2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Eddie_Temple

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

If there were any compromise about historical payments they should at least tie it to performance.

No race wins in a season, no historical payments.

Two seasons in a row without a win - privileges completely erased.

Can you imagine the meltdown if Ferrari had a winless season with that pressure? I'd pay to see that.
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

GPR-A duplicate2

Gridlock wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:Liberty Media ready to take Ferrari privileges.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
A certain 'journalist' has been hyperventilating about this on twitter, I take it Mr E is not happy.
The talk has been there ever since Liberty Media has started talks of taking over F1.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/ec ... s-20160912
[color=#0000FF]Report on 2016-09-12 13:45[/color] wrote:Power battle

The same report said Malone and Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne are also clashing, with the former wanting to end the fabled Italian team's special annual bonus payments.

Malone is quoted as having told Marchionne during recent negotiations: "Sue me! I have the time and the money."

TAG

and the first threat this year to leave the sport in 5, 4, 3....
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

bhall II

Never in a million years did I think I'd witness a spat between the owner of my hometown baseball team, the Atlanta "I Will Die a Fan" Braves, and the boss of my kinda, sorta, maybe favorite F1 team, Scuderia "I've Come Too Far to Give Up Now" Ferrari.

As it relates to the current fracas, Ferrari can be considered "labor," and Liberty/FOM/whatever can be considered "management." I tend to support the labor side in most labor disputes, because they're the ones most responsible for any given industry's revenues, and I will never begrudge attempts to pocket as much of it as possible.

Simply put, even if its role is undeniably important, no one pays to watch management do its job.

I've said it before: the problem is management's share of income, not that of any particular team.

That said, appearances can be misleading. For instance, the team that claims P10 in F1 earns significantly more than NASCAR's Champion.
Forbes, Feb 2016 wrote:The charter system is certainly reflected in our 2016 team valuations, though as Dewar suggests it's more of a gradual rise than a sudden explosion. The top ten teams are now worth an average $148 million, up 6% from last year - and that's despite losing MWR, formerly Nascar's seventh-most valuable outfit. In aggregate those teams generated nearly $1 billion in revenue last season.

First on the list, once again, is Hendrick Motorsports. The sport's top team has collected 11 championships, nearly double the next most successful team, and is home to three of the sport's top-paid drivers. A fourth, Chase Elliott, may be on the fast track to joining them after replacing Jeff Gordon in the No. 24 car and claiming pole position in this year's Daytona 500. We estimate the team generated over $20 million in pretax profits last year, helping push team value up to $375 million.

Closing in on the top spot is Joe Gibbs Racing, now worth $256 million. In 2015 the Toyota outfit added a fourth team, bringing on Carl Edwards to drive the No. 19 car, and took home the team's fourth championship with Kyle Busch. That success helped push on-track winnings up to $37 million last year. Neither Hendrick nor Stewart-Haas Racing, third on our valuation list ($195 million) cracked $28 million in prize money.
Also, as a percentage of total revenue, F1 teams (65%) collectively earn more than baseball players (38%), American football players (47-48.5%), and basketball players (~50%)

So, while it may look straightforward on the surface, it's actually anything but.

TAG

Tricky indeed, the expenditures are apples and oranges. I don't disagree that FOM takes a good chunk of the pie but there are things that can be done as well, the expenditures between F1 and NASCAR are apples and oranges, just in the logistics of running the team, not counting the R&D technical costs.

The low hanging fruit? I think that television rights profits split evenly (just as they do in Baseball) has to be a major part of the long term solution.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Cold Fussion

FrukostScones wrote:Liberty Media ready to take Ferrari privileges.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
Did you actually just link a google translated article into English of an article that was translated from English to Italian? Here is the actual article.

bhall II

TAG wrote:Tricky indeed, the expenditures are apples and oranges. I don't disagree that FOM takes a good chunk of the pie but there are things that can be done as well, the expenditures between F1 and NASCAR are apples and oranges, just in the logistics of running the team, not counting the R&D technical costs.

The low hanging fruit? I think that television rights profits split evenly (just as they do in Baseball) has to be a major part of the long term solution.
And NASCAR revenues are disbursed among 16 teams, not 10. There are caveats aplenty.

With regard to baseball's model, national contracts don't tell the whole story...

Source: Fangraphs

Teams are paid according to their value, not their level of performance.

TAG

bhall II wrote:With regard to baseball's model, national contracts don't tell the whole story...
Teams are paid according to their value, not their level of performance.
Which is precisely why I think it would be a good fit in the current state of F1. Right now the teams are paid a % according to how much time they've spend on screen.

The model needs to be split equally, across all teams. In Baseball they do something entirely different because there's so many team/games and local contracts. I haven't kept up with it but I know just a few years ago the model was that the teams in rich markets, regardless of their performance always got bigger television revenues. So the idea was to take a percentage, I think it was 33% of their individual local contract and put it in a pool. Every team did this, and then pool then was split evenly among all teams.

That model "could" be applied to the special payouts some teams get. Perhaps a % of that could be pooled and split among the bottom three teams.

Whatever, we're not going to fix it here but the problem remains, disparate payout and payouts not based on performance.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

bhall II

Remuneration in the entertainment industry, including the world of sports, is scarcely based upon performance; it just looks that way, because the best performers tend to be among the highest earners. In reality, performers are paid based upon management's assessment of the value added.

Dale Earnhardt Jr is NASCAR's highest-paid driver, even though he's never finished a season higher than P3 (and that was nearly 15 years ago). But, since he's far and away the sport's most popular driver, he's worth every penny to his employer and sponsors.

This is Ferrari's value...

Source: Autosport, F1 Racing, and Motorsport News fan survey

None of this should be taken to mean that I'm indifferent to the plight of the smaller teams; I just don't think it's the responsibility of any other team(s) to fix it.

TAG

And that's where Liberty Media comes in. They've got a task and a half, but they've also got plans. We shall see, I'm cautiously optimistic.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

iotar__

bhall II wrote:Remuneration in the entertainment industry, including the world of sports, is scarcely based upon performance; it just looks that way, because the best performers tend to be among the highest earners. In reality, performers are paid based upon management's assessment of the value added.

Dale Earnhardt Jr is NASCAR's highest-paid driver, even though he's never finished a season higher than P3 (and that was nearly 15 years ago). But, since he's far and away the sport's most popular driver, he's worth every penny to his employer and sponsors.

This is Ferrari's value...

http://i.imgur.com/YguVo1s.jpg
Source: Autosport, F1 Racing, and Motorsport News fan survey

None of this should be taken to mean that I'm indifferent to the plight of the smaller teams; I just don't think it's the responsibility of any other team(s) to fix it.
"This is Ferrari's value..."

You're evaluating team's value on one question media joke 'fan survey'? These are not exactly scientific instruments but a bit of fun.

bhall II

No, I've offered a reason for why the commercial rights holder might decide to pay one team more than the others, since most people seem to think that such decisions are arbitrary and/or without merit.

Value is ultimately a self-fulfilling concept, because it's determined by income and nothing else.

Afterburner

Media liberty, media liberty...

I watch F1 because of historical teams like Ferrari, Williams, Mclaren...

It's like if you're saying it's the same watching a Real Madrid game or a Sampdoria game, they're both good teams but the tickets prices are different for a good reason!

Media liberty should be focusing on fans and on bringing them to the races, get F1 near them and making F1 more spectacular, managing F1 purely like a business was my worst fear.

ringo

I think Ferrari deserves an unequal share. The are the indentify of formula1.
I don't think F1 will have any prestige without Ferrari. Imagine, for a moment, a Formula1 race without the red cars?
From the outside looking in, we will see some cars named after some relatively unknown british guys, a sugary drink, some french car, mercedes.. which isnt really an exciting brand. Formula1 needs ferrari.
For Sure!!

Vasconia

ringo wrote:I think Ferrari deserves an unequal share. The are the indentify of formula1.
I don't think F1 will have any prestige without Ferrari. Imagine, for a moment, a Formula1 race without the red cars?
From the outside looking in, we will see some cars named after some relatively unknown british guys, a sugary drink, some french car, mercedes.. which isnt really an exciting brand. Formula1 needs ferrari.
I agree that Ferrari itself is a great historical value for F1 but does it justify to receive more money and have some political privileges? I have my doubts.