2016 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Scuderia1967

Re: 2016 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

Jolle wrote:Well... thats not what you've said. It's also not the first investor who runs the team. You have a breed called "team owner" in Motorsport and they tent to run their own team. Plus, at least for now it's clear the investors are not going to run the team. I see no connection with Genii whatsoever.
I just gave an example of how an investment company buying a F1 team is not necessarily a good thing.

Jolle
Jolle

Scuderia1967 wrote:
Jolle wrote:Well... thats not what you've said. It's also not the first investor who runs the team. You have a breed called "team owner" in Motorsport and they tent to run their own team. Plus, at least for now it's clear the investors are not going to run the team. I see no connection with Genii whatsoever.
I just gave an example of how an investment company buying a F1 team is not necessarily a good thing.
One of the few F1 teams that isn't part of some investment companies catalogue is Ferrari... and they are doing great! :P

Scuderia1967

Jolle wrote:
Scuderia1967 wrote:
One of the few F1 teams that isn't part of some investment companies catalogue is Ferrari... and they are doing great! :P
Currently in second place in the constructors championship, 3rd and 4th in the drivers championship, been a championship contender in pretty much every season since 1997, yes they are doing fine. Much better than, say, McLaren, Williams or Renault...

bill shoe
bill shoe

I don't have a dog in the fight about investor-owner vs other owners, but...

Great observation that Ferrari currently has the longest streak of frontrunner status, since 1997 as mentioned.

I looked up data and was surprised. Ferrari has finished 4th or higher in Constructors every year since 1982. Incredible achievement. 34 consecutive years with no annual finish worse than 4th out of 10 to 14 teams. Has any other major sporting team finished in the top 40% of their sport every year since 1982?

dren

Jolle wrote:
GTO99 wrote:
dren wrote:They are retaining Kaltenborn...
...for the time being.
I don't think we've got enough information at the sideline to say if Sauber is still alive because or dispite of Kalterborn.
It looks like the reason why it took so long for Sauber to find funding is not due to interested parties, it was due to Kaltenborn wanting to retain her position. James Allen stated as much on his site.
Honda!

Pierce89

bill shoe wrote:I don't have a dog in the fight about investor-owner vs other owners, but...

Great observation that Ferrari currently has the longest streak of frontrunner status, since 1997 as mentioned.

I looked up data and was surprised. Ferrari has finished 4th or higher in Constructors every year since 1982. Incredible achievement. 34 consecutive years with no annual finish worse than 4th out of 10 to 14 teams. Has any other major sporting team finished in the top 40% of their sport every year since 1982?
Don't you read f1t? Ferrari is the crappiest team ever. lol
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bill shoe
bill shoe

Pierce89 wrote:Don't you read f1t? Ferrari is the crappiest team ever. lol
No, but I follow GPT quite a bit, it seems similar... :lol:

Jolle
Jolle

dren wrote:
Jolle wrote:
GTO99 wrote: ...for the time being.
I don't think we've got enough information at the sideline to say if Sauber is still alive because or dispite of Kalterborn.
It looks like the reason why it took so long for Sauber to find funding is not due to interested parties, it was due to Kaltenborn wanting to retain her position. James Allen stated as much on his site.
This would be very bad and quite foolish of Peter Sauber.

Phil

I dont think Peter Sauber would be that foolish. The most important points to him as always been to

1.) Retain the work place and jobs at Sauber
2.) Keep the brandname

There is no other reason to keep Kaltenborn, other than perhaps he trusts her ability to conginue his lifework.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

bill shoe
bill shoe

OMG, the Sauber investment may be falling through. Apparently, Kaltenborn only had one Formula 1 team to sell shares in, but she sold majority shareholdings to two different investment groups!!

Apparently, if either investor complains they will be banished from the paddock forever because they are merely pay-investors, rather than being in Formula 1 on pure investment merit.

skoop
skoop

bill shoe wrote:OMG, the Sauber investment may be falling through. Apparently, Kaltenborn only had one Formula 1 team to sell shares in, but she sold majority shareholdings to two different investment groups!!

Apparently, if either investor complains they will be banished from the paddock forever because they are merely pay-investors, rather than being in Formula 1 on pure investment merit.
Do you have a source for this?

wesley123
wesley123

Scuderia1967 wrote:I'm not sure this is good news: the last time an investment company bought an F1 team it was Genii, and we all know how that ended...
Genii was probably the sole one that actually attempted to do something with it. Finance was an issue as early as 2011, but Genii went through with it and managed to find a solid buyer and they actually improved the team's future with it.

I do get your point, though.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FW17

skoop wrote:
bill shoe wrote:OMG, the Sauber investment may be falling through. Apparently, Kaltenborn only had one Formula 1 team to sell shares in, but she sold majority shareholdings to two different investment groups!!

Do you have a source for this?

Maybe the same guy who wrote that Robin Frijns said Red Bull treats there drivers like dogs

sauberfan
sauberfan

Sauber will run the 2016 Ferrari again in 2017, according to german auto-motor-und-sport.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 65145.html

The article further hints that Sauber might become the first Honda costumer for 2018.

What do you think?

ME4ME

I guess it makes sense from a team perspective. They'll probably safe some money and have a solid foundation to build their car around, rather then the 2017 PU which Ferrari obviously designs as they see fit for their own purpuses. Notification of the final design will be confirmed as late as possible, which doensn't fit Saubers needs.

For the drivers however, this must be a let down. Nasr has been complaining for 2 years now that he doesn't have the machinery for him to be able to show his talent. To what extant that is true or not is debatable, but he does bring a lot of sponsorship money. Surely he will be looking to go elsewhere. Renault?