2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Facts Only
Facts Only
271
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

MrCelroy wrote:
FW17 wrote:
Gaz. wrote: Manor has 5 years experience but lost all data last year, hence has data of a year
probably a staff strength of a 100
no manufacturing capability
no windtunnel
no experience with there engine
a budget of 80 million
Well, you may be right but a few things mentioned are/could be wrong.
1. I remember they had over 100 staff if I recall some interviews correctly.
2. They may have manufacturing capability due to the Manor base sharing the premises of the Prodrive factory.
3. They have been using the Mclaren windtunnel.
4. The budget could increase due to the top 10 prize money for 2014 and 2015.
They didnt share premises with the Prodrive factory, they were just accross the road. Also that building has long been sold to HAAS for their U.K base.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

MrCelroy
MrCelroy
7
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Nope, they are now sharing the premises.
Proof from manor: http://www.manorf1team.com/Manor%20TC%2 ... ctions.pdf

Proof from prodrive: http://www.prodrive.com/#!contact/c1k00 and http://media.wix.com/ugd/b7967c_069e921 ... c2ebd1.pdf

They both have the same address, same location on the map..... and both are using the same graphics for the directions to their location.
Welcome to the exciting and wonderful world of automobile racing. Enjoy!

Facts Only
Facts Only
271
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

MrCelroy wrote:Nope, they are now sharing the premises.
Proof from manor: http://www.manorf1team.com/Manor%20TC%2 ... ctions.pdf

Proof from prodrive: http://www.prodrive.com/#!contact/c1k00 and http://media.wix.com/ugd/b7967c_069e921 ... c2ebd1.pdf

They both have the same address, same location on the map..... and both are using the same graphics for the directions to their location.
Blimey, well thats a new one on me, last person I spoke to from Manor/Marussia said they were working out of Dinnington until they were set-up at Silverstone. I wonder whats going on then? Will have to ask about.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

I think it's hard for anybody on the outside to follow. I have to say that when Lowdon and other key persons moved on at the end of 2015, my reaction was that it really look bleak for the team.

But now that Lombazis and Fry joined, I think we have picked up signs that significant things happened behind the scenes. Even though they were none-actively employed at Ferrari, it is still no small feat for such a humble team to attract such staff. They must have seen elements that encouraged longterm prospective.

I hope those elements will come out of the shadows soon and into the public. I'm very intrigued as I too was under the impression their old workshop got sold off. They must have bought it back partly.
#AeroFrodo

MrCelroy
MrCelroy
7
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Facts Only wrote:
Blimey, well thats a new one on me, last person I spoke to from Manor/Marussia said they were working out of Dinnington until they were set-up at Silverstone. I wonder whats going on then? Will have to ask about.
Well from a few interviews I've read from Lowdon, they moved to this location at the Prodrive base near or at the end of september. Previously before that they were at the silverstone innovation centre and that was only temporary. He said that it wasn't good that the team were working in separate locations and this new base meant they'd be working closer together.
Welcome to the exciting and wonderful world of automobile racing. Enjoy!

User avatar
WaikeCU
72
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Imagine this:

Lombazis' and Fry's signing are investments for the future. Both of them will be working on 2017 together with Prodrive of Dave Richards. Perhaps that's the reason why they have moved to Silverstone. It's a longterm plan. Nothing has been announced yet about a deal with Prodrive, but behind the scenes there are already plans made. They could surprise everybody at the first venue in 2017 performance wise.

Mercedes PU, Lombazis, Fry, Prodrive. Those are ingredients for an exciting project.

Gaz.
Gaz.
37
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:53 am

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

FW17 wrote:
Gaz. wrote: I really would like to see Manor leap into the midfield. Sauber I would imagine will be dead last but the next rung ........

Wonder where is the logic in that statement

Sauber has over 20 years of experience
complete research team of 330 staff
complete inhouse manufacturing capability
complete inhouse windtunnel
2 year experience with the engine
And budget of 120 million

Manor has 5 years experience but lost all data last year, hence has data of a year
probably a staff strength of a 100
no manufacturing capability
no windtunnel
no experience with there engine
a budget of 80 million

Just because people here hate Monisha Kettlebone it will not make them last.
"I would really like Manor to leap into the midfield". "I would like to win the Euromillions". Both are unlikely yet I said nothing more than the above, it is something I would simply like to see. Sauber being last, well Marussia beat them in 2014 with the same engine and this year they potentially have a better one. Chill out, there are no points to win on the internet.
Forza Jules

User avatar
Scuderia1967
5
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Gaz. wrote:
FW17 wrote:
Gaz. wrote: I really would like to see Manor leap into the midfield. Sauber I would imagine will be dead last but the next rung ........

Wonder where is the logic in that statement

Sauber has over 20 years of experience
complete research team of 330 staff
complete inhouse manufacturing capability
complete inhouse windtunnel
2 year experience with the engine
And budget of 120 million

Manor has 5 years experience but lost all data last year, hence has data of a year
probably a staff strength of a 100
no manufacturing capability
no windtunnel
no experience with there engine
a budget of 80 million

Just because people here hate Monisha Kettlebone it will not make them last.
"I would really like Manor to leap into the midfield". "I would like to win the Euromillions". Both are unlikely yet I said nothing more than the above, it is something I would simply like to see. Sauber being last, well Marussia beat them in 2014 with the same engine and this year they potentially have a better one. Chill out, there are no points to win on the internet.
In 2014 Sauber had a lame car and two even lamer drivers, Marussia had Bianchi. There's no real comparison

f1316
f1316
135
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Anyone think Maldonado might end up as the second driver at Manor?

I'm not saying I think he should be, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Manor think that bringing in two government backed drivers sets them up very nicely financially; the difference with Maldonado is that he'll be their most experienced driver since Timo Glock - something which (and I know I'll get some stick for this) would be useful for the team. Yes, he may have a few adventures but so will a new driver , and I would assume his feedback is a bit more f1 proven.

Anyway, I'd prefer to see someone new (but only if they're actually good - not the Will Stevens of this world) but think this might be a possibility.

cbbcisace
cbbcisace
2
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

f1316 wrote:Anyone think Maldonado might end up as the second driver at Manor?

I'm not saying I think he should be, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Manor think that bringing in two government backed drivers sets them up very nicely financially; the difference with Maldonado is that he'll be their most experienced driver since Timo Glock - something which (and I know I'll get some stick for this) would be useful for the team. Yes, he may have a few adventures but so will a new driver , and I would assume his feedback is a bit more f1 proven.

Anyway, I'd prefer to see someone new (but only if they're actually good - not the Will Stevens of this world) but think this might be a possibility.
Don't think so, think its going to be between Rossi/Haryanto and Wehrlien.

User avatar
NathanOlder
164
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

I hope its Wehrlien and Rossi. [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

User avatar
NathanOlder
164
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

http://www.inautonews.com/wehrlein-to-r ... -2016-bild

Apparently Pascal has one of the seats.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

hemichromis
hemichromis
21
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Pascal himself has confirmed he is racing:

"It has been a dream for me to become a F1 driver since my very first visit at a Grand Prix at the age of six," Wehrlein said. Now this dream has come true."


http://en.f1i.com/news/40892-wehrlein-a ... drive.html

User avatar
superdowg316
23
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:19 am
Location: 'Straya

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122751

Autosport saying Wehrlein is a Manor driver now. He reminds me a lot of Jules, backed by a top factory team starting out in the Manor/Marussia to prove himself and with massive potential. Hopefully he can put some great performances in over the coming years.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Post

Congratulations to Pascal Wehrlein for landing that seat =D> .
#AeroFrodo