2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

Robert Kubica set to test for Williams after Japanese Grand Prix - two days of testing

Chris Soulsby | Chris_Soulsby 3 October 2017
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/16030

Robert Kubica is set to undertake two days of testing with Williams in a bid to return to Formula 1 in 2018.
Kubica drove in F1 from 2006-2010 and was set to compete in the 2011 season for Lotus-Renault. A pre-season rally accident however, left the Polish racer with severe injuries and limited movement in his right arm, meaning that he has been absent from the grid for seven years.
Throughout the summer, Kubica undertook testing for Renault, driving a Lotus E20 at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit, Paul Ricard and at the Goodwood Festival of Speed before driving this season's R.S.17 at F1's in-season test at the Hunagroring.
With Renault recently signing Carlos Sainz Jr for 2018, a return to the Estone-based outfit has been ruled out and the 32 year old is now in the frame for a drive with Williams next season to replace the ageing Felipe Massa.
Kubica is said to have two testing days with the team after the Japanese Grand Prix, the first of which will be at Silverstone before heading to the Hungaroring for an assessment test, although Williams has refused to comment.
At the second test in Hungary, the team will conduct two days of running, with Kubica driving on one of the days and reserve driver Paul di Resta driving on the other, acting as a benchmark to test Kubica's pace and performance.

Di Resta is also said to be in the frame for a drive with Williams in 2018 after impressing the team at this season's Hungarian Grand Prix where he stepped in for an unwell Massa, qualifying only 0.7 seconds behind Lance Stroll despite having no experience of driving the 2017 FW40 prior to that session.
Kubica's arm injury from his 2011 accident is one of the biggest concerns that is preventing a full-time return to a Formula 1 cockpit, with the aggressive aerodynamics of the 2017 cars making the machines more demanding to drive, explaining why extensive testing is needed before a decision can be made regarding his future.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

According to Roberto Chinchero Italian Sky:
11th October, Silverstone, Kubica's first test
16-17th October, Hungaroring, Kubica drives first day, Di Resta 2nd day

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

[media]https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 9822258176[/media]

https://streamable.com/3rc1s

..."New footage of Sebastian Vettel's collision with Lance Stroll after the Malaysia GP has emerged and been published by Sky Sports F1.

The fresh camera angles, which were not available for examination by the Sepang stewards when they investigated the crash, are from on-board Stroll's Williams car and seemingly exonerate the teenager from blame - while asking fresh questions about Vettel's post-race manoeuvre.

The footage shows that Stroll maintains a consistent turn through Turn Five at Sepang and then sharpened his steering angle away from the overtaking Vettel when the Ferrari drew up alongside him.

Analysing the new pictures at the Skypad with Sky F1 colleague Anthony Davidson, Johnny Herbert concluded: "Sebastian has effectively driven into him."

A concurring Davidson added: "One thing that is for sure is that Stroll isn't to blame at all, we can conclude that from the new footage."

The Malaysia GP stewards ruled that 'no driver was wholly or predominantly to blame for the incident and will therefore take no further action'.

It is understood the new footage was only able to be retrieved once Formula One Management gained physical access to the camera which had been on-board Stroll's car in Malaysia."...

Squid
Squid

Maintains a consistent, widening turn while slowing down from 4th gear to 3rd gear with a car approaching in his right side...

I agree with the stewards decision, truly no driver was fully to blame, but to imply that Stroll isn't to blame at all is ridiculous, and the same applies to Vettel. Both of them displayed a lack of track awareness and respect for each other's space.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

can't see that due to location restriction BS. god i hate that.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:13
try this one : https://streamable.com/3rc1s

turbof1

Squid wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 12:34
Maintains a consistent, widening turn while slowing down from 4th gear to 3rd gear with a car approaching in his right side...

I agree with the stewards decision, truly no driver was fully to blame, but to imply that Stroll isn't to blame at all is ridiculous, and the same applies to Vettel. Both of them displayed a lack of track awareness and respect for each other's space.
Yeah agreed.

I have to note though how close to Stroll Seb tried to pass. When we see later in the video the mclaren overtaking the Williams, it was with a large amount of space between the mclaren and the williams.

The crash looks so meaningless, so random. Each time I am seeing the footage, one word pops up: "why"
#AeroFrodo

Squid
Squid

turbof1 wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:30
Squid wrote:

Yeah agreed.

I have to note though how close to Stroll Seb tried to pass. When we see later in the video the mclaren overtaking the Williams, it was with a large amount of space between the mclaren and the williams.

The crash looks so meaningless, so random. Each time I am seeing the footage, one word pops up: "why"
Agreed 100%. It's like everyone's brains turned off at that moment. Vettel looked more focused on the curve than watching what Stroll was doing while getting closer and closer, while Stroll was constantly looking to his left and never checked his right side while drifting to it...

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

turbof1 wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:30
Squid wrote:

Yeah agreed.

Agreed. That was my immediate responce on Sunday.

Unfortunately it's a 'why' aimed at Vet. If I were in his shoes I would be staying miles away from everyone.

Look at the starts of both Singapore and Malaysia.
Vet goes all death or glory. Ham isn't about to scrap with anyone.
Vet needs to be smarter.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

WEHRLEIN EMERGES AS CONTENDER FOR WILLIAMS SEAT
Published on 05 Oct 2017 15:19

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2320 ... liams-seat

Pascal Wehrlein has emerged as a fourth candidate to become Lance Stroll's teammate at Williams next year. Earlier, reports circulated that Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta will go head-to-head in unofficial 'shootout' tests later this month. But Bild newspaper quotes Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff as saying: "I think Williams is talking to four drivers. "(They are) Robert, Paul, Felipe and Pascal."

Kubica's high-profile hopes could get a boost this weekend at Suzuka, with his co-manager Nico Rosberg in the paddock on television commentary duties for broadcaster Sky. But Wolff also referred to German Wehrlein, who is in danger of losing his Sauber seat next year as the Swiss team looks to bring in Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc.

Earlier, it was believed Mercedes-backed Wehrlein had been ruled out by Williams, as team sponsor Martini wanted at least one 2018 driver to be over the age of 25.

But Auto Bild reports that Williams has "confirmed that the use of a driver over 25 is not a contractual commitment". The report explained that at the few countries on the F1 calendar where the legal alcohol consumption age is 25, test driver di Resta could stand in as a PR representative. (GMM)

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Squid
Squid

But Auto Bild reports that Williams has "confirmed that the use of a driver over 25 is not a contractual commitment". The report explained that at the few countries on the F1 calendar where the legal alcohol consumption age is 25, test driver di Resta could stand in as a PR representative. (GMM)
Oh, interesting. This opens up a pretty big array of possibilities. Wehrlein might have a shot at a 2018 seat after all.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

LookBackTime wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:20
Manoah2u wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:13
try this one : https://streamable.com/3rc1s
perfect thanks a lot :!: 8)
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"