2016 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

2016 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

Team: Sauber F1 Team
Base: Hinwil, Zurich, Switzerland
Team principal: Monisha Kaltenborn
Technical director(s): Mark Smith

Race drivers: 9 Image Marcus Ericsson & 12 Image Felipe Nasr

Test drivers : ????

Chassis: C35
Engine: Ferrari V6 Turbo

2014 position: 8th (36 pts)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to discuss the 2016 Sauber - Ferrari F1 TEAM
Discussion about the pre-launch 2016 Sauber - Ferrari C35 F1 CAR: CLICK HERE
Last edited by Manoah2u on 08 Dec 2015, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

sauberfan

Re: 2016 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

http://www.sauberf1team.com/en/team/management/

Mark Smith is the Technical Director of Sauber F1 Team.

RicME85

New car will be at the second test. Sauber will go to the first test with a modified 2015 car and new livery

NathanOlder

I wouldn't be suprised to see Sauber on the back row in Australia
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

pob

It's unlikely to be a great season for them, but I'm willing to take an internet bet that at least one of the Saubers will qualify ahead of both Renaults in Australia.

efuloni

All the indications suggest a terrible year for Sauber, maybe like 2014. McLaren must at the very least put up a fight with them, but I would bet they will be considerably ahead. Same with Renault. Haas and Manor are likely to be Sauber's competitors in 2016. STR with the Ferrari engines and their aero also must be easily ahead of the swiss team.

My faith for some points relies on Nasr. He was outshined by the STR duo, but his debut was actuallly quite impressive. Even though Ericsson is not a great parameter, its not easy for a rookie to be so ahead of the team-mate, even more with so few tests. I believe Nasr will be even better in 2016 and might grab some points here and there.

Manoah2u

if i'm really honest here, i think Sauber is heading to it's inevitable doom and demise. Sure its great to see the big sponsor that came in with Nasr, brings some color to the field, but that doesnt change much for saubers year-long struggle. Though i think people are a bit extreme at times on 'burning' monisha kaltenborn, the simple truth imho is that she simply isnt cut for the job enough. not that she does an inexusable bad job, but she doesnt do the job good enough imho.

sauber is looking much more like an attorney office instead of a f1 team [ and yes i know kaltenborn's past ].

i dont know who or what would take the team though. i think it would - sadly enough - just end. it did well under BMW's wings, but after that, well, it's sort of haning around.

and there can be only so much teams that are able to go for the podium and every manufacturer wants success so i dont think we'll be seeing BMW or Toyota back in F1.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

ME4ME

I think they are actually on their way out of doom and demise. However they must accept that they'll be near the back of the grid if their current financial situations stays unchanged.

Part of their lackluster 2014 & 2015 season was Ferrari's power unit. In 2014 it was arguably the worst, and even though they got a good PU to start the 2015 season with, they never got the fully upgraded version. So in 2016 they got a chance of improving their position, with PU performance naturally leveling out.

That said, I think it has become one of, if not the most boring team on the grid. Gone are the times of Perez and Kobayashi, or Hulkenberg fending of Alonso in Korea. With Kaltenborn at the helm, they are probably the least inspiring team. Also now that Maldonado is gone, Ericsson is probably the driver on the grid least deserving a seat. The team simply has nothing going for them, while other teams around them are improving and exciting. Toro Rosso has two massivly exciting drivers and a very decent car. Lotus has just got factory backing. Haas is on their way in, and Manor is about to make a multiple-second step forwards.

What Sauber need is stability in regulations, a great power unit, better driver(s) and Pirelli designed to degrade tyres.

wuzak

"Never got the fully upgraded version". Really?

Maybe late in the season, but early on they would have had the same.

Sauber's 2015 season was very much affected by low income. And that was largely to do with their poor 2014 season, where they scored 0 points and finished 9th in the WCC.

ME4ME

iirc they never got the Monza spec PU. They ran the Canada-spec the 2nd half of the season.

f1316

I don't know. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) Sauber are with Haas in receiving the 2016 spec PU from the off. Whilst I agree that they are currently somewhat uninspiring, I think that's solely down to their driver lineup.

Nasr is ok (ish) but never likely to set the world on fire and Ericsson is, I think, way beyond having had the chance to make some kind of an impact (and has failed).

But if Sauber suddenly turned round and said they had stoffel vandoorne and Luca Ghiotto (in my opinion much more interesting than Esteban Ocon), suddenly I'd be really interested in seeing how the team fared. So I don't personally think there's anything wrong with the team itself - if anything I think the job they've done to stay in f1 so long is highly commendable.

turbof1

It got reported by Scarbs that the 2015 chassis was largely the same spec as the 2014. During the first half of the 2015 season, their updates consisted largely of a new front wing, which went by largely unused. From the second part one, we suddenly saw more updates appearing on the car.

They probably had to pinch it during the first half due the settlement with vd Garde. Ecclestone had to give Sauber an advance on the price money. Price money is paid out each month from the first race until the last race. I can imagine that Sauber was really stripped of money for atleast several months.

They asked, like Force India, another advance on price money at the end of the 2015 season. I think their 2016 car will be a lot better, but their cash flow will be dry again for the first few months during the season.

Of course, that's if no other law suits are forcing them to compensate drivers. Sutil is rumored to have started his own law suit against the team, probably following the example set by Guido vd Garde. It might be nothing since he's a full year late with it, but that can be a serious threat to Sauber given they already have asked for an advance.
#AeroFrodo

Manoah2u

turbof1 wrote:. Sutil is rumored to have started his own law suit against the team, probably following the example set by Guido vd Garde. It might be nothing since he's a full year late with it, but that can be a serious threat to Sauber given they already have asked for an advance.
i think its actually the best move of Sutil to do so, as he's undoubtedly in a very strong position to be granted this money, and that it's a year late does not change the fact. I'd be inclined to say Sutil's lawyers might have advised him to wait until this year as the chances are last year would prove to big a financial choke for the hinwil-based outfit, and that if done last year chances would be bigger that he'd get less money. New year might result in him getting a similar arrangement as undertaken with the vdGarde affair, resulting in Sutil getting the full monty.

The problem with Sauber still seems to be the money problem [cashflow] and i think they really need to up their game and fix their results, running of operations, and their lack of sponsorship this year and fast, as i'm kind of suspecting that this will be the last year for Nasr being @ Sauber as i can see him move to another team in 2017. Williams or Force India would be my first thought. Perhaps Renault. And Marcus Ericsson brings some dough to the table but no talent, and i'm fairly convinced this is going to be his last year in F1.
On the other hand, Pastor Maldonado focusing on a 2017 F1 return could really see him @ Sauber in 2017. With PDVSA and perhaps another sponsor.

IF Nasr would stay at sauber i could definately see a Nasr-Maldonado combination @ Sauber come 2017.

Hell, i am almost certain that Marcus Ericsson has a well-arranged contract that guarantees him staying @ his seat this year. I don't know how much Marcus is bringing in, but i'm expecting Pastor to be able to bring in more , despite the Venezuelan scandals, PDVSA affairs and obvious cash flow problems of PDVSA which undoubtedly resulted in the ending of Pastor's '16 race contract - though it could be as simple as Renault having had the desire to ditch Pastor because of A) his 'performances' B) his reputation thanks to A, C) the reputation thanks to the affairs in Venezuela, D) combination of factors. If K-Mag's management offered them an acceptable financial offer compared to that of Pastor's, then it could very well be they simply took the opportunity or even sort of made the opportunity to quickly get rid of Pastor.

either way, i think marcus ericssons' contract is water-tight, especially based upon what happend at sauber before and that might be why pastor would come to sauber @ 2017 [ if at all ], instead of suddenly reading a message that Ericsson got ditched for Maldonado this season :mrgreen:

i must say, it would be in a sense absolutely histerically hilarious to see Maldonado 'confirmed' for Ericsson's Sauber seat :lol:

bigpat

I think Lotus showed last season what can be achieved in a season with a sound design, despite no real development. Their strength was understanding what they had, and maximising its potential. I think their season hinges on how good the car is that they roll out at the 2nd test. By the end of the flyaways, they will now whether wholesale changes ( money intensive), or gradual evolution will be the flavour of the season. Traditionally Saubers have a good reliability record, indicating sound engineering. Provided they can keep trucking along, they will collect points early on, which will determine their position in the teams championship.....

Just my opinion.....

turbof1

Manoah2u wrote:
turbof1 wrote:. Sutil is rumored to have started his own law suit against the team, probably following the example set by Guido vd Garde. It might be nothing since he's a full year late with it, but that can be a serious threat to Sauber given they already have asked for an advance.
i think its actually the best move of Sutil to do so, as he's undoubtedly in a very strong position to be granted this money, and that it's a year late does not change the fact. I'd be inclined to say Sutil's lawyers might have advised him to wait until this year as the chances are last year would prove to big a financial choke for the hinwil-based outfit, and that if done last year chances would be bigger that he'd get less money. New year might result in him getting a similar arrangement as undertaken with the vdGarde affair, resulting in Sutil getting the full monty.

The problem with Sauber still seems to be the money problem [cashflow] and i think they really need to up their game and fix their results, running of operations, and their lack of sponsorship this year and fast, as i'm kind of suspecting that this will be the last year for Nasr being @ Sauber as i can see him move to another team in 2017. Williams or Force India would be my first thought. Perhaps Renault. And Marcus Ericsson brings some dough to the table but no talent, and i'm fairly convinced this is going to be his last year in F1.
On the other hand, Pastor Maldonado focusing on a 2017 F1 return could really see him @ Sauber in 2017. With PDVSA and perhaps another sponsor.

IF Nasr would stay at sauber i could definately see a Nasr-Maldonado combination @ Sauber come 2017.

Hell, i am almost certain that Marcus Ericsson has a well-arranged contract that guarantees him staying @ his seat this year. I don't know how much Marcus is bringing in, but i'm expecting Pastor to be able to bring in more , despite the Venezuelan scandals, PDVSA affairs and obvious cash flow problems of PDVSA which undoubtedly resulted in the ending of Pastor's '16 race contract - though it could be as simple as Renault having had the desire to ditch Pastor because of A) his 'performances' B) his reputation thanks to A, C) the reputation thanks to the affairs in Venezuela, D) combination of factors. If K-Mag's management offered them an acceptable financial offer compared to that of Pastor's, then it could very well be they simply took the opportunity or even sort of made the opportunity to quickly get rid of Pastor.

either way, i think marcus ericssons' contract is water-tight, especially based upon what happend at sauber before and that might be why pastor would come to sauber @ 2017 [ if at all ], instead of suddenly reading a message that Ericsson got ditched for Maldonado this season :mrgreen:

i must say, it would be in a sense absolutely histerically hilarious to see Maldonado 'confirmed' for Ericsson's Sauber seat :lol:
Vd Garde evidently also had a water-tight contract, but nothing is ever certain at Sauber.

I do not believe we'll see Maldonado back. Atleast not because of PDVSA's backing; PDVSA is controlled by the government, and guess what: we recently had a change of power there, in the parliament, for the first time in 17 years, with the communist party kicked out. There will be a period of pulling between president Madura and parliament now, but I doubt any of the 2 parties will be bothered with accepting a new round of sponsoring Maldonado.
#AeroFrodo