2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

LookBackTime

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/852941092827918336 Lance Stroll's burning feet in F1 practice were 'killing me'
By Edd Straw @eddstrawF1 Published on Friday April 14th 2017

Lance Stroll had to get out of his Williams Formula 1 car earlier than planned at the end of Bahrain Grand Prix practice because his overheating feet were "killing me".

The Williams driver completed 36 laps in the session, but was struggling with high temperature in the area of his feet causing discomfort.

The temperature was not high enough to cause any injury and Stroll was able to head to the post-session engineering debrief without any need for treatment

The Williams team is investigating the problem and trying to address the problem of Stroll not being entirely comfortable in his seat.

"There was some burning in my feet, I don't know if something was wrong, I was burning like crazy" said Stroll.

"I need to see what it was, but I had to get out of the car because it was just killing me. I just wanted to get out of there."

Stroll pulled into the pits at the end of the session rather than continuing for another lap to complete a planned virtual safety car test.

This means that the problem did not affect his serious running in the session or any track time under green flag conditions.

"I needed to jump out of the car, it was really, really painful," said Stroll.

"I tried to bring it to the end [of the session] but when I was told to do another lap for the virtual safety car I said 'I really cannot do it, sorry'."

Stroll admitted that the second practice session was a negative one despite a strong run in the first 90-minute session.

He was sixth fastest in the first session, 1.625s off pacesetter Sebastian Vettel's time, and 16th in the second, albeit only a further four-tenths off top spot.

"FP1 was really good, getting into it quickly, feeling good with the car," said Stroll.

"It's just FP2 that was the only negative really. All session, I was really struggling with the car.

"FP2 was a bit of a bizarre session."

LookBackTime

BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX PRACTICE
14 APR 2017

FP1
Weather: Hot and dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 36-38C / 38-48C
F Massa, FW40-03, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:34.246 (5th)
L Stroll, FW40-02, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:34.322 (6th)
Quickest time: S. Vettel (1:32.697)

FP2
Weather: Hot and dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 30-36C / 31-37C
F Massa, FW40-03, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:32.079 (7th)
L Stroll, FW40-02, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:33.361 (16th)
Quickest time: S. Vettel 1:33.310

Paddy Lowe: Well this was a big contrast weather wise from China! It’s extremely hot here, with incredibly high surface temperatures on the track in FP1 especially. We first ran on the Medium and I think we were similar to all the other teams in finding that a very difficult tyre. Remarkably, it’s roughly two to three seconds slower than the Soft compound tyre, which we fitted just after. So that’s an interesting result which will need to be understood. On the Soft tyres both cars performed reasonably well. It was particularly great for Lance who set his first purple sector of his Formula One career in Sector 1 during the session. Unfortunately, Felipe had a brake failure at the end of FP1, which was due to an issue that we have now understood and resolved. Then we went into FP2, which is our main practice for qualifying and the race due to the evening conditions. Both drivers ran on the Soft and Supersoft tyres on low and high fuel. Felipe’s performance in particular was very strong, on every run. In contrast Lance struggled throughout the session, which wasn’t the case in FP1. So we need to understand that ahead of tomorrow. Overall, I think it was a good day and we will do our work tonight and see what we can achieve in qualifying tomorrow.

Felipe Massa: It was a positive day. I’m happy with the performance of the car on the new tyres and especially the old tyres as it’s quite consistent with race simulation. We’ve shown quite reasonable performance today. We need to concentrate on everything we’ve done this evening and prepare the car even better for tomorrow evening, as well as Sunday. I’m really looking forward to a good weekend.

Lance Stroll: In FP1 I got into the car and immediately felt very comfortable and confident. In FP2 I was struggling with the car and we have to see if anything was wrong with it, but no worries as this was only practice. Then at the end of the session there was some burning in my feet. We will have to investigate to see what it was as I had to get out of the car. The positives are getting into the car in FP1 and feeling good, but we need to see what happened in FP2 as it seemed a bit of a bizarre session.

LookBackTime

published one more time - quite interesting info I think :wink:

Claire offered below info (from F1 Team Principals conference):

- Dirk de Beer is starting to have an impact on the aero department
- very happy to have him
- Dirk de Beer is the man behind 2017 Ferrari aero design

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQjqLiLH_B4

Morteza

LookBackTime wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 21:58

- very happy to have him

Here's an interview with her on Formula1.com (It was done after the press conference, I guess):

Claire Williams Q&A - Stroll showing has been ‘phenomenal’
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sevach

LookBackTime wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 21:58

- very happy to have him

Both Ferrari and Lotus always had quite creative stuff under his leadership, i hope Paddy sets him loose and lets him go crazy.

I don't know if it was Symonds or the former aero chief, but Williams has been quite conservative in the way they evolve their cars recently(both through the season and the next car).

LookBackTime

Transcript from Press Conference:

..."Since you were last here there has also been a major overhaul of your senior technical staff. Tell us a little bit about the background of that and also what influence Paddy Lowe has had and your expectations of him.

CW: There hasn’t been a massive overhaul; we still have most people in play. You’re probably talking about our two most significant hires over the past… that we hired a while ago but who have just come into the team over the past few months. So, starting with our new head of aero, Dirk de Beer, who joined us now many weeks ago actually and who has already had a significant impact in our aero team and is doing a fantastic job and obviously the car he designed won the first race this year, so that’s a real positive for us. And then obviously Paddy. His arrival into the team has been hugely motivational more than anything so far. Obviously it’s going to take a bit of time for him to embed himself in the team and to found out where the true weaknesses are and to start rectifying those. Just having somebody of Paddy’s calibre, I suppose, join our team is not only a message for everybody out there, looking and seeing where our ambitions are, but also it’s a huge motivating force for everyone within Williams to know that the board at Williams is hugely ambitious about our future and we want somebody of Paddy’s calibre to come and help turn our fortunes around."...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bahr ... ce-893963/

edu2703

Good job Williams...Behind Renault, good job!

LookBackTime

edu2703 wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 19:04
You have to be a little patient! Takes a little time to build the team.

edu2703

edu2703 wrote:
What? -1? Why are you guys downvoting this comment? I said 'Good job'! That's a compliment, right? Could be worse.
Good, you can read the time sheets.
Oh, c'mon! Sorry to have hurt your feelings. I just wanted to bring a little bit of reality to this topic, since some people here prefer to live in the world of illusions, which is much better than reality, I agree.

Sevach

edu2703 wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 19:30
Good, you can read the time sheets.
Oh, c'mon! Sorry to have hurt your feelings. I just wanted to bring a little bit of reality to this topic, since some people here prefer to live in the world of illusions, which is much better than reality, I agree.
Here is a reality you apparently don't understand... The other teams on the grid aren't trying to reserve a sacred place for Williams on top of the midfield, Renault is a team with more resources than Williams, in Shanghai, if you were paying attention, Hulkenberg qualified just 1 tenth behind Massa, so this isn't any surprise, humiliation or anything of sorts, just normal competition.

Your posts don't contribute in any way, and this website allows people to rate such posts as they deserve it.

Anyways, solid performance from Massa, Stroll clearly not ready for this level again.

edu2703

LookBackTime wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 19:17
edu2703 wrote:
You have to be a little patient! Takes a little time to build the team.
'Little patient'. Okay, let's recap. Last year, Williams stopped the development of the car to focus on this year's car.

This year, Williams ran with low fuel to impress in the preseason tests (As always), and as always, the same idiots believed that was the real performance of car.

The car seems to be the same shitbox from last year, just adapted to the new rules. Williams seems to have stopped in time since 2015 when the subject is 'car development'.

What I think? Williams (again) will stop the development of this year's car to focus on development of 2018 car. And as it happened this year, with no guarantee of improvement.

Sorry, my patience is over. This team became a joke. The car is bad, the line-up too. Can it get worse?

edu2703

Sevach wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 19:51
Your posts don't contribute in any, and this website allows people to rate such posts as they deserve it. Anyways, solid performance from Massa, Stroll clearly not ready for this level again.
I think no comment contribute to anything. Everyone here gives your opinion. I don't think anyone who works at Williams is reading these comments.

I always think is possible extract more from Williams' car, remembering that Bottas destroyed Massa in the qualifyings last year. Sadly, Clarie Williams prefers to give opportunities to old drivers rather than promising young drivers. I think it's for your charity program. What a shame!

Sevach

edu2703 wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 20:10
Sevach wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 19:51
Your posts don't contribute in any, and this website allows people to rate such posts as they deserve it. Anyways, solid performance from Massa, Stroll clearly not ready for this level again.
I think no comment contribute to anything. Everyone here gives your opinion. I don't think anyone who works at Williams is reading these comments.

I always think is possible extract more from Williams' car, remembering that Bottas destroyed Massa in the qualifyings last year. Sadly, Clarie Williams prefers to give opportunities to old drivers rather than promising young drivers. I think it's for your charity program. What a shame!
Contribute to the discussion, of course we aren't contributing to Williams itself, the last time i contributed to Williams is when i bought a T-shirt and i'm well aware of that.

Your post didn't even contain an opinion just some passive aggressive sarcasm(and in my view out of place), it doesn't bring any discussion forward.

Honestly, over the last couple of years i always wondered, "how good is Bottas really?", could a Fernando Alonso be winning the odd race right now?

Now that i see that at least in pure speed he's up there, i'm not too worried about how much Massa is giving away in pure speed, normal conditions... and yes, there are drivers i would rather have instead of Felipe.

Lance however...