2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Sevach

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mass ... gp-929320/

Felipe's take of the Austrian weekend, it does ease the concerns about the updates a bit.

LookBackTime

Caterpillar cam #BritishGP 🇬🇧 #F1

bdr529

LookBackTime wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 11:56
Caterpillar cam #BritishGP 🇬🇧 #F1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEr3MsJXoAEckGm.jpg:large
You really meant to say JCB and not Caterpillar :wink:

LookBackTime

BRITISH GP PRACTICE
14 JUL 2017

FP1
Weather: Mild and dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 15-17°C / 21-32°C
F Massa, FW40-03, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:30.999 (8th)
L Stroll, FW40-02, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:31.684 (15th)
Quickest time: V. Bottas 1:29.106

FP2
Weather: Mild and dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 17-18°C / 30-34°C
F Massa, FW40-03, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:30.006 (8th)
L Stroll, FW40-02, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:30.695 (15th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton 1:05.483

Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: It’s great to be back at Silverstone, and it’s good to have some dry weather to complete our programme. In FP1 we did some tests with some different aerodynamic configurations. Unfortunately, we damaged some parts on both cars because of hitting the kerb at Turn 9, so that lost us a few laps with both Felipe and Lance. In FP2 we were able to complete all of our running on the different tyres. The pace looks encouraging on both low and high fuel. For Lance, Silverstone is one of the more difficult circuits to learn. But we’re pleased with the progress that he’s been able to make throughout the day. Qualifying is what matters though, so we’ll see what more we can do overnight.

Felipe Massa: It was a normal Friday, with no problems related to what we had in Austria. Everything was working in the normal way and I was happy with the balance of the car. With the tyres, we were able to get them working on the first lap, and everything with the car felt normal. The car feels competitive in the way it should be, so on the whole it was a good Friday.

Lance Stroll: This is a great track to drive, the grip is high and the car is a lot of fun around here. It was not a bad day, but there are a few things to improve on from my side. We were just testing the limits, as, with the high grip, when the car goes it goes quite aggressively. The car feels more competitive than in Austria, and we have improved the balance since then, which is positive looking at what Felipe did. All in all it seems like a positive day. I think it’s going to be quite tight in the mid group tomorrow, so I am going to have to improve on a few things overnight. However, I am confident we have a good car so am looking forward to tomorrow.

Craigy

LookBackTime wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 17:27
yada yada yada

FP2
Quickest time: L. Hamilton 1:05.483

yada yada yada
No.

LookBackTime

Williams back to pre-Austria form, says Massa
By: Adam Cooper, F1 Reporter

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... ce-930529/

Felipe Massa believes that Williams has overcome the problems the team suffered in Austria after a strong performance on the opening day at Silverstone.

The Brazilian was ninth-fastest in Friday's opening practice session and eighth in FP2, despite a spectacular spin in the latter session.

Massa and teammate Lance Stroll were running different aero packages from the start, with a mix of new and old parts.

Matters were further complicated when both men suffered damage when they ran wide at Copse in the morning, forcing further changes to their respective set-ups.

“It was good,” said Massa. “It was not really like the other track, like in Austria. Everything was quite normal to warm up the tyres. I did my best lap on the first lap on the tyres without any problems.

"That’s definitely positive. The long run feels OK, so everything really went in a good direction, like we had before Austria.

“We started with the new package, both cars. But then I damaged my parts, and Lance damaged his parts. We are quite on the limit with the parts, so we just put back the old ones for the second session, and we should go back to the new ones tomorrow, hopefully.”

However, Massa admitted it was frustrating that the team suffered floor damage for the second Friday in a row.

“For sure the last race it was more to the track, I was coming back very slowly, and then I just took something that was outside the track which damaged the car," he said.

"This one we damaged it exactly in the same place, exit of Turn 9 [Copse], where outside of the kerb there is a little thing there where it’s quite easy to damage the car. Unfortunately it was not great.”

Massa was also the subject of an impeding investigation after he held up Max Verstappen in the closing stages of FP2, but no further action was taken.

“Actually my engineer told me was on the out lap," recalled Massa. "I had a lot of traffic in the front, so that’s what I backed off, and he was on his out lap. But then he pushed at the end to try to pass me.

"If he was on his timed lap I would not do that definitely, it was just because he was slow on his out lap, and I just held him like everybody is doing on the out lap anyway.”