2016 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Re: 2016 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Ferrari

Pretty incredible that Gasly has been underwhelming for quite a while and suddenly turns it on right about the time Kvyat falls apart.

ME4ME

Cold Fussion wrote:Pretty incredible that Gasly has been underwhelming for quite a while and suddenly turns it on right about the time Kvyat falls apart.
Indeed. Form & confidence seem to fluctuate quite a lot in junior categories. But then again, those drivers are still pretty young and relativly inexperienced.

I think it happened to Sainz as well. He started to perform right when he needed it. Da Costa did the opposite, his performance dropped when he didn't get an F1 seat at the very first chance available.

Vasconia

It seems that the last update has been terrible . The car´s performance has declined since the new package was introduced in Germany. I hope they will go back and make some changes.

This weekend will be a hard one.

Schuttelberg

ME4ME wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:Pretty incredible that Gasly has been underwhelming for quite a while and suddenly turns it on right about the time Kvyat falls apart.
Indeed. Form & confidence seem to fluctuate quite a lot in junior categories. But then again, those drivers are still pretty young and relativly inexperienced.

I think it happened to Sainz as well. He started to perform right when he needed it. Da Costa did the opposite, his performance dropped when he didn't get an F1 seat at the very first chance available.
Alain Prost, who I regard as one of the greatest drivers ever in our sport once said that the psychology of a racing driver contributes upto 80% of the results on track.

I think if you see Nico Hulkenberg's run just before he won Le Mans and just after till the point Raikkonen was announced at Ferrari, you can see he was on another level. Same at Sauber, until Raikkonen was announced.

Now, I don't rate Kvyat at all, but he's not the most awful driver out there. Certainly good enough to be in F1, but his morale, confidence and mind is absolutely destroyed.

Every individual is different. Some treat pressure as an opportunity. Some crumble under it. Some need a carrot to dangle up over to go that extra mile, while others do it naturally. It's human nature.

Personally, more than pure talent, I appreciate a bottle and stomach for a big situation. If someone were to ask me, I think Vettel is the finest driver under pressure (provided he's at one with the car) and Rosberg the worst.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Vasconia

Schuttelberg wrote:
Now, I don't rate Kvyat at all, but he's not the most awful driver out there. Certainly good enough to be in F1, but his morale, confidence and mind is absolutely destroyed.

Every individual is different. Some treat pressure as an opportunity. Some crumble under it. Some need a carrot to dangle up over to go that extra mile, while others do it naturally. It's human nature.

Personally, more than pure talent, I appreciate a bottle and stomach for a big situation. If someone were to ask me, I think Vettel is the finest driver under pressure (provided he's at one with the car) and Rosberg the worst.
Kvyat has talent and speed, only a few races before he was on the podium. As you have said, this change destroyed his selfsteem. Some drivers are stronger than other, and this was too much for Daniil.

I disagree, I would say that Alonso is the strongest one. I ask myself how many current drivers could resist having Michael Schumacher behind during 20 laps.

Nico the worst? ok he sucumbs against Lewis when they battle togerther but he has remained three years battling against him under a great pressure, while all the media and fans keep repiting that he is not good enough to defeat Lewis. Even with this he managed to battle for the championship until the last race in 2014 and he is doing the same now. This is far from being the weakest.

Schuttelberg

Vasconia wrote:Kvyat has talent and speed, only a few races before he was on the podium. As you have said, this change destroyed his selfsteem. Some drivers are stronger than other, and this was too much for Daniil.

I disagree, I would say that Alonso is the strongest one. I ask myself how many current drivers could resist having Michael Schumacher behind during 20 laps.

Nico the worst? ok he sucumbs against Lewis when they battle togerther but he has remained three years battling against him under a great pressure, while all the media and fans keep repiting that he is not good enough to defeat Lewis. Even with this he managed to battle for the championship until the last race in 2014 and he is doing the same now. This is far from being the weakest.
1) I agree about Kvyat having speed and talent. You don't get where he has without it. Does he have enough to be at the top of the F1 ladder? Absolutely not. Max Verstappen has stepped into an unknown car and delivered results which Kvyat couldn't after a full winter with the car. His mental disintegration has been a free fall and unfortunately, I feel his Formula 1 career is over enough to not win GP or championships. There are a plethora of F1 drivers that have been on the podium and even won races who simply don't cut it. Kvyat is one of them. F1 is all about consistency in speed and results and he's far from it.

2) Alonso is a brilliant driver. I'd not know whether to argue he's the best today or not because of the presence of Hamilton and Vettel so I believe that these three are at the same level with their own strengths and weaknesses. Is he the best under pressure? In my opinion, no he isn't but I respect your opinion when you say he is.

3) Your third point about Rosberg is simply an illusion. It's what Rosberg's challenge against Hamilton has been. In 2014, the stupid double points rule took the title battle to the last race. Who had more mechanical failures in 2014 upto the last race? Just to point out- Rosberg has won 7 races this year of which in 4 Hamilton has started 10th or worse. In the other three races, Hamilton has been 4th or below after Lap 1. I think, if the two Mercedes cars finish, it will generally be 1-2. Such is their dominance over the field. It is this car advantage that has helped Rosberg stay in touch in the championship. Even then, Rosberg has not been shy of some absolutely piss poor races. Mind you, a lot of people think Hamilton has been on form this year, but fact is that he has blown a bit hot and cold. If you see his performance from 2007 or 2012, he would obliterate Rosberg. So, while the championship table shows a gap of a negligible 2 points, fact is that Rosberg doesn't have a prayer if Hamilton has a 'normal' weekend.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Vasconia

We have may examples of races where Alonso has been awesome under pressure. I dont think Lewis is on the same leveL(In this aspect). Vettel is better than Hamilton but far from Alonso. And I like Sebastian, but under he pressure the Spaniard has no rivals.

Being the best car by far has helped Hamilton to recover a lot of positions. Dont get me wrong, Lewis is one of the best(if not the best) "overtaker" of the field, but when you a car which is 1 second faster it helps a lot.

On the other way this has also helped Nico a lot. But Nico is great on qualy so I dont have doubts that he would achieve more or less similar results without such a dominant car. Between 2010-2013 he got the best he could with the car he had.

In conclusión, having the best car has helped a lot both drivers, I dont see an extra benefit for Nico or Lewis in comparsion to his teammate.

Once again, I have no doubts that Lewis is better but i find quite annoying the trend of despising Nico over and over again.

turbof1

We are closing the 2016 team threads. The 2017 Toro Rosso team thread can be found here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 15&t=25528
#AeroFrodo