2016 Renault Sport F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FW17

Re: 2016 Renault Sport F1 Team - Renault

iotar__ wrote: - Abiteboul - managing director

So glad that they have given him such an important job. I think he is THE most talented person in F1 right now.

EmJee

Any idea who will be their new Head of Aerodynamics? According to his LinkedIn page, Nicolas Hennel left the team. And can we assume Martin Tolliday will stay als Chief Designer?

Blackout

That matte black touch by Van der Acker changes everything and makes this show car look modern and original IMO

Biggest 'news' for me is the confiramtion that Renault sport F1 and Renault sport technologies have kinda merged and became Renault Sport Racing and will operate from both Paris and Enstone.
Many interesting changes and new people (and old people coming back)

Facts Only

It seems that Renault are definitely positioning themselves to be on top when the Mercedes powerhouse starts to wane, just as Mercedes were ready when Red Bull started to lose their dominance. Give it 3-5 years and Renault will be taking home championships, in readying for that there will be a lot of infrastructure and personal investment at Enstone.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Joseki

Facts Only wrote:It seems that Renault are definitely positioning themselves to be on top when the Mercedes powerhouse starts to wane, just as Mercedes were ready when Red Bull started to lose their dominance. Give it 3-5 years and Renault will be taking home championships, in readying for that there will be a lot of infrastructure and personal investment at Enstone.
I think now Ferrari and maybe McLaren-Honda are in a better position than Renault for the future.

Facts Only

Joseki wrote:
Facts Only wrote:It seems that Renault are definitely positioning themselves to be on top when the Mercedes powerhouse starts to wane, just as Mercedes were ready when Red Bull started to lose their dominance. Give it 3-5 years and Renault will be taking home championships, in readying for that there will be a lot of infrastructure and personal investment at Enstone.
I think now Ferrari and maybe McLaren-Honda are in a better position than Renault for the future.
Ferrari are always there or there-abouts and will always be a threat.

McLaren Honda? why would you think they are in a better position? Mclarens cars have been getting worse and the Honda engine program has been a disaster thus far. They are also too separated (by distance, culture and language) and the relationship already seems strained. I see that partnership crashing a burning.

Renault on the other hand have been winning sporadically for over 20 years, a lot of it out of the Enstone base, they know what to do and now they seem to be spending the money.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Joseki

Facts Only wrote:
Joseki wrote:

McLaren Honda? why would you think they are in a better position? Mclarens cars have been getting worse and the Honda engine program has been a disaster thus far. They are also too separated (by distance, culture and language) and the relationship already seems strained. I see that partnership crashing a burning.

Renault on the other hand have been winning sporadically for over 20 years, a lot of it out of the Enstone base, they know what to do and now they seem to be spending the money.
Because the MP4-31 was a much better car than the E23, Woking have more people and probably more prepared (we know most of the best guys at Enstone changed team in the last couple of years) and I think have better facilities.

Scuderia1967

FW17 wrote:
Scuderia1967 wrote:Speaking of sponsors, Yotaphone, Altran, Richard Mille and Saxo Bank are gone. As is, of course, PDVSA. Seems that the (alleged) 300 million budget will come almost exclusively from Renault's pocket...
300 million is over 10 years
So their annual budget is just 30 million? That's nonsense

Scuderia1967

iotar__ wrote:
Scuderia1967 wrote:Speaking of sponsors, Yotaphone, Altran, Richard Mille and Saxo Bank are gone. As is, of course, PDVSA. Seems that the (alleged) 300 million budget will come almost exclusively from Renault's pocket...
Basically but A. it's a trend in F1, see McLaren. B. It's overall marketing profit that counts like with Mercedes (despite "losses") and Red Bull (that's why they stayed), the tricky part is you need top results. Also:
- they get money for nothing from Ecclestone - this part covers more than small sponsors mentioned
- Jack&Jones = Magnussen is an evil pay driver, just like Maldonado :wink: and so is Palmer of course
- money for engines from Red Bull
- Infinity money they used to pay to RB
- more from Total

About management:
- Stoll
- Abiteboul - managing director
- Vasseur - racing director; Bell - chief technical officer
I know all that, but it doesn't counter the fact that so many companies dropped out since last year. Maybe they, like Romain Grosjean, jumped from what they saw as a sinking ship...

Manoah2u

... They could have left all this shananigans. i was hyped up for some yellow gravy and then all we got was....well....an even blacker lotus, really. especially seeing the blue-yellow formula E car there got me very curious.

so yeah, i admit, i really felt had and that kinda put me down. im happy that this is just interim though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
I was hyped up for some yellow gravy and then all we got was....well....an even blacker lotus, really. especially seeing the blue-yellow formula E car there got me very curious.

so yeah, i admit, i really felt had and that kinda put me down. im happy that this is just interim though.
They are doing the same as McLaren for the past two years, calling it an interim livery, waiting for a big sponsor to take it. If you already make it colorful and pretty, nobody will put it's name on there (let's not forget the blue/yellow/orange ING debacle)
So, just like Ron Dennis is saying for the last three years that a deal is close, expect Renault to do the same.

What is funny, that teams switched from sponsorles white to black. Black is the new black as it seems. We'll have McLaren, black with a red stripe, Renault, black with a yellow stripe and Manor with a blue stripe? At least Mercedes is gray with a green stripe.

bdr529

What's the chance you guys will show this much enthusiasm over paint colours, the next time your wives/girlfriends ask you to paint the living room ?
Men in general (95%) have no clue what colours go with what, that is why you see signs like this at the paint store

What's more important, how good the car goes or how good the car looks ?
by they way no one colour is faster then the next

stefan_

If the car can win races and championships, they can have Maldonado's face all over it as far as I'm concerned.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

langwadt

Facts Only wrote:
Joseki wrote:

yeh, Renault have powered half of the last 24 WCCs

superdowg316

So, remember that time in 2014 when Williams showed up to Jerez with a blue livery and everyone was saying there'd be little changes, then Martini was announced as a sponsor and everyone thought it would be a logo in a few places, but then it was revealed as a title sponsor and the car was decked out in Martini Strips and logos?

Just imagine that for Renault. They're showing how (relatively) bare the car looks in black, which will attract sponsors since Renault is a marquee name, THEN they'll change the livery if they snare a big sponsor. Besides, they have Infiniti branding, what's not to say that come Australia they have Infiniti on the sidepods and the car becomes a great combination of yellow, black and purple?
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.