2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
Kiril Varbanov
250
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:00 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Silent Storm wrote: It seems the strategy team doesn't smell any fear.
Yeah, that's "va bank" approach. They risk, because they know the package's shortcomings. And they make mistakes. The software they work with is pretty much the same as the rest. Back in the days they used simpler techniques, as explained to me by their ex-team member - http://f1framework.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... ained.html

User avatar
Juzh
515
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Silent Storm wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Some bits from Baldisserri interview: ....
Here's is another site - http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... ri-837753/

Basically, it's the same, just with slightly different words. Pretty sad, albeit already visible. You can smell the fear.
It seems the strategy team doesn't smell any fear.

Radical Gearbox which is problematic.
PU which isn't running on full power as seen on dyno due to reliability issues.
http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrar ... lo-837096/
Thanks for the link.

If you look at this side by side of kimi and rosberg in suzuka it more or less confirms what the article says. Both cars are neck and neck up until the back straight leading up to final chicane in which space rosberg gains 0.2s on RAI even though mercedes ran all their engines detuned for reliability.



Gotta say though, ferrari looks good trough the first sector. Just as good as the merc.

iulian_florea
iulian_florea
4
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Great video!
They seem very close on the main straight in the beggining of the lap.
What makes a difference on the back straight is Rosberg's much better exit from 2nd Spoon Curve in 4th gear vs Raikkonen's in 5th.
The German seems to be toying with the engine modes throughout the lap.

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Silent Storm wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Some bits from Baldisserri interview: ....
Here's is another site - http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... ri-837753/

Basically, it's the same, just with slightly different words. Pretty sad, albeit already visible. You can smell the fear.
It seems the strategy team doesn't smell any fear.

Radical Gearbox which is problematic.
PU which isn't running on full power as seen on dyno due to reliability issues.
http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrar ... lo-837096/
Those two aspects, though ver important for the car´s general performance, have nothing to do with bad strategies.

toraabe
toraabe
18
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 am

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

The Mercedes drivers were banned from running strat5 ( qualifying mode )
Although they were faster. The w07 seems to have much better grip in low speed corners.
In which is down to their linked front suspension and how much softer it is set up.
Another thing is the Merc engine superiour drivability (flat tourqe curve ) out of low speed corners.

User avatar
ME4ME
173
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

toraabe wrote:Another thing is the Merc engine superiour drivability (flat tourqe curve ) out of low speed corners.
Not saying you're wrong here, but what evidence is there for you to present this as fact?

Silent Storm
Silent Storm
107
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:42 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Juzh wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote: Here's is another site - http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... ri-837753/

Basically, it's the same, just with slightly different words. Pretty sad, albeit already visible. You can smell the fear.
It seems the strategy team doesn't smell any fear.

Radical Gearbox which is problematic.
PU which isn't running on full power as seen on dyno due to reliability issues.
http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrar ... lo-837096/
Thanks for the link.

If you look at this side by side of kimi and rosberg in suzuka it more or less confirms what the article says. Both cars are neck and neck up until the back straight leading up to final chicane in which space rosberg gains 0.2s on RAI even though mercedes ran all their engines detuned for reliability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4tXiGDtX5w

Gotta say though, ferrari looks good trough the first sector. Just as good as the merc.
I agree with you it's close with merc till the straights.

According to that link even the gearbox is changing its gears slower than usual to maintain reliability, although I don't think it makes any difference, upshifts and downshifts looks normal from onboards. The movements of the suspension arms connected to gearbox are causing these issues because the structure is not strong enough so that is affecting aero calculation and tyre degradation as the suspension arms are deforming.
There is always a way, and it usually doesn't work.

toraabe
toraabe
18
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 am

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

ME4ME wrote:
toraabe wrote:Another thing is the Merc engine superiour drivability (flat tourqe curve ) out of low speed corners.
Not saying you're wrong here, but what evidence is there for you to present this as fact?
It was written in an article I read some weeks ago....

User avatar
ME4ME
173
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

toraabe wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
toraabe wrote:Another thing is the Merc engine superiour drivability (flat tourqe curve ) out of low speed corners.
Not saying you're wrong here, but what evidence is there for you to present this as fact?
It was written in an article I read some weeks ago....
Author of the article? I highly doubt it's more than speculation. I'm not saying it's either right or wrong, but I can't imagine anyone in the press has seen actual torque graphs for both the power units, and as such nobody knows. Spreading it as fact isn't appropriate IMO since there are other factors that very well could explain cornering & traction characteristics. Speculation should be presented as just that, speculation.

User avatar
Juzh
515
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

toraabe wrote:The Mercedes drivers were banned from running strat5 ( qualifying mode )
Quali mode is strat 1 or 2. It's 100% not strat 5. I'm not sure where you got that from.

edit. Proof.
Notice Q next to strat 2. Higher us 1. (open in new tab for larger pic)
Image

The_Truth
The_Truth
0
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Does anyone know who is in charge of Ferrari strategy?

User avatar
F1NAC
168
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: CRO

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

The_Truth wrote:Does anyone know who is in charge of Ferrari strategy?
Inaki Rueda?

The_Truth
The_Truth
0
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

F1NAC wrote:
The_Truth wrote:Does anyone know who is in charge of Ferrari strategy?
Inaki Rueda?
Thank you so much.

Fifty
Fifty
5
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Is anything changing in the Ferrari Strategist camp? Not many more chances this year to bring in better points...suck to keep throwing it away on weird decisions...

mika vs michael
mika vs michael
-1
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:35 am

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Ferrari seems to be in no man's land at the moment...
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/allis ... 50840/?s=1
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent