2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

HUNGARY TEST DAY ONE
01 AUG 2017

Driver: Lance Stroll
Chassis / Engine: FW40-02 / Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+
Weather: Warm and dry
Maximum air and track temperature: 35ºC / 55ºC

Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer: We completed a lot of tests today, completing 15 runs and 138 laps. We worked on mechanical set-up and some set-up directions that we’ve been developing through the day, which is very interesting. We also did some systems work for the future, which we hope to bring racing at some stage in the season, and we put some miles on components that, again, we hope to be racing in the near future, so a pretty successful day. There were quite difficult conditions as it was relatively cool this morning but then it got pretty hot by the middle of the morning. It’s quite difficult to get the best out of testing in those kind of conditions but I think we did a reasonably good job and as usual, we’ve got masses of data to trawl through to get some results out of.

Lance Stroll: We tried some new stuff and it was good to have more time in the seat. It was warm, it was a hot day and it’s physical around here so it’s good training. We need to see if what we tested here today works in Spa, we need more running with the new parts to see if they work but Spa should definitely suit our car with longer straights so I’m looking forward to it.

WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING returns to the track tomorrow with Luca Ghiotto at the wheel of the FW40.

LookBackTime

WILLIAMS CONSIDERING DI RESTA FOR 2018 DRIVE
Published on 02 Aug 2017 16:32
by Chris Soulsby

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2298 ... 2018-drive

Williams' Paddy Lowe has revealed that the team is considering Paul di Resta for a drive at the team for next season. This follows an impressive performance from the Scotsman at the Hungarian Grand Prix where he stood in for Felipe Massa who fell ill during the weekend.

90 minutes before qualifying, di Resta was called up to drive the Williams FW40. Having no experience of driving a car with a new specification 2017 chassis and having limited running in a car powered by a V6 Hybrid power unit, di Resta looked set for a difficult session and a difficult weekend. However, he impressively qualified in 19th place, ahead of Sauber's Marcus Ericsson and was only seven tenths of a second slower than Lance Stroll. In the race he enjoyed a fairly competitive run before retiring with a technical issue.

This impressed Williams, and Paddy Lowe has since hinted that di Resta could make a return to F1 after being absent for three years. “We’re very open-minded about what we’re going to do for next year anyway. Being open-minded, we’ll consider all options,” he said. “I think he’s done his reputation no end of good this weekend. I noticed that Mercedes said they might give him the same call, and that’s the situation.

“We have unfortunately got the prospect of less destinations for accomplished drivers in the future with the position of LMP1 and DTM, which are really two of the next tier motorsports for conscious Formula 1 drivers," he added. “We’ve got a bit of a problem on the horizon with a lack of destinations for drivers that don’t quite make it into Formula 1."

With Stroll looking set to remain with the team for a second year, it is most likely Felipe Massa that di Resta could replace, although it is understood that Williams is considering keeping the Brazilian driver for another season because of the level of experience he can offer.

LookBackTime

HUNGARY TEST DAY TWO
02 AUG 2017

Driver: Luca Ghiotto
Chassis / Engine: FW40-02 / Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+
Weather: Warm and dry
Maximum air and track temperature: 36ºC / 53ºC

Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer: On the second day of the test here in Hungary we had Luca in the car. We had a very optimistic program and we more than achieved everything we set out to do so I’m very pleased with the way the day went. We started off doing some short runs, doing some chassis work in the morning on new tyres and then they rolled into long runs in the afternoon. Luca was pretty quick and consistent which is exactly what we needed. He gave very good feedback and we’re very pleased with the results we got from today.

Luca Ghiotto: What can I say other than first of all, I have to say a big thank you to Williams and everyone that made this possible because I have been working on this since I started racing. It was unbelievable and now that the day is over, I can say it has been more unbelievable than I thought it could have been. I am really happy about today, especially because I can see the team is happy about the work we’ve done, all the things we’ve tested have worked out well and we were good, we could feel all the changes we made. The car is unbelievable to drive and of course it took me a lot to adapt to such a great car. I did many laps which I’m surprised about. I couldn’t believe I could do 161 laps which is a lot, especially on such a tight track on a hot day, so yeah, I am really, really happy about the whole day. It was a shame we couldn’t do a laptime on the supersoft tyres because of the red flag at the end but still, considering all the tyres we ran and the conditions, I am really happy and also from what I saw, the team is happy with everything as well.

LookBackTime

DHL Fastest Pit Stop Award: Williams enter the summer break in style

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... ngary.html

LookBackTime

Lowe ‘very disappointed’ with Williams
Date published: August 7 2017

http://www.planetf1.com/news/lowe-very- ... -williams/

Williams technical director Paddy Lowe has said both he and the entire team are "very disappointed" with how he 2017 season has gone so far.

Williams are fifth in the Constructors' Championship and, like last season, find themselves behind Force India as the 'best of the rest'.

Lance Stroll delievered a memorable podium spot for the team in Baku, but Lowe is not happy with the overall points haul.

"Definitely at the half-term report stage we’re not looking as good as we’d like. We’re very disappointed, the car is quicker than that points table would reflect," said Lowe.

"I think one of our biggest problems has been that we haven’t been scoring the points we should have done at the track with our speed of car. That’s for a number of different reasons.

"On top of that, we’ve seen a lot of variation from circuit to circuit. There are places that we significantly underperform and we really need to have a car that will perform more equally at different destinations, so that’s a big focus for next year."

Interesting!!!

Let's remember this

"
After Silverstone there was a tough verbal confrontation between Lawrence Stroll and Paddy Lowe, Williams technical director. Lance's dad, grove sponsor of the Grove team, had complained of the inadequate competitiveness of the FW40, which in the last races has made an incredible jump back since the introduction of the new aerodynamic package that did not seem to have worked according to expectations.
"
source: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/test- ... io-937611/

and

Wolff on Wehrlein’s future: Interesting things to come"

http://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-on-w ... s-to-come/

and if we add the latest one:

"Some rumors are whispering around that Lawrence Stroll is unhappy with Williams and might be looking at buying into Force India."

Something is cooking. No smoke without fire!

AnthonyG

I can't help but have the impression that Williams in general is not cunning enough. They obviously make an OK car design, but then miss out on innovations other teams dare to prioritize, like interconnected suspension or flexing wings within the limits.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Manoah2u

I don't think Paddy Lowe is in the position to moan around at others. He should look at himself first.
Stroll does good enough, really, and he's bringing through his dad a ginormeous amount of money of which i'm sure is the reason Lowe can be there.
I also have wondered all along just how much of an impact Lowe has had on the dominating Mercedes.
The Williams cars were doing pretty fine before he showed up, and they're spiraling downwards. It's clear that's not driver cause, they're actually improving.
So it's nothing but the car in itself, Williams has the best pitstops, so i'm hardly to blame them or the mechanics as i'm sure they're doing their job very well.
If there really was a fight, it seems Lowe could be stirring the pot like has happened at Mercedes before. who knows.

And there is no way Stroll will leave because of Lowe. Lowe will leave because of stroll.

It would be bad news for Williams if it happens, Stroll to Force India, that's a big blow to them. Wehrlein is p*ss poor and i dare say i hold Stroll a lot higher than him.
Also, Wehrlein is the biggest hothead diva in the field it has been mentioned. Not an improvement at all.

It could have been very different if Massa's Williams had not given way in Baku, that could have been a win possibly, who knows. that would have been 25 more points.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Mr Brooksy

This whole situation with Daddy Stroll smells awfully like the typical big CEO finding that their company is not meeting company projections. They throw more cash at it expecting results and fast whereas the root cause is usually not money it's culture.

How the heck is Paddy Lowe (like him or not) supposed to change the culture of a prototype technology/racing car team that has been stagnant for the better part of a decade under various TDs in 7 months?

As a leadership consultant myself who operates in Asia (which is often said to be impervious to cultural change... Which it isn't) you can not expect to throw money at a cultural issue within a business and expect everything to fall into place especially in 7 months.

Add to that, F1 is ever changing, yet takes at least 1 year to change a cars design philosophy. How is even superman supposed to make changes to 500+ employees and technical culture in that time frame whilst running a team with a budget at least half of his previous teams?

Anyone with any experience in this field will tell you it takes at least 6 months if the stars are aligned and there are no major restrictions, changes and hurdles?

Add to that, a lot of resources have been poured into son Stroll which I'm sure could have been better utilised elsewhere.

I get the feeling that the Stroll family feel like they should just be able to pour money into a problem and then win that years WDC. That may work in a spec series, but that is a totally different unicorn to F1.

I'd be surprised to see much change until next year's car 'at the earliest'! Much to this fans frustration.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

LookBackTime

Mr Brooksy wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 14:20
This whole situation with Daddy Stroll smells awfully like the typical big CEO finding that their company is not meeting company projections. They throw more cash at it expecting results and fast whereas the root cause is usually not money it's culture.

How the heck is Paddy Lowe (like him or not) supposed to change the culture of a prototype technology/racing car team that has been stagnant for the better part of a decade under various TDs in 7 months?

I'd be surprised to see much change until next year's car 'at the earliest'! Much to this fans frustration.
Very well said!

My guess is that right now both parties (Williams and Daddy Stroll) are looking around (exploring) to have alternatives in case "the deal" it is not working for both of them (so they will have to "divorce").
Last edited by LookBackTime on 08 Aug 2017, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

LookBackTime

I have found the source of the rumor mentioned above on one of my posts:

Stroll sr. compra la Force India?
http://www.italiaracing.net/newsint.asp ... 9680&cat=1

Summary:

- this is one of the many rumors that emerged in Budapest's paddock on the weekend of the Hungarian Grand Prix.

- Mister Stroll, who joined Williams this season with $ 80 million support, would be thinking of changing the target and fully acquiring Force India.

- It is said that the presence of Vijay Mallya in the context of F1 World it is not liked very much by Liberty Media (see the legal saga of the Vijay Mallya).

- Stoll being the owner, Esteban Ocon or Sergio Perez would probably go to Williams.

- Felipe Massa would no longer have the reason to stay behind of Stroll.

- Pascal Wehrlein would move to Williams to replace Lance (Mercedes offering some incentives).

- these rumors do not arise by chance. Stroll entourage would like to put pressure on Williams, a team that, despite the arrival of Paddy Lowe, continues to live out of incomprehensible highs and lows.
Last edited by LookBackTime on 08 Aug 2017, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.

Sevach

I was going to point that out if Stroll goes to Force India, one of Perez or Ocon will be out of a job, maybe both... there's no telling what Lawrence Stroll as an owner might want.

LookBackTime

Sevach wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 16:13
I was going to point that out if Stroll goes to Force India, one of Perez or Ocon will be out of a job, maybe both... there's no telling what Lawrence Stroll as an owner might want.
Regarding Ocon I heard that Renault would like to get him !!!! This is their target. Not Carlos or Alonso.

It is hold in high regard there. Still I think Toto has the final word where Ocon will move in the future.

Manoah2u

Mr Brooksy wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 14:20

As a leadership consultant myself who operates in Asia (which is often said to be impervious to cultural change... Which it isn't) you can not expect to throw money at a cultural issue within a business and expect everything to fall into place especially in 7 months.

Add to that, F1 is ever changing, yet takes at least 1 year to change a cars design philosophy. How is even superman supposed to make changes to 500+ employees and technical culture in that time frame whilst running a team with a budget at least half of his previous teams?

Anyone with any experience in this field will tell you it takes at least 6 months if the stars are aligned and there are no major restrictions, changes and hurdles?

Add to that, a lot of resources have been poured into son Stroll which I'm sure could have been better utilised elsewhere.

I get the feeling that the Stroll family feel like they should just be able to pour money into a problem and then win that years WDC. That may work in a spec series, but that is a totally different unicorn to F1.

I don't know where this all is coming from, attacking the strolls.
first of all i have yet to see any real evidence they're looking elsewhere except for some tabloid talk made up on the spot out of nothing.
Then how on earth did you think they were thinking this would be the results?
They're pouring a lot - really a lot - of money in the team, and also for Stroll himself to achieve something.
Compared to not trashing money into something, you can and should expect some sort of results. That's normal, that's logic, that's pure mathematics.
Supposedly they are unhappy with the way Williams is heading - and they're d*mn right on that.
It's like their pace all of a sudden is completely gone.

If you've just poured millions into the team with the goal of improving and having a stable team to score points with, then something doesn't add up.

So what's the first place you go to? Sure the team principle, but in fact, the team TD is atleast just as much as a figure to confront in such a case. After all, it's a technical thing. And that man is Paddy Lowe.

And it really doesnt matter at all that he's there just 7 months. HE is the TD, HE is the adress point.
If i go to the grocery store and i discover one of the freezers is completely warm and hot, thus you can throw everything in there away, i confront the manager with that. HE is the one responsible. It doesn't matter if he just got there 3 days ago. He's in command, he needs to have the things in working order and condition. If i just paid for my deepfreezed groceries, i expect them to be deepfreezed.

What's the issue with defending the local manager then like he can't or shouldnt be adressed? There is a problem, it needs fixing. Nobody is personally attacking the manager, but the manager IS the adressing point. Whether he's there 10 years or whether he's there a day. That's how it works.

What is imho interesting about the supposed spat between Paddy Lowe and the Stroll camp is that there is mention of such, which is really bad publicity, really.

I mentioned i'm not impressed by Paddy Lowe before and i'm still not and i'm curious in what sense he could be responsible. Just like i'm convinced Ferrari's early year form is NOT thanks to Binotto but due to his predecessor.
And fact is, Ferrari - despite coming strong in Hungary - has been dropping back. I'm not saying Binotto now needs to get the boot, or that Lowe needs to be ditched , but somebody must be held accountable or responsible. That's the way it goes, so that it gets resolved.

And i'm 100% on the side of Strolls to say if they put in a gigantic amount of money and it's being trashed, that is unacceptable. There's only 1 camp where you can expect your money to go down an enless pit with no results and no thanks and that is Sauber.

This imho is pressure being put on the right place. If Lowe however then gets in a spat with them, that means he cracks under the pressure and that makes me wonder if he's really capable for the job, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

But the facts are simple.
Many millions have been injected in Williams, and as of late, their performances have dropped to near rock bottom level, and another fact is that this is not acceptable and something should be done accordingly.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"