2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
superdowg316
23
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:19 am
Location: 'Straya

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Phil wrote:
superdowg316 wrote:Here's the important thing, and I know so as I've been inside motorsports: Lap times and how many laps cars do DOES NOT MATTER. The whole point of testing is trying something until it breaks or does something you want and getting a feel. Also important is every team is different. Mercedes are going for reliability and data collecting at the moment, which is why they're going so long each day. Sure, a fast laptime here and there is good, but it means nothing. Sauber were fastest in testing last year, the year before at the same circuit during mid season testing, Mac Chilton posted the fastest laptime of the whole day/testing session. McLaren are trying different things out on the engine to see what works and what doesn't and let's be fair, for a whole new engine layout after fixing it, their distance is very impressive .
I feel you're being a bit unfair to those being skeptical. Most (me included, I admit) are not pessimistic to a degree because they had trouble on one day - it's more because there are various little signs that are all too reminiscent of last year.

I generally agree with you, we certainly shouldn't write them off. But I think looking at how testing went, I think we can agree that things aren't looking that promising - or as promising as most of us would want to see after their struggles in 2015.

If we look at Mercedes running, now that is a team that is seemingly on top of things. They've had a flawless 2014 and 2015 and this test shows a team in control. Does that mean they'll be quickest? Hardly. But at the very least, they are as efficient as they can be, getting the absolute maximum out of what they obviously set out to achieve.

Testing is very limited. Ideally, you want to gather as much data as possible, as these are one of the rare opportunities to see the 'package' and all the components you've built over winter running. Yes, it's better to have problems in testing than when the season starts, but losing an entire day sitting in the garage while your rivals are out running is not what you'd want. You want to be outthere, seeing your components work and gathering data on how well they work and how that data correlates to the simulations you've been running.

A team with more problems tells me that things are not running the way they should. And that in itself is worrying and why I am skeptical at this point. I'm not expecting miracles and they are up against very strong opposition that had a working car last year and where this year for most is a mere "evolution" of an already very strong package. McLaren-Honda doesn't have that luxury and everything I've seen so far does not suggest to me that they are on top of their game yet.

I don't think looking at all those signs and naming them make me a pessimist. If they had a working competitive package last year, I'd be more confident, but they didn't. Which is why I'm less concerned when Ferrari has an off day with issues - because they did have a competitive package last year - a baseline that did work.
Thanks for the respectful comment. Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions about McLaren. I'm not expecting them to out-qualify the Mercs by 1.5seconds and dominate the championship, in fact I stated in the pecking order thread they would be better than the MP4-30, but not enough to score lower midfield points consistently.

I also have no problem with pessimism, when there's logic in it like what you have. But the amount of excessive, over-the-top pessimism is really grating, even cringe-worthy to an extent. Are we forgetting that last year they only had 380 laps throughout the entire pre-season testing? They've already managed 257 with 100km of filming under their belt and 4 days still left next week? If Alonso does another 122 lap day, then they're already at 379 laps. I think while McLaren are not yet the team they were in 2010-2012 or even the late 90's-mid 2000's, it's defiantly better than last year on all counts.

Let's wait to see what the MKII engine next week has in terms of performance and what the combined homologated engine is in Melbourne.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Lucky
Lucky
198
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:23 am

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post


User avatar
mclaren111
224
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Shithole - South Africa

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

The Engine sounds good :D [-o< :D

damager21
damager21
44
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:35 am

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Longer pit stop video from filming today. Honda engine does sound sweet



Button & Alonso seem to be enjoying =D>

Image

User avatar
Gridlock
60
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Hang on, that almost sounds like a racecar...
#58

namao
namao
7
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

You can see at 0:19 in the video that the circuit marker has the time at 17.15 PM. This wasn't shoot today, was from yesterday. McLaren is trying to play with us... :evil:

User avatar
bdr529
102
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Canada

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

namao wrote:You can see at 0:19 in the video that the circuit marker has the time at 17.15 PM. This wasn't shoot today, was from yesterday. McLaren is trying to play with us... :evil:
I real don't think they're trying to mess with you, the title of the video only says McLaren filming day
there's no mention of which day it was filmed, nor would I think that would make much of a difference.
whether it was on Friday or Saturday, it's still just a practice pit stop.

besides that, the tweet from Jenson Button posted on the last page does say Feb. 26

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums
11
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

McLaren tested over both days so that's another race distance roughly

radosav
radosav
42
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

fellowhoodlums wrote:McLaren tested over both days so that's another race distance roughly
In both days they could do max 30 laps.

trinidefender
trinidefender
333
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Are there any pics or video? Usually some kind of information comes out of testing days. Does anybody even know if they were running consistently?

flickerf1
flickerf1
10
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I just decided to leave it here: How come McLaren decided to switch from Mercedes to Honda for 2015? Mercedes had the best PU, so why leave? It doesn't make sense to me. Taking a new, untested PU over one that won both the Constructors and Drivers championships.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Moose
Moose
126
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

flickerf1 wrote:I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I just decided to leave it here: How come McLaren decided to switch from Mercedes to Honda for 2015? Mercedes had the best PU, so why leave? It doesn't make sense to me. Taking a new, untested PU over one that won both the Constructors and Drivers championships.
Because they knew that they would never get an equal engine by being with Mercedes, they would always be behind in updates, software, or just plain information about the optimal way to run the thing.

The only way to win in modern F1 is by being a factory team, so they became a factory team again.

flickerf1
flickerf1
10
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Moose wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I just decided to leave it here: How come McLaren decided to switch from Mercedes to Honda for 2015? Mercedes had the best PU, so why leave? It doesn't make sense to me. Taking a new, untested PU over one that won both the Constructors and Drivers championships.
Because they knew that they would never get an equal engine by being with Mercedes, they would always be behind in updates, software, or just plain information about the optimal way to run the thing.

The only way to win in modern F1 is by being a factory team, so they became a factory team again.
Ok, thanks for explaining it for me!
The Wicked + The Divine.

giantfan10
giantfan10
52
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

flickerf1 wrote:
Moose wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I just decided to leave it here: How come McLaren decided to switch from Mercedes to Honda for 2015? Mercedes had the best PU, so why leave? It doesn't make sense to me. Taking a new, untested PU over one that won both the Constructors and Drivers championships.
Because they knew that they would never get an equal engine by being with Mercedes, they would always be behind in updates, software, or just plain information about the optimal way to run the thing.

The only way to win in modern F1 is by being a factory team, so they became a factory team again.
Ok, thanks for explaining it for me!
the Formula 1 constructors championship is basically between Mercedes,Ferrari, Mclaren and Red bull for now until Renault comes up to speed, The rest of the teams will never be allowed to win a constructors championship being an engine customer to a team active in the same championship.

User avatar
bauc
80
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am
Location: Skopje, Macedonia

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

radosav wrote:
fellowhoodlums wrote:McLaren tested over both days so that's another race distance roughly
In both days they could do max 30 laps.
44 laps to be precise, but who cares....what is important is how the team will do the next 4 days of testing
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg