2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wazari

Re: 2016 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

diffuser wrote:I like him too but....It is what it is. I wouldn't feel sorry about him. He has Millions in the bank and I'm sure the next model Girlfriend is right around the corner. How many of us can claim that ?
Well, just remember money doesn't buy you happiness. Many of us at Honda received company stock every year as part of our year end bonus. Our stock from the early 80's did quite well with one 5:1 split, then another 4:1 split, then another 2:1 split, etc. We all hung on to it, so at least us in the engineering dept did quite well financially but many of my colleagues were not all that happy most of the time. I've been around probably a lot longer than most of you posters and from experience, I can tell you that money can buy a lot of things inc. time, but not happiness.

I hope for both Jenson and Fernando that next year's car lives up to its potential. I hope for the McLaren-Honda fans it does too. Anyway Happy New Year!!
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1

Felipe 92

Edax wrote: All kidding aside. Lauda invested his own money in his team earlier in his carrier, if the stories are correct he even went as far as buying parts for his own car.

It would be a nice gesture from Alonso and Button, if they just went to the team and said "forget our ludicrous salaries for the moment, use it to build us a better car. We can talk about a performance based bonus afterwards. They surely can use it with a declining income and no title sponsor behind their name.
I remember Button`s interview in Top Gear back before he was WC where he said he "would trade money, lifestyle, Monaco, girls just to be World Champion. He took salary cut (to 3 million £) in 2009 (Brawn GP) but I think that was just because he knew that without that he will never see F1 seat again. There were "hearthbreaking" articles in British media saying he had to travel on budget airlines and wash his own clothes. Because 3 million £ a year is such small amount of money.
Edax wrote: With a combined 350 million on the bank it wouldn't hurt them and would at least reinforce the idea that people are competing in this sports to win and not to get the most zero's behind their name.
You are wrong, it`s about having bigger,more expensive yacht/house/car/plane. We are talking about people who earn 20-30 million € per year (+money from personal sponsors) and still cry because they have to do some sponsorship adverts (Hamilton). "We are here to win." is just for media and to win sympathy of fans.

Joseki

Edax wrote:
Felipe 92 wrote:
I agree with you. I wouldn't be happy in a Bentley sitting next to a supermodel girlfriend knowing that I spent 300 000 € on a Bentley Continental which is based on a VW Phaeton chassis (fancy VW Passat) and has Audi V8 engine. I'd rather drive alone in a bus.
If you have the money to buy a Bentley, and you don't chip in the extra bucks to buy one with a W12 engine then indeed you have reason to be ashamed. :D

All kidding aside. Lauda invested his own money in his team earlier in his carrier, if the stories are correct he even went as far as buying parts for his own car.

It would be a nice gesture from Alonso and Button, if they just went to the team and said "forget our ludicrous salaries for the moment, use it to build us a better car. We can talk about a performance based bonus afterwards. They surely can use it with a declining income and no title sponsor behind their name.

With a combined 350 million on the bank it wouldn't hurt them and would at least reinforce the idea that people are competing in this sports to win and not to get the most zero's behind their name.

I don't pay my boss to give me a decent office, I take it for granted.

Why should JB and FA cut their salaray when they did their job the best they could? Also I believe Alonso is paid by Honda not McLaren.

Webber2011

proteus wrote:There should be a tread created named "girlfriends and money", or "getting dumped by youre girlfriend" or just simply "Button and Jessica broke up - 10 reasons why". I come here to read about the team in general, im seriously not interested to read about what was the reason for them breaking up. All the drivers had many of wimen and thats just the way it is. There is atleast 400 people working for Mclaren F1 project, are we going to look into all of their relationships?
Well said.

I just find it immature for some people here to continue the bagging out of Jenson's failed relationship, using the excuse his money will compensate.
I'm sure he's quite happy with his "money" every time he looks at his bank balance.
Does that make "Him" happy right now though ? ? ?

The jokes were in poor taste from a Forum I considered better than that.

Anyhow, that's the last I'll say on it.

mclaren111

I hope Ron & his boys can find a good brand of watch maker to replace TAG Heuer.

I really like Breitling.

hemichromis

Change makes people happy or sad status quo does not.

If someone wins the lottery they will be very happy for months but eventually it will fade and become the new status quo and they will no longer be happier than they were before winning.

Bomber_Pilot

Can we just stop wth all this money/happiness related stuff.... I know that there really isn't much to talk about right now, but this really doesn't belong here.

PlatinumZealot

mclaren111 wrote:I hope Ron & his boys can find a good brand of watch maker to replace TAG Heuer.

I really like Breitling.
They can go SEIKO too.

Or Patek Philippe
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/article/ ... 2016+.html
Jenson:
"We have a lot of strengths," said Button, "and I think everyone knows McLaren and what they've achieved. It is still the same team."
"We've learned so much this year with the power unit, with the idea of the aerodynamics of the car, because it's very different to a normal McLaren, so there is a lot of learning to take from this season," said Button.

"This winter," he continued, "is a very important one for us, to make those big changes and come out a lot stronger next year because we don't want to be where we are, we want to be fighting near the front.

"Whether we can win races or not, that's another question but I think we can at last fight at the front next year."

Fernando:
"At the moment there's a question mark," he admitted, "where McLaren-Honda can be" in 2016.

"There are a lot of expectations in the team. I think we were united in some difficult moments and always moving forward, so I think for 2016 the main goal for the team is to come back to where we belong and being competitive, fighting for the top positions," said Alonso.

"I don't know if that means fighting for the championship, I don't know if that means fighting for victories or just being on the podium sometimes, that's always difficult to know in a very complex sport like formula one.

"There are definitely some big challenges ahead in this winter and I see all the things that the team has done in the last couple of months and these seem very logical, very positive and I'm confident that it's going to be a completely different season next year," he added.

adrianjordan

Webber2011 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
Gaz. wrote:
I'm not aware of ever hearing "money can't buy happiness" uttered from the mouths of anyone who has experienced genuine hardship.
Money can't itself buy happiness. But it can help buy things that can...
Like a plastic Girl to sit next to you, who will leave in a millisecond for the next bloke who has something shinier ?
Like a roofover your head, like an education to allow you to achieve your dream career - in my case one where I can genuinely say I help people everyday, like not having the stress of where your next meal is coming from. 3 years ago I was unemployed (thanks to redundancy due to economy) and at one point 2 days away from living on the street...trust me, money helps...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mclaren111

Seiko seems a good target/choice for Mclaren to go after.

Wikipedia:
Seiko is also named as the official timekeeper of the Gran Turismo racing game series, published by Sony. It's also the sponsor of FC Barcelona.

Seiko used to sponsor Honda F1 (previously known as BAR [British American Racing] Honda)

adrianjordan

Or they could snap up Casio since, presumably, RBR won't be sponsored by them any more. Casio seems to be pushing forward with new technology: http://wsd.casio.com/us/en/
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Tomek1623