2016 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: 2016 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

I suspect at this end of a very competitive market, the crop and best of best is an extremely narrow field. I wouldnt suggest that the UK makes (educates) better engineers than other countries, but in order to grow people into this very specific segment, you need markets too. And in this there are not many.

I'm a computer programmer and when i was studying i would have loved to get into the gaming industry for instance. Not easily possible given there us no gamining industry to employ you here. I would assume the prospect of studying aerodynamics or engineer on the level that would be required to end up in F1 are rather limiting if you have only one single race team that offers very few jobs.

Now if you're into banking or pharma industry, i suspect you may have heaps opportunities here in switzerland. Our technical universities (specifically the ETH) are rather well known and highly regarded too, internationally.

Sadly, markets grow expertise, not the other way around. You need demand first. And the state is probably not interested to artificially create demand by investing into expertise as specialized like f1.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ChrisDanger

Picture of Sauber nose taken after FP3 at Silverstone. They may be in a better position financially but are still cutting costs, at least in the paint shop.

ChrisDanger

Monisha Kaltenborn wrote:"Existence is assured! What a relief. "
The Swiss investment company Longbow Finance SA has acquired 100% of Sauber Holding AG, which includes Sauber Motorsport AG.

http://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/schwe ... 85968.html

EDIT: Sauber tweet
https://twitter.com/SauberF1Team/status ... 9600645120

NL_Fer

Longbow Finance is funded by Tetra Laval (Tetra Pak) owned by Swedish Raussing family. So seems like Ericsson keeps his drive.

dren

They are retaining Kaltenborn...
Honda!

GTO99

dren wrote:They are retaining Kaltenborn...
...for the time being.

Jolle

GTO99 wrote:
dren wrote:They are retaining Kaltenborn...
...for the time being.
I don't think we've got enough information at the sideline to say if Sauber is still alive because or dispite of Kalterborn.

Scuderia1967

I'm not sure this is good news: the last time an investment company bought an F1 team it was Genii, and we all know how that ended...

Vasconia

Scuderia1967 wrote:I'm not sure this is good news: the last time an investment company bought an F1 team it was Genii, and we all know how that ended...
Investment companies have no pacience to build a serious project. They will try to gain some benefit and when they get it(or not), they will leave the team in a worse situation.

Pierce89

Scuderia1967 wrote:I'm not sure this is good news: the last time an investment company bought an F1 team it was Genii, and we all know how that ended...
Yeah, Lopez spent 100's of millions to keep a team on the grid. I, for one, am appreciative of Genii.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Sniffit

Besides it is owned by TetraPak and it is seems more then likely that it is their CEO Dennis Jönsson that is a huge racing fan that is behind this.

Jolle

Genii is/was the only one vocal about it. Most teams up and down the paddock are owned by investors. Aabar had a large stake in Mercedes GP, the Ojjah and the Bahrain Investment Company owns McLaren, Wolff enterprises owns HHP and until recently a bit of Williams, who themselves are traded on the stockmarket and Lost Boys is still a big player at FI, etc etc etc.

Scuderia1967

Pierce89 wrote:
Yeah, Lopez spent 100's of millions to keep a team on the grid. I, for one, am appreciative of Genii.
Oh, he spent millions alright: like hiring Raikkonen without having the money to pay him in the first place

Scuderia1967

Jolle wrote:
Genii is/was the only one vocal about it. Most teams up and down the paddock are owned by investors. Aabar had a large stake in Mercedes GP, the Ojjah and the Bahrain Investment Company owns McLaren, Wolff enterprises owns HHP and until recently a bit of Williams, who themselves are traded on the stockmarket and Lost Boys is still a big player at FI, etc etc etc.
I am fully aware that there are other investors in F1. The difference is those investors don't run the teams like Lopez did

Jolle

Well... thats not what you've said. It's also not the first investor who runs the team. You have a breed called "team owner" in Motorsport and they tent to run their own team. Plus, at least for now it's clear the investors are not going to run the team. I see no connection with Genii whatsoever.