2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Stalker1

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

Mentoring Lance was probably a clause in the Massas contract! :D

Webber2011

I for one am really happy that Williams are starting to attract new employees with good credentials, and vast experience.

They have always been my favourite team, since way back when as just a young bloke, I watched Alan Jones win his Championship with them.
I hope the Stroll money makes a difference and they can be back to fighting for podiums, OR even wins in the future ! ! !

I do fear however, (as some have already mentioned), that it will be hard to get to the Winning Stage again as an engine customer, but what else can they do apart from keep the best engine on the grid in the back ?

NathanOlder

All I can see is for them to attract a new engine supplier in. Try and get Toyota back or BMW. just think in 5 years time they could be pushing at the front.

Imagine

Mercedes Mercedes
Ferrari Ferrari
Red Bull VW
Mclaren Honda
Renault Renault
Williams BMW
Force India Toyota.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

As I said in another thread, i could actually see them taking on Honda turning into Williams - Honda. That would however still make them a 'customer' vs Mclaren as the 'Works' team, so they'll never beat Mclaren.

Williams are not in position to be even close to fighting for a title for the next 3-4 years i'd say. As of 2020, anything could be open, but only if there would be a new or expanded engine formula.
In any case, Williams can't have a customer engine would they want to reach WDC or WCC achievements. If they settle for less, like they have done in the last few years, they then should go for the best option available, and that is exactly what they have right now: Mercedes.
Only if Honda will provide cheaper engines or BETTER engines than Mercedes will they switch. I can see that happening in the coming years though. But then, if 2020 is only 3 seasons away, and there might be a manufacturer stepping in - not unfathomable with the new owners that surely will aim for getting more manufacturers aboard - then surely they should and would opt for a unassigned manufacturer with some potential. I don't think Toyota will repeat their stint of before, and surely won't invest as much as before, so i don't think that's the direction to go for.

However, a Porsche engine would fit them rather well. They've been with BMW before, and it might be a funny reunion, but if i had to guess, i'd say BMW would go with Mclaren - thus opening the door for Honda. Renault has their own works team, so nope. Cosworth is not gonna be WDC material either i'd say, UNLESS they get full backing and partnership from Ford mothership - which i don't see happening as their aim lies with LM and WEC.

So really, i can only see 2 options. Porsche/Honda.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote: So really, i can only see 2 options. Porsche/Honda.
Williams Martini Porsche

Now that's sexy... =D>

Stalker1

Williams main problem is not the power unit supplier or money (never enough, but with Strolls onboard they do not have to worry anymore about paying bills...), but chassis design.

Manoah2u

I doubt that. Williams was the first to bring that super-small gearbox and then briging the extreme wasp-like rear end, which goes a bit into the realm of the unknown due to the mandated dimensions of the engine cover iirc.

also, williams had a great chassis for 2014. the engine helped a serious lot, but still then, they did outstanding. the steps off the ladder for Williams started with the mandated change for the nose as of 2015. they designed their car philosophy around what they had for 2014. the 2015 change had a big impact on their overall package. i remember vividly various articles about this regarding williams. they got hampered there rather hard, and it makes no sense then completely redesigning it for 2016 knowing 2017 will need another total do-over, so they most likely just went for the best and settled with it, aiming for a 2017 'fix'.

The williams has been also notoriously hard to overtake and very very good on the straights, so i'd say they are doing rather fine since 2014.

the danger is however that they might go into the wrong direction as of 2017 design-wise.
I hope they don't, as i do like williams, but then i dislike the direction they are taking with their drivers.

I personally don't think Paddy Lowe is that 'big of a deal', i do however think he's very able and capable of taking an existing (good to very very good) platform and fine-tuning it and reading it to get everything they can from it, which would make him the right man for the Job. i don't think however he's the best person to 'design' a car 'from scratch' if you may. I think he'll be at Williams 2 maybe 3 years tops and then head to Ferrari.
I do see the combination of people heading and now working for Williams as very potential people, i don't think they are the right people for the long run however.

but i'd like to be shown otherwise through results.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u

WaikeCU wrote:
Manoah2u wrote: So really, i can only see 2 options. Porsche/Honda.
Williams Martini Porsche

Now that's sexy... =D>
Absolutely, and fit the image of F1 luxury and prestige which surely Martini embraces more than f.e. Honda.

Sevach

Manoah2u wrote:I doubt that. Williams was the first to bring that super-small gearbox and then briging the extreme wasp-like rear end, which goes a bit into the realm of the unknown due to the mandated dimensions of the engine cover iirc.

also, williams had a great chassis for 2014. the engine helped a serious lot, but still then, they did outstanding. the steps off the ladder for Williams started with the mandated change for the nose as of 2015. they designed their car philosophy around what they had for 2014. the 2015 change had a big impact on their overall package. i remember vividly various articles about this regarding williams. they got hampered there rather hard, and it makes no sense then completely redesigning it for 2016 knowing 2017 will need another total do-over, so they most likely just went for the best and settled with it, aiming for a 2017 'fix'.

The williams has been also notoriously hard to overtake and very very good on the straights, so i'd say they are doing rather fine since 2014.

the danger is however that they might go into the wrong direction as of 2017 design-wise.
I hope they don't, as i do like williams, but then i dislike the direction they are taking with their drivers.

I personally don't think Paddy Lowe is that 'big of a deal', i do however think he's very able and capable of taking an existing (good to very very good) platform and fine-tuning it and reading it to get everything they can from it, which would make him the right man for the Job. i don't think however he's the best person to 'design' a car 'from scratch' if you may. I think he'll be at Williams 2 maybe 3 years tops and then head to Ferrari.
I do see the combination of people heading and now working for Williams as very potential people, i don't think they are the right people for the long run however.

but i'd like to be shown otherwise through results.
The lost a lot to the new nose rules, and also with engines becoming more powerful and efficient the bet on low drag started being less advantageous.

The fact that he's part owner and team boss make me confident that Lowe has a long future with Williams, he won't get this status with Ferrari or any rich team, it will be going back to his Mercedes/Mclaren status of technical director.
Also F1 is a fickle bussiness, it will have a new darling tech chief in no time, in 3 years Lowe will be old news unless he is very successful at Williams.

He's not Adrian Newey we agree on that, that's why the team is bringing extra hands to help him.

These new guys won't have a time to influence the 2017 car and Williams might face a transition year, which is a bad thing with new regulations coming, you want to be good from the go... so the timing of the moves isn't quite perfect.

LookBackTime

Changing of the old guard
by Mark Hughes on 1st February 2017

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini ... -old-guard

"By contrast Paddy is a meticulous scientist, driven by numbers, incredibly analytical and process-driven. He works brilliantly well within a group, methodically piecing everything together with an engineer’s rigour and even when he’s in charge there is no friction. Though that group numbers hundreds of people, Lowe is very effective in not letting it sprawl. He retains an intimate grasp of the car’s technical philosophy, from its mechanical layout to its aerodynamics. Despite the seniority of his position, he has still played a key part in determining the technical direction. He’s calm and mild-mannered, but there is a ruthlessly ambitious streak within him. When Wolff offered the opportunity of joining him at Mercedes for a more senior role than his McLaren technical directorship there was apparently no hesitation – even though the position of Ross Brawn was at that stage far from resolved. "

"Williams has rightly played hardball in its negotiations with Mercedes over Bottas. Rumours of a €20 million settlement, if true, would be ample to allow Williams to make the necessary upgrades. "
It is a must read for F1 lovers!

Sevach

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/willi ... ng-872124/

Article about the new guy from Mclaren.

bill shoe

LookBackTime wrote:Changing of the old guard
by Mark Hughes on 1st February 2017

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini ... -old-guard

It is a must read for F1 lovers!
The article also has an excellent summary of Williams' current situation --
The team uncomfortably straddles two models at the moment and is arguably has the worst of both worlds: too big and bulky as an independent compared to Force India/Haas (700 employees compared to 360 at Force India, 200 at Haas). But it hasn’t got the technical horsepower of a big team.

LookBackTime

F1 2017 optimists have 'rocks in their heads', Patrick Head feels

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... heir-heads

Stalker1

LookBackTime wrote:F1 2017 optimists have 'rocks in their heads', Patrick Head feels

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... heir-heads
Heads thougts are worth reading through. I agree with him on the issue what F1 really needs - is it improved racing in terms of more overtaking and more interesting races or we need quicker cars? I see F1 as a pinnacle of motorsport, so I think the technical improvements and overall speed are more important.