2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
turbof1

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

bhall II wrote:
dans79 wrote:no matter how "clean" the car is, it's always going to leave turbulent air behind it.

What has happened, is that the teams have adopted things like high aspect ratios, substantial turbulence generators, and profiles that stall at given air speeds, or when the airflow is at some angle etc. Basically, the aerodynamic operating envelope of the cars have gotten smaller and smaller over the years, and this leads to them not being able to follow closely anymore.

More mechanical grip will help, but only for so long. What needs to happen, is a serious revamp of the aerodynamic rules. The aro rules are incredibly open compared to the chassis and engine. The rules need to be changed with an eye on guaranteeing they have minimal negative effects from turbulent air flow.

The aero is so sensitive now, that crosswinds and tail winds have even started to become a problem.
For the most part, I agree with the factors you and others have listed. What I'm trying to say is that it's all irrelevant.

If it's about aero, this shouldn't be possible.

Overtaking in 2008: ~14.5 per GP
http://i.imgur.com/75h6SGv.jpg
Overtaking in 1996: ~14.5 per GP

If it's about mechanical grip, this shouldn't be possible.

Non-DRS overtaking in 2011: ~33 per GP
http://i.imgur.com/437oR3p.jpg
Overtaking in 1991: ~31 per GP

http://i.imgur.com/Zian2jA.gif
Ultimately, overtaking is concerned with neither downforce nor mechanical grip individually; it's about total performance differentiation. The kind of performance differentiation required for semi-routine (?) overtaking on circuits that have but a single racing line - 1s to 1.5s - is also the kind of performance differentiation that results in processions, because cars capable of such overtaking inevitably begin races well ahead of the cars they can overtake. The mechanics of turbulence and tire degradation are both subservient to this reality, and trying to overcome it is the Sisyphean job I referenced earlier.
FoxHound wrote:Would this be a good time to bring in circuit performance?
Though I agree with you that circuits could (and should) be made better, Ciro put together a fantastic post about how it's virtually impossible to accommodate a second viable racing line.
I find the notion of "overtaking" very misleading. I don't want overtaking per se. You don't want overtaking per se. Nobody really wants overtaking per se (except the ones in charge who thinks everybody else wants it so it correlates to how succesful and profitable the series is). What we want is that drivers fight for positions which might or might not lead to overtaking. Not the same thing.

For instance I can very much understand why in 1991 (and possibly in 1996 too, not quite sure) overtaking was as difficult: you had broader axle track which you could use the car better to hinder someone from behind. However, the car from behind was able to race closer, much closer probably. You might have less overtaking, but I can assure you, even with not having a single search for numbers or anything otherwise, that you'd have much more battles for position which simply did not ended up with swapping positions. That's not overtaking, but at at the same time everybody got what they wanted: tension through the fight for position.

Basically, you will face from 2017 even less overtaking (except if they really go crazy with DRS). It'll depend on how the ratio between mechanical and aerodynamical grip shifts if we are actually going to get more fights for positions.
#AeroFrodo

Cold Fussion

turbof1 wrote:You might have less overtaking, but I can assure you, even with not having a single search for numbers or anything otherwise, that you'd have much more battles for position which simply did not ended up with swapping positions.
Please don't confuse your speculation for facts.

turbof1

Cold Fussion wrote:
turbof1 wrote:You might have less overtaking, but I can assure you, even with not having a single search for numbers or anything otherwise, that you'd have much more battles for position which simply did not ended up with swapping positions.
Please don't confuse your speculation for facts.
Maybe the part between the "," and the "," is the clue here ;). It's based solely on reasoning, and I'm not bothered looking for statistics at the moment, but I'm fairly sure what I say corresponds with the reality in 1991. Cars should atleast have been able to follow eachother more closely then today. Overtaking is a different thing.
#AeroFrodo

dans79

Someone should tell Toto, that picking a side is pretty much human nature.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns32798.html
197 104 103 7

Webber2011

ScottB wrote:
It's a very broad spectrum, so while that's possibly true, many dyslexic people excell at lateral thinking and problem solving, so while his dyslexia could impact him in some ways, it could well be a strength in others!
I know I'm keeping this thread slightly off topic, but dyslexia is a crazy, crazy thing, and I have to agree with you ScottB.

I worked for a Family managing their 150 acre orchard for 20 years.
The Father, Ron, was dyslexic but what a fantastic engineer.

The things I witnessed that guy build in a tiny workshop, with only an old lathe, a drill press, a few welders and a grinder were something to behold !

He built a Belt Press to make apple juice from a photo someone in Europe sent him.
True, just a photo !

At the time, no one in Australia had such a machine.
It was basically two belts with tiny holes, that ran through a series of rollers to squeeze the apple pulp tighter and tighter until as much juice was extracted as possible.
The belts were kept in line by a series of air bags that moved rollers at each end of the machine, and adjusted the pressure of the squeeze rollers according to the density of the pulp.
Might not sound like much today, but we could fill a 20 000 litre tank in 4 hours.
Most of our competition were taking over a day !

Anyhow back to the Dyslexia.
Ron could not measure a thing.
Seriously, if it was 2 foot 3 inches long, he would forever cut it to 3 foot 2 inches, even if he wrote it down a hundred times :lol:

His Dyslexia messed him up with numbers, and sometimes letters, but the guys brain was just so far ahead of itself engineering wise that I suspect little things like that were somehow dismissed without him even knowing why.

ringo

Interesting condition. And he was literate right?
For Sure!!

Webber2011

ringo wrote:Interesting condition. And he was literate right?
Yeah no problem.
He would endlessly be reading books on all sorts of topics.
I don't think he was too bad with maths either, but something just didn't compute when it came to putting those numbers to use in the physical world.

He struggled at school because of it, but it wasn't until much later in life he was actually diagnosed as being dyslexic.

Hawkeye

Did a quick render of a proposed livery...
http://elliotthawkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -2016.html

Jordan44

Hawkeye wrote:Did a quick render of a proposed livery...
That looks incredibly bland.

Racer X

J0rd4n wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Did a quick render of a proposed livery...
That looks incredibly bland.
Well their livery is usually simple if they did a little black to the back it wouldn't look half bad specially if they still use some of that teal some where else in the silver area. Not that big a difference..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Cold Fussion

Can we leave fantasy liveries in the fantasy livery thread, there's no reason to pollute team threads with fan designs.

SoCalWJS

Mercedes has released a short video of the rear of this years engine with brief audio. Main exhaust pipe has two smaller pipes below indicating a split wastegate.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/147 ... ew-exhaust

Article says it should make for a louder exhaust noise.

Redragon

I got the feeling Mercedes will launch some Renders of the car tomorrow via social media to overshadow Ferrari launch.

Jordan44

Redragon wrote:I got the feeling Mercedes will launch some Renders of the car tomorrow via social media to overshadow Ferrari launch.
Nah I'm pretty confident they'll show some footage from the filming day/shakedown at Silverstone like last year. Been on the calendar for a while.

Redragon

J0rd4n wrote:
Redragon wrote:I got the feeling Mercedes will launch some Renders of the car tomorrow via social media to overshadow Ferrari launch.
Nah I'm pretty confident they'll show some footage from the filming day/shakedown at Silverstone like last year. Been on the calendar for a while.
From a marketing point of view it make sense, Mercedes haven't confirmed their dates. By the time everyone is talking about the new Ferrari, you can realise a render via twitter and all the attention shift towards you. I believe it was done on the past.

But you might be right.