was, but I'm not sure it's far from it.

They're still going to be pooling around near the back. They just got lucky in Australia to get some points in the bag.
I see your point. On the good side, Nasr was 0.1s away from Q3, and they beat both FI's.

Sepang should provide a much better comparison point. It's a more traditional car, Lotus may actually make it past the first lap, and we'll see if Renault is as bad as it was on Melbourne. If they're close-ish to Q3, it should be a reasonable season for them.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

efuloni
efuloni
11
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Marciello will drive Nasr's car during FP1.

User avatar
Phil
427
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Found this video on Youtube with some excellent stuff on Sauber, their windtunnel (and Ericsson)

Enjoy!

Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

R_Redding
R_Redding
82
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Willem Toet on Gardening leave ?... He never sounded much like a gardener.

His lecture on wind tunnels was quite superb...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC0E0wU6inU

as was his Lanchester lecture.
https://soundcloud.com/aerosociety-podc ... erodynamic

The windtunnel video is on Saubers Youtube channel and might not be there much longer.

Rob

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion
139
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 am

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Phil wrote:Found this video on Youtube with some excellent stuff on Sauber, their windtunnel (and Ericsson)

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agyBvbhKOdc
Ericsson the successor to Ronnie Peterson....

Per
Per
51
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Delft, the Netherlands

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Don't think so, Peterson was actually highly talented and quite successful.

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Well, solid race by both drivers. The battle between Ericsson and Ricciardo was great and the Swedish did a good job though he finally lost the battle.

I hope Ericsson can continue doing a fine job with making stupid mistakes like in Malaysia.

Miguel
Miguel
31
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:36 am
Location: San Sebastian (Spain)

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

It was good to see another double points finish, yes! Both cars even made it to Q3, which bodes well for tracks like Montmelo and Silverstone. I was less than impressed by their performance in Sepang, though. All in all, given the strength of the Ferrari engine and the struggles of Renault and Honda, it seems their nightmare 2014 is behind them.

So what will be Sauber's final WCC position? Will they score over 50 points? Surprisingly RBR doesn't look massively faster than them, so we could see some nice battles as long as the brake/PU/whatever issues aren't sorted by Milton Keynes' team. Between Lotus, Toro Rosso & Sauber, the midfield will be exciting. Whether RBR, McLaren and Force India solve their issues is another story...
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

User avatar
WaikeCU
71
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Servus TV reports with words by Colin Kolles that Jules Bianchi had an agreement with Sauber for 2015 prior the Japanese GP on Sunday in 2014. By offering a seat to Bianchi this season, a big chunk of the debt of that Ferrari engine contract would've been cancelled, which would bring Sauber in a financially more healthier position.

Sauber had contracted 6 drivers at a certain moment: Sutil, Gutierrez, Nasr, Ericsson, VdG and Bianchi.

Kolles also reports Kaltenborn has been doing the dirty business by selling a seat to Ferrari for Bianchi to reduce the debt on that Ferrari engine contract and selling it again to the next driver in line, which would probably be Ericsson or Nasr.

If this is true, I'm truly disgusted by this.

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Miguel wrote:It was good to see another double points finish, yes! Both cars even made it to Q3, which bodes well for tracks like Montmelo and Silverstone. I was less than impressed by their performance in Sepang, though. All in all, given the strength of the Ferrari engine and the struggles of Renault and Honda, it seems their nightmare 2014 is behind them.

So what will be Sauber's final WCC position? Will they score over 50 points? Surprisingly RBR doesn't look massively faster than them, so we could see some nice battles as long as the brake/PU/whatever issues aren't sorted by Milton Keynes' team. Between Lotus, Toro Rosso & Sauber, the midfield will be exciting. Whether RBR, McLaren and Force India solve their issues is another story...
At least they will battle with them one more race. It should be a totally different situation in Barcelona where I expect to see a great improvement from RB and Mclaren. Any other thing would be an enormous surprise.

mkable1370
mkable1370
6
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

Vasconia wrote:
Miguel wrote:It was good to see another double points finish, yes! Both cars even made it to Q3, which bodes well for tracks like Montmelo and Silverstone. I was less than impressed by their performance in Sepang, though. All in all, given the strength of the Ferrari engine and the struggles of Renault and Honda, it seems their nightmare 2014 is behind them.

So what will be Sauber's final WCC position? Will they score over 50 points? Surprisingly RBR doesn't look massively faster than them, so we could see some nice battles as long as the brake/PU/whatever issues aren't sorted by Milton Keynes' team. Between Lotus, Toro Rosso & Sauber, the midfield will be exciting. Whether RBR, McLaren and Force India solve their issues is another story...
At least they will battle with them one more race. It should be a totally different situation in Barcelona where I expect to see a great improvement from RB and Mclaren. Any other thing would be an enormous surprise.
Considering that the upcoming Ferrari PU upgrade should also be available to Sauber for the Spanish GP, Red Bull and the others may not be able to gain much if anything on them...

Image

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

But RB and Mclaren will introduce very important aero and engine updates. Sauber will introduce an engine update (if it is available for them in this race) and a smaller aero update.

User avatar
Sniffit
-1
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

Post

mkable1370 wrote: Considering that the upcoming Ferrari PU upgrade should also be available to Sauber for the Spanish GP, Red Bull and the others may not be able to gain much if anything on them...
Sauber would need to get some aero updates to stay competitive. The car is horrendously slow in the corners and unbalanced on braking.